“Dissapointing”

Ranked #3 of 3 Lambertville B&B and Inns
Clark, New Jersey
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Spent extra money for the 2 level room at the barn. I thought it looked really nice based on the Internet pictures. Room was set up poorly. Bedroom upstairs, bathroom downstairs. Tub in the middle of the room downstairs. Furniture cheap. Did not see the rooms in the main building, maybe they were nicer. However, like I said the room we had was more expensive.
Breakfast dissapointing. They offered French toast. I am a diabetic and they had no sugar free syrup. Was offered no substitute. If they had eggs to make the French toast they certainly could have scrambled me an egg at very least. Breakfast overall was no big deal. Place was no big deal. Certainly have stayed at nicer places.

Room Tip: Would try a room in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rose J
Terry A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this review, 25 May 2016
The Barn suites are designed with a loft. This has always bn the layou.
Not sure we knewyou were a diabetic and needed sugar free syrup, but we always have eggs as an alternative.
Thank you for your review. We are always interested in how you experienced your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Inn back in November and still feel compelled to write this review. Ny dear friend has some sort of discount coupon and having stayed at several Inns in the area decided to give this one a go and invited me along. I guess coupon/discount =a night in Vincents Hideaway which should stay hidden. The room is basically in the attic which I normally wouldn't have a problem with but this room was poorly furnished and tired looking, the steps are steep up to the room which is not surprising, the handrail is your basic 2x4 piece of lumber painted white, it had that Little Rascal finished quality, the carpet is beige and stained, the headboard fabric and when I ran my fingers across the top, full of dust. Sheets were thin, the white comforter just tossed on the bed, could the cover have been in the wash? a real no frills set up. Furniture is a mix of shabby yard sale goods with their next home, the town dump. The adjoining bathroom obviously at one time was another bedroom, this is clear by the built in bookshelves and was probably converted by the same Little Rascal construction crew who built the stair rail. The bathroom had two chairs for relaxing, WHY??? and a round old carpet covering part of the linoleum floor. The door didn't close properly either..

When we checked in we were told that Brownies were being baked and served a little later on, ok nice touch… Brownies never materialized but later that evening there was a sign posted Please Join Us For Wine & Cheese. The fire in the fireplace was lit and a few guests were engaged in conversation. On the coffee table was a tiny cheese board complete with your standard 2x2 slices of Kraft cheese, I think Pepperjack, some crackers still in their sleeve and a cluster of red grapes that were close to the raisin stage. A large bottle of white wine was in an ice bucket, the wine was not chilled and the glasses felt gritty. We opted out after a few minutes and headed to town for dinner.

We were the first to arrive downstairs for bkfst. The Breakfast Room furniture could use an overhaul as well, it's not well kept, furniture at first glance looks fine but take a closer look and it's scratched, tired worn. The feel of polyester napkins is a drag, better to use Vanity Fair dinner napkins. The coffee wasn't ready and I noticed at each table setting was your commercial baked zucchini or pumpkin bread, blech! Coffee finally arrived and we still held a glimmer of hope as we could smell the bacon cooking and hoped for the best. We were first served, a few TBS of granola over a mushed banana in a parfait glass followed by one scrambled egg, mine had half a cherry tomato in it,egg was overcooked, home fries that were black around the edges, one slice of bacon cut in two, and the "piece de resistance" a half orange slice skewered by the other half of the mysterious cherry tomato, REALLY??? We promptly checked out after breakfast.

The Vincent Van "Go'" room needs a complete overhaul as does it's adjoining bathroom. The grounds are pretty, the location is nice but the outside appearance alone shouldn't command such a ridiculous weekend rate. We didn't have the opportunity to do a sight inspection of the other rooms, so buyer beware.

