“Good Hotel, Great Value, Fantastic Service:)”
Review of The Holland Hotel

The Holland Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed the week-end before Valentine's Day and was really happy with this hotel. Everything was really clean and all the staff was fantastic and incredibly helpful. Even just walking by the groundskeeper in the morning (it was so cold to be working outside!), he made a point to smile and say hello. Great job to management for having a great team of employees:)

Whenever I visit NYC, I normally stay in Manhattan which means I pay a fortune for parking (only to have my car damaged by parking attendants) and for lodging (exorbitant prices for tiny spaces), which is not ideal. From now on, its easy, I will be staying here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank justducks

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed from jan 28 to jan 31, I came from Miami driving with wife sister and kid to get to know manhattan, this hotel is a pearl hidden at the entrance of the holland tunnel no need to move the car into manhattan, no tunnel or bridge tolls just walk 15 minutes from this hotel to the path station and voila!! Lots of security cameras all along your walk, My car was parked for free in the parking lot of this holland motor lodge for three days included in the room rate (believe or not), Staff very friendly and committed.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank rmorenof
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My wife & I were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room, it was'nt the standard we are use to. but it was clean , and the location was just a short walk to the PATH station. So getting into Manhattan was about 15 min. Also the free parking is really hard to find in this area . The staff were very helpful as well. There is a Burger king right next door .
We read in other reviews that there was road noise, But we were right next to the road and it was'nt an issue.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike-kellie
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I needed to stay 2 nights in or near Hoboken and didn't want to spend more than $150/night just for a safe clean room, good bed and hot shower. I picked the Holland Motor Lodge based on TripAdvisor reviews (average grade 4.2 out of 5) and was fully satisfied. For that price I was prepared to get an old, but hopefully clean room, and would have been happy with it; instead my room and the hallway and stairs were like new.

ROOM
- looked newly remodeled, the only thing that didn't look brand new, but was clean, was the double, sliding shower door closing the tub area, and its track
- no smell, no dust, no dirt, no stain
- clean carpet
- bright enough lights
- safebox
- fridge 3-ft tall
- small microwave
- TV (not the giant flat screen)
- chest of drawers
- table
- excellent office armchair (5 wheels, tall back, adjustable)
- NO closet, just a wall-mounted rack with 9 non-removable hangers
- a foldable suitcase stand
- wall-mounted hairdryer
- iron and ironing table available on request with a deposit of $25 or a credit card
- firm bed, new-looking linens
- 2 nightstands
- phone
- clock radio
- free wifi worked perfectly every time (I've stayed at expensive, big chain hotels where it didn't)
- CAUTION while showering, the water turned hotter once, then turned cooler once.

NOISE
- turned off the room fridge overnight
- could hear traffic noise but it didn't interfere with laptop use, TV watching, or sleeping

GETTING THERE:

- from the Manhattan hotel where I had stayed the night before (only because someone else paid for the $399 room with no free wifi!), and from which I had checked out, first the concierge called a taxi, but the driver wanted $85 (after all, my destination was in a whole 'nother state!), so I said pfff! and walked 20 blocks (among lotsa normal people on a Thu around 6 pm, on clean sidewalks, in nice cool weather) to...

- the PATH commuter train station that's half a block south of 33rd St on the west side of Ave of the Americas. I bought a $2 ticket from the machine, which accepted either cash (I used dollar bills) or a credit card. I fed the magnetic-stripe ticket to the turnstile, which ate it (didn't return it)...

- took the train to HOBOKEN--the big bright blue letters were clearly visible on the front of the train--and arrived in Hoboken minutes later

- followed the TAXIS signs to the street and walked to the front of the long line of taxis

- when driver pulled up and asked where I wanted to go, I shouted "Jersey City" (taxis are commonly shared by strangers going to same areas) then climbed in and driver knew "Holland Motor Hotel" (close by, well known, but I knew the street address 175 12th St just in case of need)

- minutes later I was at the hotel for a fare of $10 (+ tip)

- next morning in bright daylight, I confirmed my nighttime impression that even though it's just over 1 mile to the Hoboken PATH station, I wouldn't walk (except in a group, and only in the daytime) because on the way, there are between 2 and 4 blocks, depending on how you view them, that are deserted, and perhaps not safe for a woman walking alone and pulling a suitcase.

- there is a closer Newport PATH station but I wouldn't walk there alone either.

- this meant that I went to Hoboken and back by taxi for a fare of $10 (+ tip) for each ride

- for guests who drive, the hotel is at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, therefore easy to find

BREAKFAST in lobby included
- coffee, decaf, hot water for tea...
- cereal and milk
- croissant, muffins, danishes, big, fresh, and quite good (I've had better croissants in France, but I've also had lesser croissants in France)
- big beautiful bananas, red apples, oranges

DINNER
- the only place where I felt comfortable (safe) walking after dark was the Burger King next door, where the freshly cooked, piping hot fries were as good as fries get, and the chicken and fish sandwiches were much better than I expected--yummy
- or I could have had Italian (including pizza) or Chinese food delivered
- or I could have taken taxis to restaurants

PARKING ample

STAFF nice and helpful

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I had requested a non-smoking room upstairs and picked a king over two queens, and got an impeccable...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Factual
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This was our second stay in so many years at this motel. Have to mention Michael at reception upon our arrival ... friendly and helpful ... so was the rest of the staff during our 4-day stay. Very clean, comfortable and quiet room facing parking area. Free parking, free WiFi and adequate continental breakfast within a short walk to PATH station and $2 ride to Manhattan ... at a price hard to beat. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: upper floors overlooking motel parking area
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Minuses: (1) Not high end, plain to the bone; (2) Room decor not modern nor chic nor pretty; (3) no elevator.

Pluses: (1) Bargain without being scary in clientele (lots of European travelers); (2) Free parking; (3) Close to PATH train into NYC also close to a mall in JC, a Burger King, and gas stations (walking distance); (4) extremely affordable; (5) free breakfast foods (but mostly bread and cereal); (6) free coffee always; (7) front desk staff (especially in morning and daytime) extremely courteous; (8) for the most part, clean and tidy in room and around hotel grounds.

You get what you pay for. If you need the price break to make your trip, this is a bargain. But, if you want a luxurious NYC experience, this hotel is not for you. The beds were comfortable, in room refrig (no micro), in room cable (with lots of channels), the shower and bathroom were clean, shower had good pressure and hot water. I have stayed here twice and both times had no bad experiences with services. I like the convenience but I don't spend a lot of time in the room--only end and beginning of day. PATH now comes out of WTC, so very quick trip to JC from NYC.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room on the "parking lot side" of the hotel and you will not hear the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank historia34
Reviewed 16 December 2011

i stayed for two nights at this hotel because of the proximity to my work place.
the hotel is clean but there is a certain smell and outdated feel of bathroom, decor, TV,..etc.
It is ok for one or may be two nights but I would not recommend it for an extended stay or a romantic gateway.
The front desk staff was very nice,friendly, and helpful; breakfast in the morning is in the lobby with no place to sit. Either you grab something for the road or you go back to eat in your room.
There are many restaurant, and shopping places within a short walk as well the Path train that takes you to Manhattan.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business