“A pity, really.”

The Bistro at Grove Square
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bistro at Grove Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 616 Restaurants in Jersey City
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Pizza, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Description: Grove Square offers those in Jersey City a place to find delicious bistro style food, fresh-brewed coffee, decadent wine, and by-the-slice pizza. The Bistro at Grove Square is our main restaurant that is a vintage subway station-styled eatery that features Mediterranean comfort food and artisan pizzas. The Bistro continuously has 16 craft beers on tap at all times. Stop by The Wine Bar at Grove Square and experience our decadent wine selection. We offer many different specialty wines and sure to find the right glass for you. The Coffee Shop at Grove Square offers up fresh-brewed coffee and cafe style lunch all in a relaxing atmosphere. Favia Pizza at Grove Square is a walk-up by-the-slice pizza joint that offers high-quality pizza at a low price. Favia Pizza is a great place to stop by for those looking for a quick lunch. At Grove Square we hope that your visit to one of our restaurants is an experience that you won't quickly forget.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is a waste of a wonderful location. We stopped in for midday brunch on Sunday, and I couldn't believe how consistently bad the experience was. The place was freezing, as was, consequently, the food. We ordered coffee and tea, and it came 1/2 hour later, with our food order. Everything brought to our table was wrong. I ordered decaf, they brought regular cold mud. She ordered tea, and she got the same cold mud that I did. No pot when they finally did bring the tea, just a cup of tepid water and teabag. My friend ordered buttermilk pancakes, she got, again, the same thing I ordered, Whole wheat pancakes with fruit. She ordered eggs to go along with her pancakes, and she literally had to pour the water off of the soggy concoction that came out as scrambled eggs. They never asked how she might like them, either. The staff was usually MIA, and when they were around, they seemed so sedated, I didn't dare rouse them with a complaint. This was unbelievably bad. If I weren't so happy to see my old friend I had met for brunch, they would have had a real scene on their hands. What a shame. The prices are high, and completely unjustified, as evidenced by what I have written here.

1  Thank Jim D

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stopped in after being in NYC all day. The location near the Grove Street PATH train station is ideal. The design inside is unique and looks kinda like a cafe inside a subway. very different. The menu was varied and featured pizzas, sandwiches, salads and entrees. A great selection and in our party of 4 we all got different items. Two people in our group shared a pizza and said it was especially good. My steak sandwich was actually a sliced piece of beef...cooked medium rare steak (like I asked for) - not minute steaks or the like. (I was pleasantly surprised by that) My date enjoyed the blackened fish sandwich. We had local micro brew beers and they were enjoyed by all. Our only complaint- the pizza came out before the sandwiches and there was an awkward delay (2 people eating, 2 waiting) and the steak sandwich was supposed to have onion rings as a side - not French fries. Overall, the flavors of the food were very good.

1  Thank Tom M
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I hosted our Wedding Reception for 40 people in the private Wine Bar Room. From the minute we walked in to check out the space, we were taken by the overall look of the restaurant and the greeting and interest from David, the GM. We planned the party and found that the entire staff was helpful throughout the night. The FOOD was FANTASTIC!!! The entire night was COMPLETELY MEMORABLE!!! We have received calls all day from family and friends wondering when we are going back to the restaurant for dinner!!! Thanks again to Bistro At Grove Square for making our party such a GREAT TIME!!!!!!

JImmy Voorhees and Santiago Sibert

1  Thank Santi-Jimmy
Reviewed 5 November 2013

One of the best restaurants in Jersey City; FANTASITC LOCATION at the Grove Path train!

The bar is super with a great Happy Hour. Food is always fresh and delicious. Pizza is amazing. Always a fun experience.

1  Thank Dan F
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Hey people this place looks ok small tables service nothing like nyc. Needs a lot of work still. Food needs improvement. Lack of consistancy. Owner needs to orchestrate kitchen properly. Decor nice.