“Sudden cancellation even though payment was done months ago”

NYC-JC Guest Suites
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The owner called shortly before our arrival, saying that they had to cancel - even though I'd payed the entire stay months ago. So expect surprises - like getting a heart attack 'cause you suddenly have no place to stay! Rooms look nice, though.

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank Kim L

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed at a 1BR at 70 Greene St. The room was nice, the generic IKEA furnishings kind of nice but fine.

In January, with temperatures below zero, the heat did not work for two nights. I was there on business and exhausted so I took all the extra blankets and tried my best to sleep as I returned to the hotel late in the evening and there is no front desk to speak of. They also have to make an 'appointment' to charge for the room which is very inconvenient when you're there on business and they called and emailed constantly reminding me to pay them.

I had a cigarette in the room next to the window and left it on the ledge because I did not want to throw it out the window, and yes it is a non-smoking room. They let maintenance into my room without notifying me at all and charged me $250 for smoking. I can understand the charge, but how they handled it was completely unacceptable. The property manager phoned me and *lectured* me for 30 minutes after I answered telling him I was in a meeting; they can charge me or they can lecture me but both I found too much.

I mentioned the two nights without heat and the fact they they allowed people into the room (which has no safe) without my permission. They blamed Hurricane Sandy for the heat problem (which it wasn't-- they ran out of oil) and continued to lecture me as if I was a teenager. They continued to send 'reminders' about smoking while I stayed there and I checked out a day early to avoid further abuse, which they did not credit me for. It was the rudest most dishonest treatment I'd ever seen-- and this is Jersey City.

Room Tip: Stay at a real hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sabai_sabai
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Very nice property in Jersey City. Close to NY very modern updated suites/apartments with washer dryer, full kitchens granite tops, fridge, stove, dishwasher and oven. Clean with great views from 41st flooor. Get a NYC view if possible. Highly reccomend. Parking can be an issue, its cheaper if you go to the downtown area (blocks away) and get a visitors parking pass for a your visit.. you only pay a few dollars a day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Traveluxx
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

We (family of 4) stayed for 4 nights in a 2 room guest suit with perfect view both to Manhatten and Statue of Liberty/ Elis Island. Our kids loved the view and the gym. If you are arriving in New York, take the Path subway from WTC over to Exchange Place. Fast and convient. Hotel offers also transport services from Newark to/from hotel. Nice and friendly service. Book via their web pages.
Jersey City is quite during night time so you should have a good sleep. Good grocery store around the corner if you need something to eat/drink or just some breakfast.
Owner is very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Henrik B
Reviewed 9 November 2012

First of all don't think of this place as a classical hotel. There is no reception or service team per se that you see face to face. We hardly found two towels in our apartment. We really doubted that the place was clean. There was no service personnel to clean or help you with anything.
Second, they charged my credit card for the full price during reservation, months before our stay. When we arrived, we were given an apartment at the 44th floor of a 49 floor condo building. The keys were inside, the door was open. Then came the hurricane Sandy. There was no power, no water. Elevators were out of order. There was nobody that you could ask for help or talk about these problems. My wife is pregnant so we rushed out and moved to a hotel in Manhattan that could provide basic services. When I asked for a refund, they said this is a natural disaster and my request is "unreasonable".
I believe if you are providing lodging services, you need to make sure you are providing basic services like electricity, heating, water and elevator to 44th floor, or be ready to reimburse customers to whom you can not provide these services - especially if you are collecting the price well in advance, before the service is delivered, and also if the service is not used.
This company is not a service company. They are just subletting apartments in their portfolio. In short, stay out of this place!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank YalcinY
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We were several people whod'd booked and payed the whole amount months before arrival - yet the company called a couple of days before arrival, telling us there had been some "overbooking issues". They actually did not promise that they would find alternatives.

At arrival, they fortunately had found alternatives - but we would have to pack our stuff and move 2-3 times during our stay.

Apartments were very nice, but to treat paying customers this way is just horrible.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank AndAndW
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My family decided to stay with NYC-JC after hearing some good feedback from friends. Upon checking, in we were told there was an overbooking and we no longer had the 2 bedroom apartment we requested at their 70 Greene location. We were put into one of their one bedroom studio type rooms at their Brunswick location. It was a much longer walk to the Path station and no view of NYC.

We made the reservation a few months beforehand, there is no reason our room should of been overbooked since we received a confirmation email. We received no phone call or email telling us of the issue. We would of rebooked somewhere else had we of known. Maybe this was the intention so they could keep some of the money.

We had 5 people in our group and we were told we will receive extra beds (at no charge) to accommodate. I have attached a photo that my husband took of our room. As you can see, the room had 2 bunk beds, a bed in front of the television, and one along side the wall which blocked access to the bathroom due to the breakfast buffet. The other bed is inside where the bunk beds are on the left wall that can't be seen.

We were not happy at all. We were unable to enjoy the room due to the fact there was beds everywhere. We asked if we would be able to move to a more spacious room and were told no due to the overbooking. It was a complete nightmare.

Upon reading some of the recent reviews, I agree with the service aspect. It definitely felt that the staff were being worked like dogs. Definitely have an understaffing issue. Most of the staff except the cleaners working there seemed to be just out of college that I dealt with. They were very nice and I felt bad they have to deal with this business environment. I would never let my kids work here.

Lastly, I will never recommend this hotel to anyone. When I was in my early twenties, I traveled around Europe and stayed at hostels. This hotel reminded me of the European hostels I used to stay in except with nicer furnishings (Ikea). My family was crammed into a room without any other options. I later learned this hotel is Norwegian owned which makes sense for the European hostel feeling.

There are many more hotel options in the NYC area. I can't believe this hotel is still in business. When operating in a tourist location such as NYC, there has to be a highly competitive edge since hotels are everywhere. In the words of my husband, "this hotel has no value proposition, there are 100 companies that do the same thing in the NYC area and offer a better experience."

Lesson learned! Do not stay here.

Room Tip: Never know since you could be given a different room due to overbooking.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
#136 of 469 in New York City
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
#280 of 469 in New York City

Been to NYC-JC Guest Suites? Share your experiences!