“Love it! But”
Review of Max’s Restaurant

Max’s Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Max’s Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 635 Restaurants in Jersey City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Philippine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining style: Home Style
Description: In 1945, after World War II, Maximo Gimenez, a Stanford-educated teacher, befriended American troops stationed at Quezon City, Philippines. A few of the soldiers would come to his house for a drink or two. Eventually they insisted that they pay for their meals. It was then that Maximo decided to open a cafe that served chicken, steak and drinks. To help him with the cafe, his wife Mercedes, and his sister-in-law Felipe, joined him there together with her niece Ruby, who managed the kitchen with her husband, Claro. It was Ruby who created a special recipe for chicken, which was so delicious, tender, juicy and crispy that the G.I.S coming back for more. Soon enough, it became a legend with the Filipino public too. Encouraged by her mother to expand the menu and serve more Filipino food, Ruby set up a restaurant along Roxas Boulevard in the Baclaran district of Paranaque. It was decided that the restaurant would be named "Max's", which was Maximo's nickname. Over the years, Max's Restaurants grew in popularity and became known as "The House That Fried Chicken Built." Max's now operates over a hundred restaurants all over the Philippines. Max's aims to be a competitive international brand, and has expanded its operations to other countries overseas as well. It now has branches in North America (the first was opened in 1982) and the Middle East. We will continue to broaden our reach as we open new restaurants around the world in the years to come.
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I love the food here, everything from soup to desert. We usually order a "Table for 5 - B" and then add a couple of dishes. My only complaint is the sometimes lackluster service; sometimes the cashier or waitstaff act as if they are doing you a favor by doing their jobs, it's a little disappointing.

1  Thank HarveyWallbanger2013

Reviewed 19 December 2013

It is good for the adventurous and sophisticated palate if you know what to order. Prices are moderate, the place is cozy and clean; they are very accommodating and welcoming to their patrons.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Tastiest chicken in town! But it doesn't stop with that for they also serve beef oxtail, pork, fish and vegetable dishes that would satisfy your taste buds.
My favorite includes the Kare-kare, fresh lumpia, lechong kawali and of course the spring chicken :9 don't forget the mango smoothie and buko panda for dessert.
Sarap to the bones!

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I came here with family 3 times last month & one of my main complaints is inconsistency with both the food & service. The first time I came I ordered the Fiesta Plate which came with a fried chicken leg quarter, garlic rice, fried lumpiang ubod & flan. The chicken was very good - well seasoned, crispy, moist. The ubod was great, too. The 2nd time I came was on a weekend. I don't know if they were taking short cuts or they just couldn't keep up because they had a lot of customers, but this time the chicken was overcooked & dry. The ubod wasn't as fresh & it seemed as if it was heated in a toaster oven. We did order stuff that were good like the Max's teasers (shanghai, calamari) & nilaga. The crab rice was awesome. The kare-kare was mediocre. The flan wasn't smooth & had bubbles. The 3rd time was a mixed bag. The chicken was dry, the ubod seemed like it came out of the toaster oven or placed under a heat lamp for awhile, & the chicken sisig tasted like a bland chicken salad put on a buttered sizzling plate. Another thing that bothered me was they didn't have enough ubod. They ran out & it wasn't even dinner service yet. I mean, it is one of their more popular items, but I've never been to a chain restaurant that ran out of their most popular items. Maybe it was just me. The halo halo was alright. So were the caramel bars. Anyway, the chopsuey, crab rice, crispy tentacles & sago gulaman were good. As for service, the first 2 times I was here, the waitstaff was on point - friendly & attentive. They always checked up on us & gave us updates on our food. The 3rd time, the waiter was impatient & inattentive. My advice is to come here on a weekday when they're not swamped & there's more parking.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Love the chicken!! Taste the same as the chicken in the Philippines. The kare-kare (oxtail stew in peanut butter sauce) with bagoong (shrimp paste) and the fresh lumpia (spring roll) is to die for. It's a taste of Manila right here in the East Coast. And the prices are reasonable too.