“good overnight”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
New York City, New York
“good overnight”
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I got a room for 1 night through Priceline. The hotel is located next to the Westin, a few blocks from the Newport/Pavonia PATH train. There is construction next door, so if you're walking from the PATH station, it's best to walk on the sidewalk across the street from the hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly. He gave us the yummy Doubletree chocolate chip cookies. I wanted a room away from the construction (got the heads up thanks to another tripadvisor reviewer). Unfortunately, my husband and I got stuck with 2 double beds instead of a queen or king...I think the hotel was a little busy because of flight delays and we didn't check in until 7pm. I had called ahead 1-2 days before our arrival to request a king-sized bed away from construction. They said they would do the best they could, but I think that they don't really give priority to Priceline room requests. The room was actually pretty big and there was a separate area with a couch and desk. The beds were comfortable. We got a wake-up call on time. There is a small gym on the first floor. We took a peek into the room, but didn't use it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
kerala
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Excellent restaurant, quality food and wonderful service, can't fault it! Great impressions overall!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 12 April 2010

WOW! After a long flight and hold-up at the airport, 20mins later we arrived at the Doubletree and we were promptly given our room keys ect, the lovely woman Edy changed our room and we had a penthouse suite with spectacular views of midtown Manhattan and the financial district. The double suite was cozy and quite modern, the fridge and microwave were a great help and the supermarket behind the hotel came in handy. The bathroom was always kept clean and the housekeeping was no problem at all. The location was most vital in our stay and being 3 mins away from the path train station which were regular and only $1.75 a trip made it simple to get into Manhattan (multiple stops expanded the ease too). There was also a ferry and the hotel shuttle took us to the port which was fast and easy. Furthermore, the mall behind the hotel was great and had lots of places to eat along with the area around the hotel, there was a Chilli's and lots of other restaurants including some upscale eateries although we were recommended a wonderful pancake house called Brownstones which I would definitely recommended to any international visitors looking for an all American breakfast!. The area was lovely and very safe, no trouble what so ever. The staff were charming and always helpful. All these factors contributed to such a great stay and for the price, nothing else could beat it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Recently stayed at the doubletree. It is a great location close to public transportation, restaurants and view of NYC. The room itself was clean and comfortable. The staff was very kind. The only problem was the construction right outside our window. They are building a high rise apartment building right next to the hotel. We were woken up Friday morning at 7:15am on our vacation by jack hammering right outside our window on the 8th floor. There is also a freight elevator that you can hear. We asked the front desk if the construction went on on the weekends, they said no. I don't know if they didn't know or if they were lying but bright and early we were woken up by the sounds of the freight elevator Saturday and Sunday. If you plan on staying here, which is a great place, ask for a room that faces south unless you are a deep sleeper. All the rooms that face north will have to deal with the sounds of the construction which is estimated till 2011 according to the sign.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank juliejcw
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 March 2010

For my very first trip to NYC, after looking and reviewing what seemed to be 'hundreds' of NYC hotels/apartments, I decided to spend my 9 nights at Doubletree Jersey City. Value for money was second to none! Most of my dealings were done with Barabara who was extremly helpful and without her help I may have ended up staying elsewhere.
This hotel is in an excellent location: major shopping centre 1 block away (tax is less here than in NYC), the PATH train into Manhattan about 5min walk away, takes you to Ground Zero or to midtown (buy a weekly pass, cheaper), and great views of Manhattan from shoreline also 5min walk away.
I was lucky enough to end up on the top floor and had an awesome view across the Hudson to Manhattan (although some new buildings block a little bit of the view).
The room was huge, very spacious and very clean, had a large bathroom with bath (great for soaking in after being out in the snow for the day), even had two large LCD tv's!
Although there was some new construction going on next door I was not all bothered by it, I was out all day and they stopped work by the time I got back late in afternoon/early evening.
After my flights back to NZ were changed, I was allowed to stay in the room until late in the afternoon without charge. These small 'extras' and friendly staff do make a huge difference especially when you are so far away.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I go back to NY, I highly recommend this hotel as a pleasent alternative to the the expensive, small hotels on Mahattan.
Thank you all at The DoubleTree Jersey City.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Todd M
Houston
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I agree with the other reviews, this is a very nice hotel. And, I'd try it again -- with the following advice:

