We recently spent 2 nights here in a studio suite and were definitely NOT impressed. The reason I chose this hotel is because Candlewood Suites offers Priority Club's best reward deal at only 11,000 points per night, so our stay cost only 22,000 points total. But even with that in mind, this place was a disappointment.
To start with, when we checked in our keys didn't work. So I trekked back down to the desk and got new keys. This time the keys worked, but opened our door to a room that was already occupied. So we trekked back down to the desk a 3rd time and got a new room and keys, which finally worked out.
Next we immediately noticed that it was about 90 degrees in the room, even though the AC was running. This turned out to be due to the fact that the AC is smart enough to know when the room is empty and turns itself off. So every time we returned to the room we had to sweat for 10 minutes until the room cooled down again. Now I'm all for saving energy, but this is going too far.
As for the room itself, it had a slight but constant smell of Chinese food. And while it wasn't necessarily dirty or overly worn, it just had a cold dingy feeling to it. The room layout, the colors, the cheap furniture, etc. all reminded me of an old dorm room I had in college that I hated. The bed was terrible. The pillows had hair on them. The carpet was thin and a horrible red color. And I certainly can't forget to mention the absolutely obnoxious AC unit. This thing sounded like a turbo-jet every time it came on, and that was the only setting. There was no low or medium; only off or super-high which honestly necessitated doubling the TV volume when it came on, then turning it back down half way when it went off. This was one of the worst features of the room.
The bathroom was okay, except for the dozen or so foot long hairs that were on the shower curtain and floor. That was really gross. There was also a lack of hot water our last morning. But otherwise the shower was pretty good with nice pressure.
Another odd thing about this place that is certainly a negative is the maid service, or I should say lack of maid service. Apparently the maids only come once a week. The other days you can exchange your dirty towels and sheets at the front desk. Again, this took me back to my dorm days, which is not a way for a hotel to endear itself to me.
There were a few positives, so I'll list them here: The location was decent, just a 10 to 15 minute walk to the PATH. The parking was free and seemed pretty secure. The gym was decent. There was a DVD player in the room and the TV was a good size. That's all I can think of.
So in the end I am rating this place 2 stars instead of one. I do this only because of the location and the possibility of getting a good price. If you can use points for a reward stay, and can deal with sleeping in a dumpy place, then it is an okay deal. But if I were paying cash, I wouldn't pay more than $100 to $125 per night. Any more than that and you could do much better with Priceline.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and experience our new Comforts of Home bedding collection.The Candlewood Suites Jersey City is the only all suites hotel in the heart of the financial district of Jersey City, 214 suites, 8 floors, conveniently located near Harborside Financial Center, Exchange Place and Newport Financial Center. If New York City is your destination, the hotel is conveniently located between Exchange Place and Pavonia Path Stations. These trains will take you directly to midtown or lower Manhattan. Each spacious suite has a full kitchen complete with microwave and full size refrigerator. Work efficiently at your over-sized executive desk with free high-speed Internet access and two separate phone lines - check email and talk on the phone at the same time. Relax in the overstuffed recliner while you enjoy the CD player and VCR. Work off some stress in our fitness center or visit our Candlewood Cupboard. Whether your trip is for business or pleasure, our hotel can offer you the best value in the Jersey City and New York City area.Check out our special 'City Pass Package', which focuses on making your New York vacation more affordable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), IHG, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Candlewood Suites Jersey City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites Jersey City Hotel Jersey City
- Candlewood Jersey City
- Jersey City Candlewood Suites
- Candlewood Suites Jersey City New Jersey