“Known for their pancakes, but omelet disappointing”

Brownstone Diner & Pancake
Ranked #9 of 632 Restaurants in Jersey City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband, pancake aficionado, wanted us to try this restaurant due to the reviews about their pancakes. My husband truly enjoyed his pancakes, not as good as Dupar's in downtown Las Vegas, but nonetheless, he enjoyed his pancakes. I however, ordered the florentine omelet, which I always order made with egg whites and well done. I was impressed when my meal was bought to me to see how well done it was. Couldn't wait to dig in. But, where was the Feta cheese, found a small white piece of something, but didn't taste like any feta cheese I have ever had. Then the next disappointment, the spinach. Not fresh by any means, look like they defrosted a box of frozen chopped spinach. I would have rated this restaurant poor, but since my husband enjoyed his pancakes, I rated it average. To me, the best omlets I've ever tasted are the ones at the original pancake house, they are baked in the oven and oh so delicious!

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Boyfriend and I were road tripping to NC and I happened to research places to stop for food of course. Guy visited and raved about the pancakes so that was where the gps took us .. To pancake heaven! I ordered the pb & j pancakes because I'm a huge peanut butter fan these were the fluffiest, perfectly cooked & presented pancakes I've had ever. I'm a foodie so this says a lot. My boyfriend had a delicious big omelet that he thoroughly enjoyed and I'm sure the other 100 items on the menu are just as appetizing! I wish I got to try a delicious beverage... Until next road trip... Highly recommend brownstone pancake paradise & great overall atmosphere

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We went for a late breakfast on a Saturday. Loved it! We had Pancakes and Waffles and an Omelet. Everyone enjoyed what they had. Very large portions but no sharing without paying $3.00 so beware. The only thing I can say we didn't care for was that my husband saw a busser in the bathroom leave without washing his hands, even though there was a sign advising that they must do that. He did tell someone so I hope that it has been taken care of.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

After seeing all the positive feedback, we decided to try breakfast there again. The food was good, but service was terrible. The server took our order and returned with the check. No asking if the food was correct and good. No refills on drinks. NOTHING. Servers must not be trained to deliver customer service. I know it is a diner, but they charge comparable to other JC restaurants which know how to deliver service. I won't go back again.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I've visited the place a few times already, and I can't say anything but nice things about the place. Yes, there can be a line around noon for wknd brunch, but its worth the wait.
I've been here for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late nite munchies. Its the best. Friendly staff, huge portions, delicious food. There are so many choices also. Also, there is real value for your money.
Guy from Food Network's "Diner, Drive-ins, & Dives" made this place a little too popular during Sunday brunch, but I still would pick this place.
The owners are really friendly too.
PS there is a chance you'll have food to take home, but don't worry. it still tastes good the next day.