DON'T VALET PARK YOUR CAR DURING A WINTER SNOWSTORM: We valet parked our car in the hotel's "locked garage" which turned out to be an outside parking lot down the street. It took over an hour for a valet to retrieve our car -- because he was shoveling the snow off the car, and presumably a path for the car to drive through. If the hotel had been candid about this, we might not have been so upset. As it was, we'd traveled across the country to attend a tournament for our sons and we nearly missed the start of the tournament entirely -- and we did miss the opportunity for them to warm up and prepare for the tournament. The last 40 minutes of the hour long wait, we were repeatedly told "it's coming now." When we asked to get the car ourselves we were told "it's in a locked garage" -- a bit misleading. As the time kept ticking by, we literally began to panic but were never told the truth. Even other hotel guests were getting concerned and one helpful man who was also a guest, yelled at the valet when he casually drove past the hotel in our car. Even then, the valet sat in the car and stared dumbly with no sense of urgency. What a disaster! The hotel did finally explain that the car was not kept in a garage but offsite and was in a snow drift. Too bad they didn't have the decency to tell us that to begin with. They did take the parking charges off our car for the rest of the visit and allowed us to self park in on-site (on-site parking is extremely limited, a handful of spots at best).

CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TOP SHEET: We arrived after a long day of travel with young children late at night so I collapsed in the bed when we arrived. I realized in the morning we had no top sheet at all and had slept with the comforter (shared by the mass of humanity who had been in the room before) without any sheet at all between us and the comforter. NICE. The housekeeper was very polite and helpful (once I spoke Spanish) and she did remedy the situation. Also, beware, the comforter is a duvet type with a white coverlet made out of sheet material. You could be beguiled in to thinking this means the coverlet is laundered just like the sheets. I watched as the rooms were cleaned and even those where the guests had clearly checked out -- the coverlets were not being changed. That makes not having a sheet even grosser.

DON'T AGREE TO A HIGHER RATE IF YOU ARE WITH A GROUP THAT WAS GIVEN A DISCOUNTED RATE: This hotel was picked out by the tournament because it offered a special rate for participants in the tournament. Absolutely no deadline for registration was given. However, when I called to make a reservation, I was told the rate was no longer available. I then learned at the tournament that the hotel told several other guests the same thing. But if the guests properly objected upon arrival (I never quite learned what the appropriate procedure for this was), the management had the "discretion" to lower the rate to the quoted price. Imagine how I felt when I learned that another family with the same number of guests in the very same layout of room was able to have their rate changed to the lower tournament rate upon arrival and we were not. Yet we were Hilton honors members and they were not. The explanation I was given? Their room was on the 4th floor, ours on the 6th (we would not have cared if we stayed in the basement). The hotel did finally change our rate and allowed us to keep the free breakfast included in the higher rate -- which was a very nice gesture.

Overall, the hotel was very nice, clean (except for the day's trash from all of the rooms left outside my door scattered across the rug) and had beautiful rooms. I'd give it another try because the staff and management went a very long way to correcting the things that went wrong. It's probably one of the best hotels -- we just had a few snaffoos.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Never stayed at a Doubletree before, I am a Hilton Honors Gold member, and generally stay at Embassy suites. Very happy to be upgraded to a Corner Suite with a spectacular view of NYC. Construction next door, no problem. Front desk service could not be any better, along with a smile and warm chocolate chip cookies.Very clean and very quiet. Parking $20 a day, but that is the only negative. Too cold to walk around so we ordered in from Sabatinos Pizza, a recommendation from the front desk. Grest pizza and Fast delivery. Love this place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple