“New Rooms are nice, price was right”

The Kenilworth Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kenilworth
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The new upgraded rooms were nice, they still had some finishing to do but were overall comfortable and clean. Front desk was nice, Ice machine worked good. I hope they continue to renovate. I know its a pain and must cost a lot of money but I know I liked and noticed the change

Room Tip: ask for a new room! Pay the extra 10 bucks
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve A
Sonali M, Manager at The Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your response and your comments.

We are definitely working diligently on renovating this property and paying attention to every small detail to insure that our guests are completely satisfied with their stay. We are very excited about where we're headed and even more excited now that you've noticed.

We look forward to having you with us again .

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at the Kenilworth Inn as it was a great location for our needs since it was right across the street from the cemetery. When we made our reservations in January, there was no mention of the construction, which was significant and appeared to be throughout most of the hotel. It was not a pleasant atmosphere. The renovated rooms we were given reeked of toxic fumes. The staff were nice about showing us other rooms that did not smell as badly and we relocated, but there was still a strong odor in the rooms. We would have stayed else where, had we known about the construction - I'm glad we only needed to be there for one night.
They also promote a continental breakfast buffet, which consisted of donuts and pastries with beverages - hardly a buffet. We ended up going to Manhattan Bagels a few blocks away.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay, ask to see the room first to determine if you can handle the smell. There did...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The Kenilworth Inn was a great location for our purposes, as we were coming into town for a funeral. The room was clean and bright but there were a number of problems during our one night stay. The mattress was uncomfortable despite the fact that the front desk clerk said they were fairly new. For some reason the television was connected to a light switch so each time we accidentally turned off that particular switch the TV went out. We had to call the front desk for a service man to come and reset the TV. The front desk told us that this was a known issue but they had no solution for it. After the second time it happened we finally figured out how to reset the TV ourselves. Finally, the light switch in the bathroom would not turn off. The heat generated from the light was incredibly intense - it seemed like a heat lamp although I'm not sure it was. We did not sample the continental breakfast the next day, opting instead to eat at the local diner. The staff was friendly and serviced us promptly, but I would be unlikely to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank KipHartman
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Front desk woman was very pleasant, effeciant and helpful. Room was nice- looked recently renovated untill I went to the bathroom- tiles in tub were poorly grouted and caulked, tub looked old and tiles on floor looked new, but grout looked like it used to be white- no longer! TV had plenty of channels and WIFI was free and easy to hook up to. Bed was comfortable.The only problem I encountered was when I got up in the morning (about 7:30 am) as I was walking into the bathroom, someone opened the door- even with the do not disturb sign outside my door- thankfully I had the chain set up. I think it was the cleaning/housekeeping- I peeked out after using the bathroom and saw the cart in front of the next room. Breakfast was very very simple- cold cereal, pastries, english muffins, coffee, tea, apple and orange juice. Not very filling if you're used to a big breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank zoedude
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This hotel used to be a holiday inn at one time, it has improved since being taken over several years ago. It is centrally located to most major roads, the town is safe, supermarket right next door and a great restaurant right across the street.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank twcrea
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Missed our connecting flight & got put here. Do not choose this hotel!

We just changed rooms because the upstairs smelled horrible-- chemicals, smoke, old chicken... not sure what exactly that combination was. We can hear everything around us (music, coughing) and there are sketchy guys in the hallway (apparently there's little/ no security... read the other reviews). I don't even want to see what the sheets look like... :(

At least the WiFi works so I can write this review...

Room Tip: not upstairs
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Look at any of the negative reviews on this site, and you will find much better descriptions then I can conjure up. My family and I had to stay there a number of times, because it is the only convenient hotel in the area. I am thankful that I never have to go back.

I also think that the inn is planting some of the reviews, because this spring I was looking at the comments and I saw the exact duplicate of "Jess N"'s review. This reviewer also couldn't fly back to the UK, because of a hurricane and felt that the Kenilworth Inn was a life-saver. Perhaps it is a coincidence, but I am not willing to believe that there are that many people from the UK stranded in Kenilworth, NJ due to different hurricanes.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenilworth
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Crowne Plaza Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport

Been to The Kenilworth Hotel? Share your experiences!