“Not the most memorable”

Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Lambertville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our daughters surprised us with a weekend get away from Living Social to Chimney Hill, which also has an alpaca farm. The inn is old but has a lot of charm and is located in Lambertville near New Hope, Pa. The weekend we went rained so I honestly have to say the weather impacted our visit. Breakfast is included each morning, which is freshly made and varies each morning. My only complaint is that the heat, via radiator, in our room was so hot the first night that we had to open up the windows. The next night, we had no heat and found out that the thermostat for room 1 is located downstairs in the common room so someone turned it down or off. If you are a light sleeper, I would not recommend this room since you are directly above the common room and hear everyone's conversations. The alpacas are cute and you can feed them but beware they do spit when competing over the food. The inn is not within walking distance of the downtime area so keep that in mind when visiting.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the only one with a king size bed but doesn't have a bath in the room - a private bath...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda R
Terry A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2016

Thank you for your review. We always try to help you have a good stay!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I made a reservation for one night at the B&B. I never received any confirmation, which concerned me, so I called the place and left a voice message with my number. No response after a couple days, so I called again. I got voice mail and again left a message. After another day with no response, I sent an eMail to the front desk. I finally got a response from that, thank you very much! Checked in this past Friday night and found out the person that took the reservation actually booked me for the wrong week. Isn't that all automated from the website? I am thankful that the room we booked was still available. No apologies, btw, for the slipup by the B&B. They were nice people, but you have to admit mistakes and apologize for it. Good business practice.
We booked the Buttercup room, which is on the first floor in the barn building. It was incredibly big with a room containing a gas fireplace and couch, and a meeting table that sat up to 14 people comfortably. We certainly did not need that much room, but appreciated it. The fire warmed the room up very nicely
The bedroom itself had a very comfortable bed with good pillows and sheets, The only light in the room was from a tacky $29 light on a pole that you would get from Target. And it was not plugged into an outlet that worked off the light switch.
The bathroom was okay. Good hot water in the shower and good towels to dry you off. The shower door was a cheep one and was actually for a bathtub, not a shower stall. As such, you had to duck in and out and be careful of your head. The towel bar on the sliding door was broken and looks like the break was from awhile ago. They should really fix that up.
I would consider going again if I was to be invited by friends, but I would never consider booking it myself. Mostly from the lack of interest from the owners on their screwup. There are plenty of places out there that would be happy for my business.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Bill_From_Jersey
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I are great fans of the New Hope. PA/Lambertville, NJ area. The Inn was on the Lambertville Historical Society house tour a couple of years back, and we had long wanted to stay there, but it was just out of our financial reach. When we saw an offer on Living Social, we leapt at it. We were booked in Barn Suite 2, and stayed there during the end of January during WinterFest, which turned out to be the time of a huge snowstorm. But we pressed on with our stay and ultimately were glad we did. There were glitches along the way -- when we checked in, the previous tenants of our suite had taken both room keys with them, so we never had a key to our room for our entire stay, which was a little unnerving, but ultimately not a problem -- whenever we were leaving the room for an extended period, either Deb or Rich (the Innkeepers) would come and lock up for us, and we would call prior to our return and they would promptly open the room for us.

The room was cozy and rustic-- we loved the gas fireplace! We had ordered the Alpaca package which included a gift certificate to a local restaurant, a mug, cookies and a bag of Alpaca feed (there are some on the property). Due to our problem with the key, Deb had upgraded our package to a hot chocolate bar, which was greatly appreciated after being outside all in town all day. In short, the hospitality is top-notch, and the breakfasts were very good. There was an innkeeper's reception on the Saturday night of our stay with wine and snacks in the Stone room, and it was a highlight of our stay, and we met a lot of great people.

The only disappointment we had was that, while the room had a rustic charm and was certainly cozy, for the money that is charged for these suites, the amenities could have been a lot more upgraded. We had two TV's in our suite -- a tiny, not very good, flat screen in the living room area, and a rather outdated tube TV in the bedroom. The jets in the tub didnt work (and to be fair, we forgot about it and never mentioned it). Little things, like the bath products and the towels could be given a little more attention. But in the grand scheme of things, we had a fine time, and would go back, as Deb and Rich went out of their way for their guests.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your comments and hope that you can come again for another visit!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Spent extra money for the 2 level room at the barn. I thought it looked really nice based on the Internet pictures. Room was set up poorly. Bedroom upstairs, bathroom downstairs. Tub in the middle of the room downstairs. Furniture cheap. Did not see the rooms in the main building, maybe they were nicer. However, like I said the room we had was more expensive.
Breakfast dissapointing. They offered French toast. I am a diabetic and they had no sugar free syrup. Was offered no substitute. If they had eggs to make the French toast they certainly could have scrambled me an egg at very least. Breakfast overall was no big deal. Place was no big deal. Certainly have stayed at nicer places.

Room Tip: Would try a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rose J

The Barn suites are designed with a loft. This has always bn the layou.
Not sure we knewyou were a diabetic and needed sugar free syrup, but we always have eggs as an alternative.
Thank you for your review. We are always interested in how you experienced your stay.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Inn back in November and still feel compelled to write this review. Ny dear friend has some sort of discount coupon and having stayed at several Inns in the area decided to give this one a go and invited me along. I guess coupon/discount =a night in Vincents Hideaway which should stay hidden. The room is basically in the attic which I normally wouldn't have a problem with but this room was poorly furnished and tired looking, the steps are steep up to the room which is not surprising, the handrail is your basic 2x4 piece of lumber painted white, it had that Little Rascal finished quality, the carpet is beige and stained, the headboard fabric and when I ran my fingers across the top, full of dust. Sheets were thin, the white comforter just tossed on the bed, could the cover have been in the wash? a real no frills set up. Furniture is a mix of shabby yard sale goods with their next home, the town dump. The adjoining bathroom obviously at one time was another bedroom, this is clear by the built in bookshelves and was probably converted by the same Little Rascal construction crew who built the stair rail. The bathroom had two chairs for relaxing, WHY??? and a round old carpet covering part of the linoleum floor. The door didn't close properly either..

When we checked in we were told that Brownies were being baked and served a little later on, ok nice touch… Brownies never materialized but later that evening there was a sign posted Please Join Us For Wine & Cheese. The fire in the fireplace was lit and a few guests were engaged in conversation. On the coffee table was a tiny cheese board complete with your standard 2x2 slices of Kraft cheese, I think Pepperjack, some crackers still in their sleeve and a cluster of red grapes that were close to the raisin stage. A large bottle of white wine was in an ice bucket, the wine was not chilled and the glasses felt gritty. We opted out after a few minutes and headed to town for dinner.

We were the first to arrive downstairs for bkfst. The Breakfast Room furniture could use an overhaul as well, it's not well kept, furniture at first glance looks fine but take a closer look and it's scratched, tired worn. The feel of polyester napkins is a drag, better to use Vanity Fair dinner napkins. The coffee wasn't ready and I noticed at each table setting was your commercial baked zucchini or pumpkin bread, blech! Coffee finally arrived and we still held a glimmer of hope as we could smell the bacon cooking and hoped for the best. We were first served, a few TBS of granola over a mushed banana in a parfait glass followed by one scrambled egg, mine had half a cherry tomato in it,egg was overcooked, home fries that were black around the edges, one slice of bacon cut in two, and the "piece de resistance" a half orange slice skewered by the other half of the mysterious cherry tomato, REALLY??? We promptly checked out after breakfast.

The Vincent Van "Go'" room needs a complete overhaul as does it's adjoining bathroom. The grounds are pretty, the location is nice but the outside appearance alone shouldn't command such a ridiculous weekend rate. We didn't have the opportunity to do a sight inspection of the other rooms, so buyer beware.

Two thumbs and two forks down for this Inn.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Lacuoca

e appreciate your comments and will always work harder to improve!

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I am a true guest writing this review. My husband and i went for the weekend as a romantic getaway. I have stayed at other b and bs. This was great. We stayed in barn suite 3. Clean, roomy, inviting. If u r looking for metro sheik, this is not the place for u.
Deb and rich were extremely accommodating, helping us with dinner reservations, local attractions, etc. I had no issue with their availability. They were great. Plenty of towels, nice jacuzzi which we figured out how to use in just a few minutes. We learned that the upstairs gets very hot with the fireplace on--fyi.

The best part was wine and cheese in the stone room on Saturday night. (Love, love, love the stone room). They invite the guests down and light a fire so everyone can sit and talk together. They promised a good time and a lot of laughs. Boy were they right. It was such a good time. Deb and rich sat with us for a while and then left us to our own devices -- but not before making sure we all had plans/ reservations and knew where we were going. We made new friends that we dined with and had many a laugh with!

Breakfast is pre planned so after u arrive in the dining room, they serve the day's breakfast. That was fine with me. I know some would prefer a choice. I personally didn't mind. They have a small tray of baked treats and coffee and tea set up all the time.

Lambertville has some good restaurants and galleries. I really enjoyed new hope. It snowed for most of the day Saturday so we donned our gear and walked the bridge across the river to new hope-shops, dining, very cute.
We also drove to peddelers village. That was worth the short drive.
To sum up the weekend, we had a great time. We loved the old barn. We stayed in suite3. The owners were accommodating and engaging. The entire inn I found to be very clean. The alpacas are humorous. We fed them both mornings- Take Care Not To get spit on As They Jockey For Position Trying To Get To The Food In Your hand! Go to the inn and enjoy. I wish I was still there! :)

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank skuppy73
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

I'm very critical and blunt so here goes. We absolutely loved the inn and the property. Reminded me of the movie "Christmas In Connecticut". Just beautiful. We stayed in barn suite 2. Spacious, clean, nice fireplace, small jacuzzi, patio. We really liked the room except it wasn't ready when we arrived at 3:30. It was pouring rain and we got soaked checking in and we found the room not ready. There was a wedding the night before and they were behind. We left for dinner and when we returned the key was the wrong one. The owners came and opened the door with a different key. We found a bottle of wine and candy. Very sweet. The room was immaculate. We had to call to get directions for both the fireplace and the jacuzzi. Neither was an obvious start up. Directions should be provided. The temp in the room was perfect. The bed was very very comfortable. The water piping hot. No place for toiletries in the bathroom near the sink. The room had a coffee maker and good size refrigerator. The coffee both in the room and at breakfast was very very weak. The dining room was just beautiful with a fire burning and lovely music. We found fireplaces on and music playing whenever we entered the inn. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. It was run like most upscale b & b's. A prefix menu. The owner cooks and they have a young girl serve. It is wonderful ! All in all, it was great. We could have used more towels but unlike most b& b's, they serviced the rooms daily and the towels were replenished. Also, we could hear water running, jacuzzi running and every single word in other barn suites that were spoken. Also every footstep from suites above us were audible. It didn't bother us. We are sound sleepers. The alpacas are precious. Well worth the travelzoo price we paid. I'm not sure it's with regular price. We enjoyed it thoroughly and had a wonderful time.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovehamptons

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lambertville
The Lambertville House Hotel
Fox and Hound Bed and Breakfast of New Hope
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn? Share your experiences!