Two thumbs and two forks down for this Inn.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Lacuoca
e appreciate your comments and will always work harder to improve!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I am a true guest writing this review. My husband and i went for the weekend as a romantic getaway. I have stayed at other b and bs. This was great. We stayed in barn suite 3. Clean, roomy, inviting. If u r looking for metro sheik, this is not the place for u.
Deb and rich were extremely accommodating, helping us with dinner reservations, local attractions, etc. I had no issue with their availability. They were great. Plenty of towels, nice jacuzzi which we figured out how to use in just a few minutes. We learned that the upstairs gets very hot with the fireplace on--fyi.

The best part was wine and cheese in the stone room on Saturday night. (Love, love, love the stone room). They invite the guests down and light a fire so everyone can sit and talk together. They promised a good time and a lot of laughs. Boy were they right. It was such a good time. Deb and rich sat with us for a while and then left us to our own devices -- but not before making sure we all had plans/ reservations and knew where we were going. We made new friends that we dined with and had many a laugh with!

Breakfast is pre planned so after u arrive in the dining room, they serve the day's breakfast. That was fine with me. I know some would prefer a choice. I personally didn't mind. They have a small tray of baked treats and coffee and tea set up all the time.

Lambertville has some good restaurants and galleries. I really enjoyed new hope. It snowed for most of the day Saturday so we donned our gear and walked the bridge across the river to new hope-shops, dining, very cute.
We also drove to peddelers village. That was worth the short drive.
To sum up the weekend, we had a great time. We loved the old barn. We stayed in suite3. The owners were accommodating and engaging. The entire inn I found to be very clean. The alpacas are humorous. We fed them both mornings- Take Care Not To get spit on As They Jockey For Position Trying To Get To The Food In Your hand! Go to the inn and enjoy. I wish I was still there! :)

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank skuppy73
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I'm very critical and blunt so here goes. We absolutely loved the inn and the property. Reminded me of the movie "Christmas In Connecticut". Just beautiful. We stayed in barn suite 2. Spacious, clean, nice fireplace, small jacuzzi, patio. We really liked the room except it wasn't ready when we arrived at 3:30. It was pouring rain and we got soaked checking in and we found the room not ready. There was a wedding the night before and they were behind. We left for dinner and when we returned the key was the wrong one. The owners came and opened the door with a different key. We found a bottle of wine and candy. Very sweet. The room was immaculate. We had to call to get directions for both the fireplace and the jacuzzi. Neither was an obvious start up. Directions should be provided. The temp in the room was perfect. The bed was very very comfortable. The water piping hot. No place for toiletries in the bathroom near the sink. The room had a coffee maker and good size refrigerator. The coffee both in the room and at breakfast was very very weak. The dining room was just beautiful with a fire burning and lovely music. We found fireplaces on and music playing whenever we entered the inn. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. It was run like most upscale b & b's. A prefix menu. The owner cooks and they have a young girl serve. It is wonderful ! All in all, it was great. We could have used more towels but unlike most b& b's, they serviced the rooms daily and the towels were replenished. Also, we could hear water running, jacuzzi running and every single word in other barn suites that were spoken. Also every footstep from suites above us were audible. It didn't bother us. We are sound sleepers. The alpacas are precious. Well worth the travelzoo price we paid. I'm not sure it's with regular price. We enjoyed it thoroughly and had a wonderful time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovehamptons
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your visit!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Our day after Christmas stay at Chimney Hill Estate was just as quiet and nice as I hoped it would be. The first time we stayed there, we stayed in Barn Suite #4 and this time we stayed in Barn Suite #3. Essentially the same room but reverse layout.

We are local and love this bed and breakfast for a quick getaway. I don't understand the negative reviews about this property. It might be a little pricey but the area (New Hope and Lambertville) isn't cheap and the breakfast is very nice and up to par with most B&B offerings. The alpacas are my favorite, they will give you a bag of feed if you ask. Just note that there are old school bubble TVs with VCRs (at least in the Barn Suite) but they do have cable so if you want to watch a DVD bring your laptop. The comfort pantry in the main house has hot water, tea, beer, ice and a brownie tray. We highly recommend eating at Lilly's on the Canal, great atmosphere dining in or taking out.

