“Best breakfast/brunch in Jersey City”
Review of Sam A.M.

Sam A.M.
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: sam a.m. is a daytime café celebrating breakfast daily! We feature hearty and rustic breakfast and lunch fare and specialize in southern inspired dishes like biscuits and gravy and chicken and waffles. We are open select evenings for our supper club and private events.
“Best breakfast/brunch in Jersey City”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I love everything about this place. It has a cozy home feel and the food is always delicious. They have a small menu but everything I've tried from it was wonderfully made. Not huge portions but you definitely don't leave hungry. It's pretty small and gets packed on the weekends but I have never had to wait more than 20 minutes for a table. Plus the coffee is really delicious so have a cup while you wait. When I found this place I ate here atleast three times a week so sad tht I moved and can only come every now and then!

• Visited November 2013

• Finnish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Best things come in small packages”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stopped by Sam A.M for coffee but taken in by the quaint charm and friendliness stayed for breakfast... Great decision! We sat at the bar and enjoyed chatting to the staff who were exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Small in size, seats about 20, but HUGE on flavour.. Great coffee, amazing French toast and awesome breakfast sandwich! Menu offers more than enough options and has a strong southern influence with biscuits, gravy, pulled pork and chicken waffles! Not wanting to spread the word too far so as to retain the idyllic ambient environment which Sam A.M provides, this is a great breakfast joint!

• Visited May 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“What a great find!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We were coming back from a weekend in NY & called our son to meet for breakfast in Jersey City where he lives. This is a small place and doesn't take reservations for breakfast or lunch. We got in quickly, however and sat at the counter. There are several tables. There are the usual breakfast offerings, plus biscuits and gravy and also chicken and waffles. My husband and I tried the chicken and waffles. They were delicious and not the heavy meal you would expect. I saw it before I ordered, or might not have ordered. There are nice moist bites of chicken served over a fluffy waffle covered by a light chicken gravy (no dairy in it) and drizzled with a little cranberry syrup. The gravy was nicely seasoned and I believe had a little sage in it. I enjoyed every bite and did not feel overly full after it. My son had the eggs, bacon and sourdough toast and split French toast with his father. We all enjoyed our meals and the coffee. The service was excellent and the chef very friendly. We enjoyed visiting with him a little. They are open for breakfast and lunch. I believe they just started some kind of supper club as well. I have a feeling this restaurant may soon outgrow it's space and need a larger one. I can see it being very popular once people find it and get a chance to try it. I know we want to make a trip back up and eat there again! This was the best breakfast I have ever had out. And that includes the expensive, fancy places.

• Visited March 2014
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Neighborhood Gem”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My partner and I live in the neighborhood and have been ecstatic to have such a delicious, quaint restaurant nearby. I was even more ecstatic to learn that they serve stumptown coffee which is a top choice for a coffee snob like myself. The breakfast is delicious, they keep the menu small but they perfect everything they serve. I bring every friend or visiting relative I can to this spot and they are never disappointed! The lunch is also great but I don't eat gluten so I'm limited to just the salads (the sandwiches look amazing). The place is small which adds to its charm and local feel, however be ok with grabbing a cup of coffee and relaxing before being seated on a weekend. Truly a gem that adds to the emerging culinary scene in Jersey City, thanks Sam A.M. for being a part of the neighborhood!!!!!

• Visited February 2014
New York, NY
“Great breakfast/lunch spot”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My partner and I live a block from Sam AM and were so happy that such a nice, charming restaurant opened up nearby. The baked good are delicious, and the coffee amazing (although a bit pricey for a cup of takeout). Lunch is very nice too. Welcome to the 'hood!

• Visited December 2013