“Still my No. 1 in Jersey City”
Review of The Holland Hotel

The Holland Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I went back to the holland motor lodge this June for 12 nights for the second time and it is still everything I was looking for. It's no fancy hotel but if you are looking for glamour you have to go to manhattan and pay tripple the price. location is good, I love going to the mall on the other side of the road, best buy and target are nearby and it easy and cheap to get to the airport or to manhattan. the hotel is clean and has everything I need including breakfast, a tv, fridge, ... What should I expect more for 75 USD per room???
Great service, friendly staff, everything was great and I definetely will come back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 July 2010

This is a nice hotel in a little bit run down area. But the hotel itself makes up for the area. The breakfast is fresh donuts. The location is great and so is the price.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We were very excited to stay at this hotel for our family's road trip this summer. The reviews sounded great and it was extremely affordable. We arrived there in the late afternoon and had a hard time finding the hotel. The first thing I noticed when we walked in is the BULLET PROOF GLASS in the lobby. Now this already alerted me but we decided to give this hotel a try because of the great reviews. The room was older but looked clean. We went to NYC and was happy that the train station was only a 10 min walk. When we came back we tried to settle in our room. I plugged in my laptop and sat at the desk to check e-mail when I felt a roach crawl over my foot!!!! I jumped back and saw it go into the air system. I went to the lobby with my daughter to complain and had to wait while two men where getting a room with two prostitutes. That night I found another hotel and checked out the next day. All I can say positive about this hotel is that the staff is very nice and friendly. No other reviews mention:
Bullet Proof Glass (No other hotels in the area have them)
No Elevators
At night that 10 min walk can be a bit scary (it is lighted though)
ROACH! (I only saw one but still...)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank kathy00143
Reviewed 24 June 2010

This hotel went well beyond my best expectations. Location is great. About a 15 min. walk at most to Path Train. Take it to 33rd st. in NY. and transfer almost anywhere.Terrific mall about a five minute walk with good inexpensive food from all over the world. Try the Great Khan Mongolian Barbecue. For less than eight bucks stuff yourself, and I mean stuff, with great cuisine. Best of all to my way of thinking there is a terrific liquor store ,Buy Rite ,across the street from the motel.If there is alcohohol in it they sell it. True Nirvanah.
The motel itself is very clean and the staff are terrific at helping clueless tourists find their way.The rooms are well kept with all channel tv ,a rerigerator ,and a microwave .The continental breakfast is yummy The pastries are terrific and there is fruit and cereal to boot. Pig out cause donuts etc. are there all day.I felt safe every where I went ,and there are cops all over the place because the Holland Tunnel is down the street. By the way surprisingly this motel must have more soundproofing than anywhere else. All the traffic near the tunnel and I slept like a baby
A few tips : Get the new york city pass before you leave for NY. Good prices .Good Guide book.Take time to plan your day and learn transit routes Also take the Tour Bus that picks upat the motel ,one of the few that will get you in NJ. We paid less than 50 bucks a pop for it and it is a great orientation for NY.The guy that owns the tour is hands onand makes sure you get what you pay for.Also ,not only are the people at the motel helpful ,but contrary to a common misperception, NewYorkers in general are damn nice. Do not hesitate to ask when lost. Ask the cop, the subway ticket guy and people on the street.In fact 3 times someone noticed us standing like deer in the headlights and offered help.
Holland Motel . You cannot beat it, Did I say we paid 75 bucks anight 85 with taxes. Hell you cant hardly find that rate in some dump anywhere in USA. Holland Motel you gotta try it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PeripateticOLdGuy
Reviewed 24 June 2010

This place suited our needs perfectly. It only cost $23 to get from Newark airport to the Lodge on a prebooked taxi and once there the room was more than comfortable with a reasonable standard decor and cleanliness. The room had a fridge and a microwave, which was very useful for us with a young child of nearly 3. Of course, you do get the standard radio alarm clock and TV too. Phonecalls out were easy enough as there's a payphone in the basement. Breakfast was limited, with it served in reception but consisting mostly of pastries and donuts, but also some cereals and fruits as well as tea and coffee. It's enough to fill you and keep you going, as well as taking a nibble for the road.

To get to NY, it's only $1.75 on the PATH and takes 10 minutes brisk walk to get to the station. Reception will give you a map on request. It doesn't take more than 20 minutes to get into Downtown NY and it's worth the saving as this place cost the same for 5 nights as I paid for 2 nights in NY later on in my trip due to attending a wedding. There was never a problem getting a train back late at night and the walk back appears safe enough.

In short, I'd stay again and recommend anyone else to stay here to save money and you don't mind a short commute into town.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I thought the Holland Motor Lodge was in a very good location and only minutes to the PATH train, so you can be in Manhatten in no time at all. Even though the motor lodge is located next to the Holland Tunnel, the noise levels really aren't that bad. Very good, clean service. I was surprised that the rooms were serviced daily, with fresh towels. Also a surprise to be offered a continental breakfast and all day coffee and tea facilities. I would definitely recommend this motel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank loosea
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Front desk staff were friendly, room was cleaned on daily basis with fresh towels provided every day. Tea and coffee always available beside the front desk area were bagles and croissant are provided in the mornings. No room service available and no kitchen but vendng machines for snacks and possibility of delivery available. Microwave available outside room and safe at the front desk.
The room is not spacious but clean with a privatebathroom, TV and aircondition.
Great location with a diner,big Mall and supermarket close by. Also close to subway station and free parking available.
What I liked most was the honesty of the staff
What I liked least was waking up to the voices of the cleaning ladies everyday at 7 a.m.!

• Stayed: May 2010