“Good hotel, friendly staff, great warm cookies, but expensive business center”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 1 May 2010

The JC Doubletree was very comfortable, room was spacious, and bed was very comfortable. I would stay here again. It's across from the mall, supermarket, and a few restaurants, and the PATH to NYC. Conveniently located. Also, the hotel has a free shuttle, which was a nice touch. Overall, highly recommended and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Blita, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

Good morning Loustyle, I wanted to personally thank you for you TripAdvisor review of our hotel! I wanted to share with you in the next few months we will be offering, to the guests of the hotel, complimentary services within our business center. Please feel free to contact me directly barbara.lita@hilton.com the next time you are in Jersey City! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree Jersey City!

Best wishes,

Barbara

Reviewed 1 May 2010

This hotel was the best we stayed at for sleep quality in our month long (volcano assisted) vacation in the US. The beds are divine. So comfortable and supportive. And the quality of the towels in the bathroom was top notch. Fantastic.

We got a great AAA rate by booking very early on ($132), it had increased significantly by the time we stayed there.
Felix at the front desk is charming, funny and helpful. In fact, this was probably the best front desk team we came across.

Disappointed that free wifi was only in the lobby. Breakfast was nice, not fantastic, and the first morning we stayed there, the lady seemed to be serving the whole room by herself. Better for other mornings.

The hotel shuttle is handy if it is cold on the way to the PATH station. This is very walkable, but we had some cold and windy weather during our stay.
It gets tiring using the PATH to get into NYC, but I think this would be the same wherever you were staying in Manhattan, lots of Metro, lots of walking.

Top tip - the PATH and NY Metro lines do not coincide at the same address, even though it sounds as though they do. Do your homework before you find yourself walking extra blocks. Definitely pick up a PATH map and Metro map - the PATH stations are incredibly hard to find sometimes in Manhattan!

We were booked for 4 nights but were exhausted with the city and checked out after 3. Not a slight on the hotel, it was fab, just too tired by the city and travelling.

We had a corner suite and it was a great size.

Top travel tip: if you enter Jersey City on the Pulaski skyway (quite an experience) be sure to watch that there is a quick left after the right turn you take just before the tunnels. We missed it and had to go around the block in very busy traffic!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Greetings from the Doubletree Jersey City!
I wanted to personally thank you for sharing your stay with us on TripAdvisor! We hope you had safe travels back home to Europe. I am sure that you are happy to be home after being away for a month. Thank you for making us your home away from home! I have shared your feedback with our management team and Felix.

We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and your busy NYC schedule. We look forward to the opportunity of seeing you again the next time you are in the States!

Best wishes,

Barbara

Reviewed 18 April 2010

I got a room for 1 night through Priceline. The hotel is located next to the Westin, a few blocks from the Newport/Pavonia PATH train. There is construction next door, so if you're walking from the PATH station, it's best to walk on the sidewalk across the street from the hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly. He gave us the yummy Doubletree chocolate chip cookies. I wanted a room away from the construction (got the heads up thanks to another tripadvisor reviewer). Unfortunately, my husband and I got stuck with 2 double beds instead of a queen or king...I think the hotel was a little busy because of flight delays and we didn't check in until 7pm. I had called ahead 1-2 days before our arrival to request a king-sized bed away from construction. They said they would do the best they could, but I think that they don't really give priority to Priceline room requests. The room was actually pretty big and there was a separate area with a couch and desk. The beds were comfortable. We got a wake-up call on time. There is a small gym on the first floor. We took a peek into the room, but didn't use it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Excellent restaurant, quality food and wonderful service, can't fault it! Great impressions overall!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2010

WOW! After a long flight and hold-up at the airport, 20mins later we arrived at the Doubletree and we were promptly given our room keys ect, the lovely woman Edy changed our room and we had a penthouse suite with spectacular views of midtown Manhattan and the financial district. The double suite was cozy and quite modern, the fridge and microwave were a great help and the supermarket behind the hotel came in handy. The bathroom was always kept clean and the housekeeping was no problem at all. The location was most vital in our stay and being 3 mins away from the path train station which were regular and only $1.75 a trip made it simple to get into Manhattan (multiple stops expanded the ease too). There was also a ferry and the hotel shuttle took us to the port which was fast and easy. Furthermore, the mall behind the hotel was great and had lots of places to eat along with the area around the hotel, there was a Chilli's and lots of other restaurants including some upscale eateries although we were recommended a wonderful pancake house called Brownstones which I would definitely recommended to any international visitors looking for an all American breakfast!. The area was lovely and very safe, no trouble what so ever. The staff were charming and always helpful. All these factors contributed to such a great stay and for the price, nothing else could beat it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Recently stayed at the doubletree. It is a great location close to public transportation, restaurants and view of NYC. The room itself was clean and comfortable. The staff was very kind. The only problem was the construction right outside our window. They are building a high rise apartment building right next to the hotel. We were woken up Friday morning at 7:15am on our vacation by jack hammering right outside our window on the 8th floor. There is also a freight elevator that you can hear. We asked the front desk if the construction went on on the weekends, they said no. I don't know if they didn't know or if they were lying but bright and early we were woken up by the sounds of the freight elevator Saturday and Sunday. If you plan on staying here, which is a great place, ask for a room that faces south unless you are a deep sleeper. All the rooms that face north will have to deal with the sounds of the construction which is estimated till 2011 according to the sign.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank juliejcw
Reviewed 26 March 2010

For my very first trip to NYC, after looking and reviewing what seemed to be 'hundreds' of NYC hotels/apartments, I decided to spend my 9 nights at Doubletree Jersey City. Value for money was second to none! Most of my dealings were done with Barabara who was extremly helpful and without her help I may have ended up staying elsewhere.
This hotel is in an excellent location: major shopping centre 1 block away (tax is less here than in NYC), the PATH train into Manhattan about 5min walk away, takes you to Ground Zero or to midtown (buy a weekly pass, cheaper), and great views of Manhattan from shoreline also 5min walk away.
I was lucky enough to end up on the top floor and had an awesome view across the Hudson to Manhattan (although some new buildings block a little bit of the view).
The room was huge, very spacious and very clean, had a large bathroom with bath (great for soaking in after being out in the snow for the day), even had two large LCD tv's!
Although there was some new construction going on next door I was not all bothered by it, I was out all day and they stopped work by the time I got back late in afternoon/early evening.
After my flights back to NZ were changed, I was allowed to stay in the room until late in the afternoon without charge. These small 'extras' and friendly staff do make a huge difference especially when you are so far away.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I go back to NY, I highly recommend this hotel as a pleasent alternative to the the expensive, small hotels on Mahattan.
Thank you all at The DoubleTree Jersey City.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo