“Holy Extra Expenses”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
Harrison, United States
“Holy Extra Expenses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

You sure wouldn't notice we used a wedding discount! Jersey City taxes EVERYTHING and even charged $25 to PARK! Besides all the extra charges and our total coming out to $228 (for one night!) the room and hotel were very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Jamie G,
Thank you for your valued feedback.

I was dissapointed to see that you felt value was lacking due to Jersey City taxes and parking charges. We do charge for parking and our rates are competitive with the other hotels in Jersey City. There is no street parking available in our immediate vicinity. That said, otherwise, I was happy to see that you found our hotel and room very nice.

Thank you for choosing us to stay with us. I do understand that you have choices and I appreciate that you chose to stay with us.

John Sheedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was underwhelmed with this hotel during my business trip. It got off to a bad start when the car which had been booked to collect me from JFK late at night didn't turn up ie hadn't been booked by the hotel.

My room was a nice size but the wardrobe doors were off their runners and had to be fixed before I unpacked. Walls between rooms are v thin meaning you can hear your neighbour using the bathroom in the middle of the night. Air con units are very dated and so noisy they can't be left on overnight.

Staff were generally pretty disinterested in me - reception staff more interested in chatting to aircraft crew & during my 5 day stay I was only once spoken to by a waiter at breakfast time, the other days I went without tea or coffee as it took far too long to attract anyone's attention. Food at breakfast time was poor - croissants & muffins never seemed fresh. Evening service in the bar/restaurant was even worse. On the one evening I did eat there I was the only person eating but still had to wait 10mins to order a drink.

Located walking to distance to PATH train station at Newport so convenient for getting in to Manhattan.

I booked a car to take me back to the airport, and after the disaster of my arrival I even double checked it had actually been booked, but when I went to reception I has to wait over 20 minutes for it to turn up. It seems that reception only calls the car once you're ready and waiting.

Really disappointing all round, definitely not a place to stay if you are a business traveller - try the Hyatt or Westin instead.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
Dear SMtraveller 14,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your valued feedback.

It is our job to ensure that we provide great service to our guests. It is evident that we have failed you on so many counts and I sincerely apologise for this.

Rest assured that I have reviewed these issues with my team and we have taken steps to correct these issues.

I would like to address your stay with you presonally and humbly ask that you call me directly at 201-499-2416.
Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.
John Sheedy,
General Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

was not going to drive from philly to the medowlands on Monday for my sons graduation from shu great hotel nice room great staff and great breakfast chilis restraint 1 block away nice place !cross the street and your walking along the Hudson nice view of nyc id go back if I ever need to spend the night in jersey city

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Steve B,
Thank you for staying with us and for your wonderful feedback.
We are happy to see that you enjoyed our great staff, hotel, breakfast and our location. We look forward to welcoing you back to the DoubleTree Jersey City when you are next in our area.
John Sheedy.
North Pomfret, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at DoubleTree. It was clean and comfortable with an exceptional staff. Everyone was friendly and cheerful. Valet parking and shuttle service was really appreciated. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alberta R,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for your great feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed our clean comfortable rooms and friendly and cheerful staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree Jersey City when you are next in the area.
John Sheedy,
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to New York for a family visit. The hotel is great but flying into the city is advised (JFK, LQ). It is best if you fly into Newark. The hotel greeted us with those amazing cookies that we love so much. The rooms were nice and I really appreciated the transportation but because it was a large family group, it was not accessible enough. It is a great alternative to the city hotel and convenient if you are willing to be patient. I would reside at this hotel again.

Room Tip: There is a grocery and deli in the back side of the hotel that has much cheaper breakfast if you hav...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear 2travellingchick,

Thank you for staying with us at The DoubleTree by Hilton Jersey City. It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us a good location for Newark Airport and that you found the hotel great and while you found our courtesy transportation convenient, I am sorry that it did not fully serve your needs. We do provide free transport on our courtesy shuttle up to a mile radius of the hotel.
Thank you again for chosing us and for your valued feedback. We look forward to welcoing you back when you are again in the area.
John Sheedy.
Pittsburgh, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is clean and very nice. The beds are the best! I also enjoy the microwave and frig in every room. The location is great - only blocks from the PATH train, so very easy to get into Manhattan. The light rail is behind the hotel, but not annoying.

Dear William R,
Thank you for your great feedback.
I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel from our clean rooms and great beds to our easy access location. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.
Newton, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hotel was easy to get to, and NYC was only minutes away by car through the Holland Tunnel or by the PATH train. It was good to get out of the city for a break to a place that was calm, quiet, and welcoming. Facilities were all in good condition and the staff was helpful and cheerful.

Dear MaryannNJ,
Thank you for your great feedback on your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Jersey City. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay from our great location to our calm welcome and cheerful and friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are back in the area.