“not quite sure..” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Jersey City

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Candlewood Suites Jersey City
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
Oslo, Norway
“not quite sure..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2005

We just returned from a 3 weeks trip to the USA and last stop was this place. We had booked the weeked special for their smaller rooms, telling that we might extend our stay, but when we did, we had to upgrade to the real suite for the last two days, being told that no smaller rooms were free. The prices were much higher, at first +$90/night, but then reduced with 20$ when the staff asked if I had an AAA card and then accepted my European sister org. card. I had seen a lower price on the web before we left, but didn't bring a computer to check if it was the best price at that time. The kitchenette was good, even if we would have loved a toaster owen instead of the regular microwave, to be able to really cook more. The bathrooms were ok, but could have used more hooks to hang towels, since they don't change them more than once a week unless you change them at the reception. The rack was over the top of the toilet and didn't give much space to hang anything. The beds seem all to be pretty small, what was a double in other hotels, and they were also a bit too firm to our taste. Only two pillows on the bed, with a single without a cover in the closet of the first room wasn't impressive. Lots of taxes gets added on as well, so for an European, having both states tax, room tax and a city tax added was pretty bad, it added more than 10 % to the bill. A mention of what it would be on their web site and on check in would be good. We also had a charge to our room from the cupboard honour system that wasn't belonging to us and my husband observed someone else complain about similar issues when he was down in the reception on another occation. It is pretty easy to get to the PATH Exchange station, and free parking is a bonus, but the next time I will compare with the Hyatt that is right by the PATH, not a few blocks to walk away from it.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank polarlady

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2005

This place is wonderful! The rooms are spacious and clean. Service is great, and that free parking was fantastic (parking in NYC for a few hours and almost fainted when I saw the prices).

So convenient to the PATH to downtown NYC, and the Newport mall nearby was a nice bonus.

This place ROCKS! Never going to stay anywhere else when I go to NYC.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2005

After searchng the internet for several hotels deals for NYC, I read all the reviews for this hotel. Since, I was alone and limited on funds, I decided to give this hotel a try. It worked out perfectly for me! I took the NJ Transit from the airport ($6.80) to the PATH ($1.50) as opposed to $22 for a share ride and $35 for a taxi. Once I was off the PATH, I walked to the hotel. There are scheduled times to be picked up from the PATH to the hotel (which isn't indicated on the webite). There are more scheduled times to other places as well. The walk wasn't bad because it took you past the Hudson river. You can clearly see NYC from the harbor. This is a beautiful site especially at night. All of NYC is lit. I was familiar with NYC's subway ($2.00) and eventually became familar with the NJ Transit (railroad train) and the PATH (NJ's subway). I used this method to go to Jersey Garden Mall from Newark's airport. There is a bus that leaves the airport beginning at 10:00 a.m. every 30 minutes and the last pickup from the mall is 8:40 p.m. What a shoppers dream!! I went back to NYC one evening around 9:00 p.m. and return around 11:45 p.m. I felt safe and had no problem at all. The police presence at night was a great comfort. I also walked to the grocery store and picked up a few items. This helped me to save money and NJ's sales tax is 3% compared to NYC's 8.25% - 8.65%. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again. The more expensive Hyatt is around the corner, but you can still enjoy the same view for less money! My final advice is if you use the NJ Transit or PATH make sure you ask an employee is you are on the right train. Do not ask anyone else. I made this mistake on my way to the airport to catch my plabe home. Luckily for me I had left the hotel early!

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank Cia976
Lisbon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2005

I stayed at the hotel in the second part of March, 2005. I stayed there for my first and my last night, which were a week apart.

I used PATH to get to the hotel from midtown Manhattan. The hotel was three blocks from the PATH station, very easy to find. You can also reach it via the Pavonia/Newport station, but I would not recomend it if you have luggage with you, because it is quite a few blocks father.

To get to the hotel from PATH, walk west (away from the waterfront, away from manhattan) for one block until you reach the light rail tracks. Turn right and walk for about 2-2.5 blocks (the blocks are not clear, so it may be just one block that's 2-2.5 blocks long). As soon as you turn right you'll be able to see the 9-story hotel building straight ahead a bit to the left. Keep going straight until you see the hotel entrance (it's on the far side of the building).

The Area Around the Hotel:
Most of the area has been recently redeveloped.
The harborside financial center is the primary employer of the area, with its office buildings.

There is a mall 2-3 blocks from the hotel, but I did not visit it so I cannot provide any info on that. The mall is located at the next light rail station (Hudson Bergen Light Rail, NJ Transit). Some of the area is still not redeveloped. There is an old power station that is falling appart. The station is closed but the building is still there, so what you get is a combination of old and new buildings.

The area is quiet at night. Contrary to many other parts of Jersey City, I did not feel uncomfortable walking from PATH to the hotel around 1AM. The streets were mostly empty (except for a few cars), but the area seemed safe.

The view from the waterfront is beautiful at night. You can see most landmark buildings lit up in Manhattan.

The Hotel:
The hotel itself is new. I stayed in the smallest room they had (Studio Suite).

They provide free laundry, free WIRED internet access (they will give you a LAN cable if you don't have one) and free movie tapes and audio CDs at the desk. Most, if not all, rooms have kitchenettes, three chanels of HBO and most national channels. Coffeemakers are also provided.

They also have a "cupboard" where you can buy snacks/breakfast/etc. The "cupboard" is on an honor system.

First Stay:
Check-in:
I arrived before checkin time. They had a room ready. Pay attention to the rate that they're asking you to initial. My rate on paper was $20 above what I agreed to when I booked on the website. They stated it was a human error of moving the numbers from the computer to paper and corrected the error after I showed them a printout of my confirmation letter. The staff were really courteous, not something I usually expect in a big city, and professional.

The Room:
The room was on the first floor. It is spacious and the price is a bargain (less than $100) compared to what I would find in Manhattan. The bathroom was also pretty spacious.

I didn't use the kitchenette, but it had everything a kitchen needs to have. It had a microwave, and a 2-burner electric stove.

I did not have a laptop, so I can't say anything about their internet access other than the fact that they offer it.

The bed was comfortable.

The room is pretty insulated and it's pretty quiet, except for the occasional faint sounds of the light rail, which passes right under the hotel's windows on the south side.

Checkout: Speedy without problems. I checked out very early and they held my luggage until the end of the day without problems.

Second Stay (a week later):
Checkin: No problems. I was shown what I was quoted.

The Room:
On the 4th or 5th floor. Everything I said about the first room applies to the second.

I used the laundry, which is free (except for detergent), and the equipment there is new, so I didn't have any problems.

Checkout: Also fine. The guy was even nice enough to print out my airline boarding pass when I asked him.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: EXCELLENT value for the money! Excellent hotel. Would definately stay again.

A few cons: They only do housekeeping once a week "in order to respect your privacy." However, you can exchange towels at the front desk if you wish.
Not a problem for me, since I only stayed there for one night.

The hotel is not in Manhattan, so it takes some time to get there, but it's obviously not the hotel's fault. If you want to stay here and go to Manhattan every day, count on spending an extra 15-30 minutes getting to/from Manhattan.

I will be posting a panorama of the second room later. Contact me if you have questions.

• Stayed March 2005
30 Thank Palal12
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2005

We were pleasantly surprised by the Candlewood Suites. We stayed on a Saturday night, and were able to take advantage of a special "weekend rate." Everything was clean in our suite, and service was great. The only thing that is preventing me from giving an "Excellent" review is the fact that the shower did not have a curtain liner, just the curtain, which was soaking wet at the end of my shower.

• Stayed April 2005
9 Thank ksteig
Allentown, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2005

The Suites is very clean and pretty and a 10 minutes walk to the $1.50
Path that takes you over to the World Trade Center in NYC where you can get a $2.00 subway to anywhere in NYC that you want.
The front desk has a language barrier. Foreign extraction which speaks very rapidly and difficult to always understand. Can be very frustrating at times.
Beautiful views of NYC skyline and safe parking are great!
If you are a decent walker, it is a very non-threatening place to stay and there is a great mall (Newport) nearby!

Stayed April 2005
8 Thank jennyo7
Monterrey Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2005

Great location, near PATH Stations, excelent option compared to expensive NYC hotels

• Stayed December 2004