“Needs updating”

Best Western Leisure Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lakewood
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Given the hotels proximity to the shore and the busy area that it is located I would have expected the hotel to have been updated. The rooms are not appealing in decor and need to be overhauled. The amenities in the room were sparse and there was not any conditioner in the bathroom. The lights by the bed flickered throughout the evening and I finally just turned them off after calling to the front desk. The staff was dressed casually and I would have expected them to be more professionally dressed. The staff was pleasant both at check-in and check-out. Breakfast ending at 9am on a weekend day is surprising. Knowing that many people sleep in on the weekends I would have expected breakfast to end around 10am rather than 9am. For the $92 I spent on the room things were fine. Although I certainly wouldn't spend more than that per night at this location. I've stayed at other Best Western Hotels which have been nicer. Looks go a long way and I think that if the hotel was remodeled they may very well have more people return for subsequent stays and more people recommending that others stay there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
James J, General Manager at Best Western Leisure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear LarMB, Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback in regards to your stay. I would like to apologize that you experienced some inconveniences during your time with us. January 2014 we will be commencing a compete room remodel. Happily smoking rooms will become a thing of the past and as you suggested the rooms will be completely updated. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and I feel confident our new product will be to your liking. Again thank you for your input. Best Regards

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The room itself was pretty good. Wifi worked with no problems. But I should of been asked if I wanted a smoking room because as soon as I opened the door it reeked. I was just glad to have a room so didn't say anything.

But here's where the bad part comes in; I was unaware that there is a nightclub attached to this place. So from your room you can perfectly hear the thumping bass of dance music all night. That combined with hearing other guests doors slamming every 5 mins all night and people running up & down the halls made it a little difficult to sleep.

Staff though was A++. Would stay again but would request non smoking and to not be near the club.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The G
James J, General Manager at Best Western Leisure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Darylistyk, Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback via TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize that you were given a smoking room. Although it's too late to help with this visit we will be doing a major room renovation starting in January 2014 and ultimately will eliminate all smoking rooms to become a 100% smoke free environment. I also apologize for the loud music. We have a tenant who operates a banquet facility at the far end of the complex and there was a wedding that evening and we have put them on notice regarding the noise level. I would further like to thank you for being so objective with your review. Most people would have written a completely negative review. I would like to ask you to contact me personally prior to your next visit so I can extend to you a deeply discounted rate and or an upgrade if available at the time of your next visit to compensate for this less then perfect experience. Again thank you for your input without it improvements become much more difficult to achieve. Best Regards

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I found the hotel to be comfortable but the décor is a bit dated. Staff was friendly and helpful. Price was very reasonable. Weekday breakfast starts early weekend breakfast ends early. No on site exercise equipment/room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bw31015, Manager at Best Western Leisure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Laurence S.
Thank you for staying with us and sharing feedback on your experience. We are glad to have met your needs on comfort, value and are friendly staff! We do offer a free pass to a fitness center nearby. Hope to see you the next time you are in the Lakewood/Brick area.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is a pretty good place to stay when visiting the Jersey shore. It’s not right on the water but not far from either Seaside Heights or Point Pleasant. Stayed here for five nights during Labor Day weekend.

The hotel is right off the Garden State Parkway and it’s easier to reach from the southbound side. You will have to use a U-turn to get there after exiting the highway but it’s not that bad as some other reviewers have indicated. This is quite typical in New Jersey so it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

We arrived right at check-in time. We were greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk and quickly checked into our room. We were given a room on the second floor and had a view of the pool.

The room was a bit dated and worn and that showed especially in the bathroom. However, the room was spotless and very clean as was the bathroom. The bathroom had a few cracked tiles here and there but otherwise was fine.

The beds were very comfortable and the flat screen television was nice. The air conditioning unit was great and kept the room very comfortable. We also had a small refrigerator and microwave. The pillows were surprisingly small. We dealt with that by asking for additional ones which we were given.

As mentioned, the hotel rooms are a bit worn. However, it seems that they are in the process of renovating the hotel. The hallway carpets were completely replaced during our stay and I saw a sign apologizing for the on-going work. It appeared that some rooms were not available due to renovations.

Breakfast is served in the main lobby but only until 9:00 a.m. I think 10 would be better as it seemed that most guests arrived closer to 9:00. The breakfast was your standard Continental with boiled eggs, cereals and waffles. The donuts and bagels provided were very fresh and I could tell that they had been delivered that morning.

The swimming pool was fine although smaller than it appears in the pictures shown on the hotel website. It was fine and you can get towels right from the front desk. Plenty of free parking here as well.

Location is what this place really has going for it and the on-going renovations will only help. The hotel is very close to numerous restaurants and shopping. A Wal-Mart and Target are a short drive away.

As I mentioned, the beach is not far. We did that almost every day and it was only a short drive depending on traffic. It took us 20 minutes to get to the beach and boardwalk of Seaside Heights and that included hitting traffic on the way.

However, staying here was much cheaper than staying at some mom and pop place on the beach. This hotel is nicer than most of those places and even has a free breakfast. If you don’t mind driving a short distance to the beach, this is a good choice. You’ll also have much more choices of restaurants.

To be honest, I was a bit nervous about staying here after seeing so many negative reviews but I found them to be exaggerated and unfounded for the most part. Sure, this isn’t the Ritz but it’s not Bob’s Motel either. Recommended.

Room Tip: Second floor is your best bet. It's all non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank timman19
bw31015, Manager at Best Western Leisure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear timman19,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and were happy to have met your needs on customer service, value, location and cleanliness. We have recently replaced our carpeting, added new beds and door locks. We will be remodeling in the calendar year. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Decor from the '80s, low ceilings, dingy and stuffy rooms with little ventilation (and a very noisy air conditioner), musty carpet, and just an overall very depressing, sad ambiance. We wanted to leave the hotel the minute we woke up in the morning. Right on the highway and overlooking a parking lot. Breakfast is a second thought, served in the small lobby. There is laundry, though, and the front desk staff seem nice. Not really near anything of interest without a car. Extremely expensive for the low quality and not at all worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank anonymous a
bw31015, Manager at Best Western Leisure Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear anonymous a,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to apologize for your room not being what you thought it would be and not up to date. We have slowly been upgrading the hotel. We have new beds in all of the rooms. New carpeting is being installed and new locks. We will be remodeling by the end of the year. Please accept our apology and we invite you back to our location to experience our updated rooms. Hope to see you again when visiting Lakewood.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Best Western for a close friends wedding. Checkin was easy. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. My wife enjoyed laying by the pool all day. They even included breakfast. The Wedding was very nice and the weather was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert L.,
It is definitely our pleasure to hear your satisfaction with our hotel. We are glad that you were happy with your comfort and cleanliness of your room and our hotel. We look forward for your return for future stays!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Booked the room at the last minute on a holiday weekend and the price was reasonable. Good location on the way to the shore, easy to get to, lots of restaurants in the area. Room was comfortable and clean and mostly quiet. Would go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear StevieNJ,
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We value your feedback and am very happy that you decided to stay with us. We welcome you back at the Best Western, Lakewood.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakewood
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
Comfort Inn Toms River
#4 of 11 in Toms River
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center Toms River
Days Hotel Toms River Jersey Shore

Been to Best Western Leisure Inn? Share your experiences!