“You'll feel at home”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 28 April 2012

White Star is a great neighborhood hang with great food, a variety of beers, and tremendous specials all week long. When my parents come to visit, this is the place they request. Once the weather is warm, they set up a lovely outside space. I like all of the sandwiches and salads, and the favorite of our guests is always one of the burgers - no frozen, pre-made patties here.

There are newer reviews for White Star

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I often travel by myself for business. In Jersey city there are a number of very sterile bars down by the hotels. This place is a bit of a walk but definatley not sterile. The bartenders are a bit stand offish but that is typical of all bars in Jersey City. They play good music and the regulars are easy to speak with.
Surprisingly, the food is fantastic!!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

It's a tight space, and the tables are pretty much on top of each other - but it doesn't stop people from cramming in. Everyone is really friendly. It's tough to get a table if you show up too late into the night - but trust me, you'll want one, and you'll want to order the jalapeno poppers - they are THE BEST. You might as well order two rounds, but let them cool off first or you'll burn your tongue.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Great local place. Food and service are always good. Great place to watch sports and specials everyday.

Reviewed 23 May 2010

The reason that I even checked out White star Bar in JC, is not because i was looking for it, but just happened to come across very good reviews online in passing. I do live in NJ and am in need of some decent bars/restaurants with good food, good and reasonable drinks, and a decent and fairly mature atmoshere (you know, no 20's crowd only)

Over the past 2 weeks I had been asking some people to join me there. I saw a Saturday special of $4 Absolut Vodka mixed drinks on the menu which coincidently is my main choice of affordable alcoholic beverages when I can't go for Grey Goose or Ciroc.

I then called to White Star to ask if the special is all day, and asked about the bar atmosphere (age etc). I was assured that the Absolut special was all day, and that I would come in and have a great time.

Low and Behold, this past Saturday I happened to be in the area for a baby shower and decided to stop in on my way home. Nothing was as I had earlier imagined.

Someone said it has the feelings of Cheers...didn't see that. I searched for a table for 2, and ended up at a table for 4 in the back because that was all that was available besides the one that was nearly behind the front door. Upon sitting there, the waitress informed and me and my party that if some others enter the bar we would have to move. Hmm..nice 1st impression. I was spending money there.

The next thing was..I asked for the Absolut special and was told that I am mistaken, and that the special is Svedka Vodka. It is a less expensive brand that can substituted for Absolut..but lower quality. I used to buy it several years ago when I was financially forced to, but as I age I don't want that in my body...cheaper is cheaper. When I told the waitress that they are advertising Absolut on their website..she looked at the sign over the bar and told me , "No it;s not"...OK..well how much is the Absolut? $5.50. Fine.

When my drink arrived it didn't taste like Absolut at all, remember that is what I am accustomed to drinking. House brands do not agree with me, cheap liquor doesnt agree with my body. The waitress assured me that she saw the bartender pour Absolut. The other person that was with me, another accustomed to Absolut tasted it and agreed that it didnt taste like Absolut.

I decided that maybe I am mistaken. I proceeded to have some wings and 3 Absolut drinks.

By the 3rd drink and after 3 wings, I really didn't want to eat anymore, and I LOVE Buffalo Wings. So..???

I asked the waitress for a container for the wings, and she took them in the back to wrap herself. When she came back and I opened the carton, she had thrown both the wings and the "bones" into the container. I thought that was pretty low class, and had never received anything like that before. When she bought the check to me...I was charged $6.50 each for the "Absolut" drinks. I didn't want to complain, just didn't feel like it.

To make a long story short, today I am writing this review, and it is 5:33 in the evening. I drank my 3rd drink at approx. 9:45 pm Last night. I have a screaming headache that I have been nursing all day.

THAT WAS "NOT" ABSOLUT" IN THOSE DRINKS OR I WOULD NOT BE SITTING HERE MISERABLE!!! So be careful. I am believing that they replace top shelf liquor with cheaper liquor (poured into the topshelf bottle) and hope that you cannot tell the difference. No wonder the great reviews of folks leaving there so drunk.

I am not sure if I will go back again. The reviews were great for the food as well, and they "supposedly" have a $6 menu on wednesday nights. I mean there is not many places that are great in NJ any more. That is why I'm not sure if I will go again if I am "ABSOLUTELY" bored. I will just have some beer...I don't think they can trick you on that. Can they?

I actually would recommend this place to some people, but with a warning or explanation.

1  Thank PMagic