“Wonderful but...could use some tweekung”

Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Lambertville B&B and Inns
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
“Wonderful but...could use some tweekung”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I'm very critical and blunt so here goes. We absolutely loved the inn and the property. Reminded me of the movie "Christmas In Connecticut". Just beautiful. We stayed in barn suite 2. Spacious, clean, nice fireplace, small jacuzzi, patio. We really liked the room except it wasn't ready when we arrived at 3:30. It was pouring rain and we got soaked checking in and we found the room not ready. There was a wedding the night before and they were behind. We left for dinner and when we returned the key was the wrong one. The owners came and opened the door with a different key. We found a bottle of wine and candy. Very sweet. The room was immaculate. We had to call to get directions for both the fireplace and the jacuzzi. Neither was an obvious start up. Directions should be provided. The temp in the room was perfect. The bed was very very comfortable. The water piping hot. No place for toiletries in the bathroom near the sink. The room had a coffee maker and good size refrigerator. The coffee both in the room and at breakfast was very very weak. The dining room was just beautiful with a fire burning and lovely music. We found fireplaces on and music playing whenever we entered the inn. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. It was run like most upscale b & b's. A prefix menu. The owner cooks and they have a young girl serve. It is wonderful ! All in all, it was great. We could have used more towels but unlike most b& b's, they serviced the rooms daily and the towels were replenished. Also, we could hear water running, jacuzzi running and every single word in other barn suites that were spoken. Also every footstep from suites above us were audible. It didn't bother us. We are sound sleepers. The alpacas are precious. Well worth the travelzoo price we paid. I'm not sure it's with regular price. We enjoyed it thoroughly and had a wonderful time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovehamptons
Terry A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this review, 25 May 2016
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Our day after Christmas stay at Chimney Hill Estate was just as quiet and nice as I hoped it would be. The first time we stayed there, we stayed in Barn Suite #4 and this time we stayed in Barn Suite #3. Essentially the same room but reverse layout.

We are local and love this bed and breakfast for a quick getaway. I don't understand the negative reviews about this property. It might be a little pricey but the area (New Hope and Lambertville) isn't cheap and the breakfast is very nice and up to par with most B&B offerings. The alpacas are my favorite, they will give you a bag of feed if you ask. Just note that there are old school bubble TVs with VCRs (at least in the Barn Suite) but they do have cable so if you want to watch a DVD bring your laptop. The comfort pantry in the main house has hot water, tea, beer, ice and a brownie tray. We highly recommend eating at Lilly's on the Canal, great atmosphere dining in or taking out.

The place was decorated beautifully for Christmas and there was even a little tree in our suite. We loved our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I've never in my life written a review before but after our recent stay here, felt I should share my experience since I feel slightly misled by the reviews I read on this place prior to going. My husband and I spent two nights here in the Vincent room. Overall, the house itself is very beautiful. It's pretty from the front and has lots of character on the inside however that's about where it ends. It's unfortunate because it could have so much potential to be so much more. We used a group deal for about $350 for the entire weekend. For that price, I think we got what we paid for but for the prices I've seen on their website, I'd be very upset. Basically, if you're just looking for a place to sleep then this is fine but if you're looking for a warm n fuzzy, homey place where you feel like a special guest in someone's home, this place is not it.

When we arrived there was a sign at the front door with directions to walk in and to the back of the house. I find this kind of cold and odd that we were greeted with this small sign on the door. We walked in to an empty quiet house and to the back where there was a young girl who gave us our key, wine which came with our package and paperwork. Our room was on the third floor which I liked because it was private on a floor by itself. But the room itself was very dated. I get this is an old home and I love that but the furniture, decor, curtains etc was just dated and no frills. The bathroom door did not shut which I wasn't happy about as being a female, we'd like some privacy when going to the bathroom. So this was a bit awkward but my husband took it as par for the course of staying in an old home.