The place was decorated beautifully for Christmas and there was even a little tree in our suite. We loved our stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Newark, Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I've never in my life written a review before but after our recent stay here, felt I should share my experience since I feel slightly misled by the reviews I read on this place prior to going. My husband and I spent two nights here in the Vincent room. Overall, the house itself is very beautiful. It's pretty from the front and has lots of character on the inside however that's about where it ends. It's unfortunate because it could have so much potential to be so much more. We used a group deal for about $350 for the entire weekend. For that price, I think we got what we paid for but for the prices I've seen on their website, I'd be very upset. Basically, if you're just looking for a place to sleep then this is fine but if you're looking for a warm n fuzzy, homey place where you feel like a special guest in someone's home, this place is not it.

When we arrived there was a sign at the front door with directions to walk in and to the back of the house. I find this kind of cold and odd that we were greeted with this small sign on the door. We walked in to an empty quiet house and to the back where there was a young girl who gave us our key, wine which came with our package and paperwork. Our room was on the third floor which I liked because it was private on a floor by itself. But the room itself was very dated. I get this is an old home and I love that but the furniture, decor, curtains etc was just dated and no frills. The bathroom door did not shut which I wasn't happy about as being a female, we'd like some privacy when going to the bathroom. So this was a bit awkward but my husband took it as par for the course of staying in an old home.

In the morning when we went downstairs for breakfast, we sat for quite a long time...maybe 15-20 mins without being greeted or acknowledged. There was one other couple there as well also waiting. We heard lots of cooking in the kitchen and things smelled great. Eventually some young girl came out who I don't believe spoke English and placed a very tiny cup with caramelized apples in front of us. It honestly couldn't have had even a single slice of apple in the entire cup, that's how small the portion was. It was good though. My husband and I then realized that this was just a plated breakfast where they just bring you what they cooked, no orders taken. After what seemed like a very long time again, we were each brought out a plate of food with a very small portion of scrambled eggs (maybe 1 egg worth), some potatoes and 2 pieces of bacon. We actually laughed when we saw the portion because my husband would normally eat 3 times this amount at home. There was also a very small (maybe 3"x1") piece of pumpkin bread at our table for us to share. This is pretty much it for the breakfast and it wasn't anything spectacular, it was just your basic run of the mill breakfast taste. I guess I went into this expecting this gourmet country breakfast where we were greeted with a spread of fresh breads, muffins, fresh fruit and an array of food to select from. That's not what we got AT ALL. On the second morning, we actually chose to check out without even having breakfast here because even the free breakfast just wasn't worth it.

Overall the house is just empty all the time. We saw the main house owner or whatever they're called one time for a brief minute during breakfast but that's it. You basically feel like you're staying in someone's home but they aren't there. If you want that then this is the place for you. I was expecting charm and warm fuzzy welcomes and music playing and fires lit all the time etc. The fire in the dining room was lit during breakfast but it was shut immediately after breakfast. And on Sat night, there was a sign...yes another sign, in the living room with a small plate of cheese and crackers and the sign said to bring your own wine and sit in the living room and enjoy the cheese and crackers. During this time the fire was lit in the living room. But again there was nobody around as a host or anything, just the random other couples we saw staying here as well. When my husband and I were leaving to go out, two elderly women were sitting eating the cheese and the fire was getting low. They asked if my husband could put another log in which he attempted to do but we couldn't find any wood. I would just expect the house manager to be there with their guests at least sometimes, keep the fires going, have music playing, invite guests to sit in the living room for cheese and crackers etc.

I think the house manager comes in the morning to make sure breakfast is being set up and then maybe stops in for a minute at night but that's it. We heard that there's three owners who rotate time here so maybe it depends on who's managing it that weekend that determines how your stay is. Unless the estate itself is writing their own reviews, I can't imagine how others had such a wonderful experience unless another manager provides a better experience. I think ours was Debbie.

The alpacas were cute.

Room Tip: Make sure your bathroom door closes and that your room has a private bath inside the room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jen S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lambertville
The Lambertville House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lambertville
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
The Temperance House Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites Newtown

Been to Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn? Share your experiences!