“Great food, great price, very friendly staff, not usually crowded”

Star Of India Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 49 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Reviewed 9 June 2013

It's a very small place, dimly lit. My ex and I used to go early during the week, and it wasn't very busy. All of the dishes are fantastic, and the tamarind chutney is very good. There's a special (I can't remember the name of it, because I say "usual" and they bring it sans cilantro) that combines a lamb dish, a chicken dish, and tandoori chicken. DON'T ask for extra-spicy unless you want to die. Their naan is addictive and has the perfect consistency. I hate places that have bad naan or bad chutney.

I once had a crappy tandoori chicken leg, but they gave me a new one. I think the leg was just tough or fattier than usual (not rotten or anything). They also give you free appetizers sometimes. The price is amazing, given the quality of the food. They do the rice correctly, as well. Not tough, not smushy. I strongly recommend this place. Oh, and the parking sucks ;)

1  Thank DIshiyama

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This restaurant has a long and proven record of providing excellent and amigable service, excellent Indian food at very reasonable prices.
I'm please to say that the interior environment was refreshed and upgraded a couple of years ago.
They have no liquor license so bring your own.
Enjoy!

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Have been frenquenting for more than 10 years. Great variety. Comfortable atmosphere. Always a treat to visit. Also, BYO!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

This is a family run restaurant and it feels like one. People are very friendly and decore while a bit dated is authentic (we actually talked with the owners, they brought most of it from India).
The food was good and plentiful. I always find it hard to find good ethnic restaurants in NJ having lived in NYC most of my life but this one is on my keep list

1  Thank EugeneNY
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We decided we wanted Indian food and went to our favoriate, Star. The owners gave us a huge hello. We were worried at first because we were the only ones in the place but as the evening progressed, more customers arrived. They seem to do a lot of take-out. The crispy bread and condiments were yummy. They brought us complimentary fried vegies to eat while we waited for our main courses. Chicken roganjosh, lamb sag, sagehani biryani. All fabulous and so much. The garlic naan is to die for. Terrific dinner and reasonable prices. Love to eat here. Love the candied fennel seeds to finish, too.