In the morning when we went downstairs for breakfast, we sat for quite a long time...maybe 15-20 mins without being greeted or acknowledged. There was one other couple there as well also waiting. We heard lots of cooking in the kitchen and things smelled great. Eventually some young girl came out who I don't believe spoke English and placed a very tiny cup with caramelized apples in front of us. It honestly couldn't have had even a single slice of apple in the entire cup, that's how small the portion was. It was good though. My husband and I then realized that this was just a plated breakfast where they just bring you what they cooked, no orders taken. After what seemed like a very long time again, we were each brought out a plate of food with a very small portion of scrambled eggs (maybe 1 egg worth), some potatoes and 2 pieces of bacon. We actually laughed when we saw the portion because my husband would normally eat 3 times this amount at home. There was also a very small (maybe 3"x1") piece of pumpkin bread at our table for us to share. This is pretty much it for the breakfast and it wasn't anything spectacular, it was just your basic run of the mill breakfast taste. I guess I went into this expecting this gourmet country breakfast where we were greeted with a spread of fresh breads, muffins, fresh fruit and an array of food to select from. That's not what we got AT ALL. On the second morning, we actually chose to check out without even having breakfast here because even the free breakfast just wasn't worth it.

Overall the house is just empty all the time. We saw the main house owner or whatever they're called one time for a brief minute during breakfast but that's it. You basically feel like you're staying in someone's home but they aren't there. If you want that then this is the place for you. I was expecting charm and warm fuzzy welcomes and music playing and fires lit all the time etc. The fire in the dining room was lit during breakfast but it was shut immediately after breakfast. And on Sat night, there was a sign...yes another sign, in the living room with a small plate of cheese and crackers and the sign said to bring your own wine and sit in the living room and enjoy the cheese and crackers. During this time the fire was lit in the living room. But again there was nobody around as a host or anything, just the random other couples we saw staying here as well. When my husband and I were leaving to go out, two elderly women were sitting eating the cheese and the fire was getting low. They asked if my husband could put another log in which he attempted to do but we couldn't find any wood. I would just expect the house manager to be there with their guests at least sometimes, keep the fires going, have music playing, invite guests to sit in the living room for cheese and crackers etc.

I think the house manager comes in the morning to make sure breakfast is being set up and then maybe stops in for a minute at night but that's it. We heard that there's three owners who rotate time here so maybe it depends on who's managing it that weekend that determines how your stay is. Unless the estate itself is writing their own reviews, I can't imagine how others had such a wonderful experience unless another manager provides a better experience. I think ours was Debbie.

The alpacas were cute.

Room Tip: Make sure your bathroom door closes and that your room has a private bath inside the room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jen S
Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

In August my husband and I chose to stay at this B&B based on the reviews which we had read. Although there are a higher than average positive reviews, the place was horrible. We stayed in Barn Suite #4. The air conditioning unit did not work. The room's temperature was around 83.
Then, the toilet overflowed.

My chief complaint, similar to other reviews, is that the owners and the staff, upon receiving bad review, make the customer feel like they are crazy. We tried to avoid having toilet overflow. But, upon reporting that toilet was operating poorly, we were told that the staff checked the toilet and found nothing wrong with it. Then, after it overflowed, we were told that he was due to us using too much toilet paper.
The owners need to realize that their property is a nice location. But, beyond that, people should choose to stay elsewhere. We would never go back and never recommend this property for anyone.

Room Tip: Stay Away. Go to Woolverton Inn in Stockton instead.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kathleen K
Sorry that youwere disappointed. We are working to make changes and improvements.
New Jersey
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I live close by and wanted an overnight getaway. I love the character of the common rooms. Our room was on the 2nd floor and average. The bathroom was basic. Breakfast was average, but the portion is too small for the average man. I did enjoy feeding the Alpacas-they were adorable. I felt the staff were polite.

