“Worst Decision Of My Life.”

Econo Lodge Jersey City
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I travel for a living. I've also lead a colorful life and have been in some pretty bad places. Econolodge Jersey City wins for:

1. Most I've ever been scared.
2. Worst hotel room.
3. Worst front desk person.
4. Worst front desk person behind glass.
5. Most avoided by taxis.
6. Most frequent drug deals out front.
7. Quickest hotel stay (3.5 mins in room, 2 hours out front waiting for a cab.)

I made the mistake of booking here based on the Econolodge brand because of a last minute change and I had to go to Hoboken the next day and all the other hotels were full. Sleeping in the turnpike would have been safer.

Never. Ever stay here.

Room Tip: "The rooms on the ground floor are easier to see the drug deals out front"
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
16  Thank stratola
Parry G, Manager at Econo Lodge Jersey City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Stratola,

I am writing to thank you for taking the time to post your stay experience review at our hotel.

I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an outstanding experience for our guests in the future.

Hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Manager
Econo Lodge

Reviewed 1 January 2013

The hotel is decent, however, at night, there are cars racing outside on the street, which is horrible because the noise is too loud and it doesn't let one sleep. In addition, the front desk has a bullet-proof glass, which makes one concern about the safety in the neighborhood. Other than that, the hotel is not bad.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear SergMP,

Thank you for taking the time to post review regarding your previous stay at our hotel.

Manager
Econo Lodge

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I was a late arrival, the older gentleman at the front desk was extremely rude and commented on my late arrival. I called early in the evening informing them that would not arrive until after midnight, regardless the way the spoke AT me was completely un-called for. The room had not been maintained well at all, the collected dust in corners and fixtures was ridiculous. Never again......I would feel much safer and more comfortable in my car - even in Jersey City

Room Tip: Go to the comfort inn suites in North Bergen......very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Kathlene M
Reviewed 28 June 2012

we stayed here for one night with a friend. all i can say is that this hotel needs a lot of cleaning.every section smells very bad.front desk person does not know what a good customer service is.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank raul h
Reviewed 7 January 2012

the guy in the front desk the rudest, nasty, un polite I was there on 1/7/2012 i will never come back they should close that place smells and no heat it was cold.

I will report this to consumers affairs.

stay away sleep in your car

Room Tip: no comments
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank jay e
Reviewed 30 November 2011

The guy at desk is the rudest, meanest, grumpiest unhelpful person I have met in a very long time.

The word dirty doesnt even begin to describe how nasty the place was. I was scared to sleep on the mattress. Lucky for me, I was tired after an entire day of sitting around in the airport (flight cancellations due to weather)

Dont go here. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank travelor2011
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed there only because on 10/29/11 Newark Airport canceled all domestic flights due to the unexpected snow, and all near-by hotels were booked. So I was recommended by http://www.hotels-rates.com/ over the phone from airport for this hotel since nothing else left. Yet, it ended with a big nightmare to me. Because:

1. Very unfriendly service. No matter what I asked, the front desk always answered "I don't know." Very bad manner. Besides, no elevator in this hotel, not convenient, when you had to carry heavy luggage to upstairs without help.

2. Room looks OK. But heard kids screaming from next door whole night. Hard to sleep in this condition.

3. They didn't clean the driveway that covered with snow over night. Thus, It was hard for me to walk though the slippery driveway with heavy luggage to the taxi waiting in the street, when I checked out next morning. No help at all !

4. I called back next day and asked if they found my left behind clothes in bathroom? Again, the front desk told me "I don't know". "Call back tomorrow, asking for housekeeping manger." So I did. But she said "Maybe one of the housekeeping ladies took it or throw out. That's out off our control !"

I will not go back there again for sure.

Room Tip: Stay away from this one.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business