“smokey rooms, could not take the smell”

BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lakewood
“smokey rooms, could not take the smell”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

I had a terrible night stay at this hotel. Stayed at room 240 and the smell of the smoke was so terrible. We had to open the windows and for the smell to come out and even bought freshener.

I woke up with a headache and felt suffocated. This inn was the first I ever tried here in Jersey and i dont think i will stay here again. The hotel is quite old, the comforters are old, pillows not very comfortable and the hallways have strong smoke odor.

If you have other choice, please do consider other hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
bw31015, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Soblessed0827,

We apologize that you were not satisfied with your recent stay with us at the Best Western in Lakewood, NJ. Because of the storm, we have been sold out almost every night for the past two months now. We only had one smoking room left at the time. We would have given you a
non- smoking room, if you requested it, and if we had it available. We do apologize if that was your experience and your comments have been shared with management.

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor and we hope you have many wonderful stays in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I found myself needing a place to stay for a few days recently. I did not initially consider staying at the Best Western, however, it was the first place available. In addition, my expectations were somewhat low. Needless to say I was shocked by how well I was treated there. The rooms were clean and very well cared for. The breakfast was outstanding. But above all, the service was impeccable. The staff was extremely attentive and professional. They sincerely wanted my input as to how they might improve my stay. The people at the front desk remembered my name from check in. While not a "Luxury" hotel, the people that worked for the hotel made it feel as if I were at a 5 star establishment.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
bw31015, Manager at BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear Vinnie S, We greatly appreciate your 5-star review of the Best Western Leisure Inn Lakewood! We are pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience staying with us.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Our home was completely destroyed we were beyond desperate to find shelter.Several hotels simply told us no rooms!! Came to the Best Western Hotel they also had no rooms available but the Front Desk allowed us to stay in lounge area off the lobby while they repeatedly called hotel after hotel determined to find us a room.After an hour of free coffee and breakfast items supplied by the hotel management they surprised us by telling us their Maintenance manager had taken a out of service room and made it rentable expressly for us!!!! We have been there for over 2 weeks and daily one of the managers contacts us to see if we are comfortable.I have traveled all over the country and never found a level of professionalism and compassion like this in any of my travels.No words can ever express what these people are doing for me and my family.We will never forget the managers and staff at the Best Western Leisure Inn!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
ARCATA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I read the reviews and I was scared…. All hotels had been full for weeks and I had been commuting for over an hour to get to the South Jersey shores to work disaster relief when I finally found a hotel with a vacancy.. Best Western Leisure Inn in Lakewood. The reviews where mostly terrible but I had no options and with teeth gritted I checked in. The staff was friendly and professional and tho we preferred a non smoking room all they had was smoking. The price is a a little bit steep especially week-ends when they raise their price by ten dollars but for the area is typical.
The lobby was continually packed with refugees displaced from their homes and refuse removal crews.. a gritty scene.. but the hotel staff kept the coffee coming and the continental breakfast restocked which wasn't half bad. The halls where a bit tattered and it probably was the least maintained of any Best Western I had ever visited. The washing machines (only 2 for a very large property) broke down but they had them fixed the next day.. Yes,, the cliental was a bit of riff raff and the place a bit thrashed,,, but on the brighter side.. I found our room cleaned well every day with comfortable bed and decent quality sheets and pillows. I found the staff to be friendly and professional and working hard to keep a packed hotel filled with folks who had lost a lot and many like myself who had travelled a long ways to work long hours in difficult circumstances. The bottom line… The reviews I read where for the most part probably true but I think the Best Western is staffed by hard working people who are trying to provide an acceptable place to sleep, be comfortable and safe. The hotel would be advised to recarpet their stairwells and vacume the halls more often. Not a property I would advise for families necessarily but in a pinch a place to survive the night.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank femadude
bw31015, Manager at BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Greetings! Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I know it was a hard time for all of us during the storm, and it must have been rough commuting for over an hour to get here each day. We appreciate your business, and your hard work, working disaster relief. I am glad that you were pleased with your room, and our friendly, and professional staff. We strive to provide outstanding service to all our guests. Should your travels bring you back to the Lakewood area, we hope to welcome you back to the Best Western in Lakewood, NJ. Happy Holiday's
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I made a reservation here and the day before I had to cancel my reservation before 4. I tried to call the hotel directly several times but no one answered. I then had to catch a plane so I turned my phone off. Once I laned that evening I tried the hotel again with no answer again so I called the Best Western national line and was told sorry but tough luck. Once they have your money they don't care about you. Do whatever you can to find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank David S
bw31015, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear Mr.David S, We have called you twice in an attempt to clarify and discuss your dissatisfaction with us but unfortunately can't seem to get you on the phone.If it is the case that you prefer not to speak with us directly we certainly understand and will respect your decision.Please understand I take all customer input very seriously and found your comments very alarming.As to your phoning the hotel several times and not receiving an answer we are genuinely perplexed by this.Our phone system being out would be a complete disaster for us and impossible to go unnoticed.I would have to believe that you were misdialing our number. I apologize that your experience with us wasn't a positive one and I do thank you for your feedback.Should you in the future consider giving us another opportunity to serve you I would appreciate you contacting me directly so I may personally handle your reservation.Warmest Regards James Jabara General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Lakewood hotels

NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed here during the busy labor day weekend. Hotel was conveniently located between Point Pleasant Beach & Seaside Heights & by the highway. Unfortunately the only room available was a smoking room. I tried to disguise the odor with air freshener but it did not work. I eventually became immune to the smell. Beds were comfortable, nice pool, room was average. I would give it a 2 1/2 star. The only problem was my room only had HOT water in the shower..No cold lol... It was only one night and we made the best of it. I would stay here again in a non smoking room and if the water was working. One plus- Dunkin Donuts is next door..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MissLady71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakewood
Ramada Toms River
Point Pleasant Manor
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
Howard Johnson Hotel - Toms River

Been to BEST WESTERN Leisure Inn? Share your experiences!