• Stayed November 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I booked here through LivingSocial, thinking it would be a nice mini-honeymoon after our wedding. We thought wrong.

The morning after our first night in our room, my wife found a live adult bedbug crawling on the wall of the bedroom. We searched our bedding and easily found a dead bedbug in the sheets. We went to the owners to tell them about the issue, but that just caused more problems.

The owners' first reaction was to deny that there were any bedbugs at all, despite the fact that we had a picture of the dead one (the live one we instinctively squished before thinking to take a picture). The owners then changed tactics and began accusing us of being scammers, of bringing the bedbugs in with us, and of planting a device to attract bedbugs. When we said we could write reviews on the Internet, they accused us of threatening them. The owners also appeared to be trying to intimidate us based on our age (mid to late twenties). At one point, the female owner spoke over me while I was talking, then justified it by saying "well, I'm older."

The male owner decided to go investigate our room himself. We followed after him, but when we tried to go into the room (using our key), the owner said, "you're checked out" and slammed the door in our faces. We returned to the main building, and when the owner returned just a few minutes later, he said that he didn't see any bedbugs.

The male owner continued to accuse us of being scammers. He said that he'd seen people like us before. When we asked what kind of people he meant, he said "you probably know them." The owner called us liars, refused to look at our picture of the dead bedbug, and at one point made my wife cry. He finally told us that if we called LivingSocial and told them that we were ill and had to leave, he would agree to a refund. However, he said that if we mentioned the bedbugs, he would fight the issue.

Needless to say, our honeymoon was ruined. The bedbugs were bad enough, but the way we were treated was inexcusable. I'd highly recommend avoiding this place if you value being treated with respect--or if you don't want to quarantine your luggage afterward.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
28 Thank Stephanie G
CHFE, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
We have invited guest to enjoy the estate and Ol barn for many years ( 20 years in July) The majority of guest really appreciate the authenticity and beauty of the estate and our efforts to make their stay with us beyond enjoyable. Inn owners have to be people pleasers or they don't stay in business. If in fact their accusation was true it would stand to reason that is what the majority of guests would be saying. We pride our self on our commitment to customer satisfaction. If you are disappointed and let us know we will try and correct it. We like happy guests. That's why we chose this business. The two young ladies had a reservation for two days. They came to the front house after breakfast and said that they would be checking out earlier because they had found a bedbug in the room last night and didn't want to stay another day. I said where she said she threw it away. I explained that it was unlikely that there was a bedbug in their room unless it came with them. They got very upset and the one young lady started to cry. We have a very strict program to ensure that we don't have a bedbug problem. We use special covers for the mattress and box springs. We utilize detectors so if they are brought into the room by a guest the detector provides early warning and we can react to them immediately. The room is professionally treated by exterminators. The room is inspected after each guest leaves by our staff who are trained to inspect the bedding and surrounding area. ... I understand why she got upset and became argumentative insulting my partner calling her old... Bedbugs have stigma. They are really very common and can hitch a ride on your clothing from a train, a seat in a restaurant, or plane.... They are brought here by guests and when we detect them we exterminate them. Their review was written because they were angry .I told them I would ask Living Social to offer a refund for the second night because they were unhappy but not on the basis of bedbugs since I am convinced they brought them with them. They threatened if I didn't give them all their money back they would smear our name on social media. Unfortunate that even though we had photographic proof ( detectors from the room showed no activity) Trip Advisor lets guest write whatever they want. So 21 potential guests were given a false impression. This can be detrimental to a small business. We consider it unacceptable when we don't meet or exceed our guest expectations and will do whatever is feasible to correct the situation. Not for a favorable review. We were doing that before Trip Advisor came on the scene. We do it because we take pride in our business. In this case a full refund of both nights wasn't in my opinion fair. We wish them well in their new marriage and hope one day for them to come back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lambertville
The Lambertville House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lambertville
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
The Temperance House Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Newtown

Been to Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn? Share your experiences!