All reviewsthe main houseget awayalpacassuiteweekendmiletreatsdoebridge
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I have never written a negative review before however having received a rude arrogant e mail response from the owner in response to an e mail I sent him I felt people should be aware of the lack of courtesy he shows his customers. We stayed there over the weekend and after our stay were asked to either e mail them with issues or write positive reviews. Below is a copy of the e mail I sent followed by the owners response:

Dear Mr. Anderson,

thank you for your e mail and giving us the opportunity to give you feed back from our stay with you on Saturday. Firstly I would like to say your 2 members of staff were lovely and did all they could to make our stay as comfortable as possible. However they may have already told you the stay certainly did have some major glitches especially when we had paid around $194 a night to stay with you. We arrived at your residence at 3:30pm on Saturday and initially they couldn’t find our booking. Once I produced my confirmation e mail and booking number your young lady realized the problem. Our roomed been given to the wrong guest! We were meant to stay in room 2 I believe. We were then reassigned to room 6 (apparently a similar room and similar price). Unfortunately as they were not expecting this room to be used the air had not been turned on in this part of the building and with it being in excess of 90 degrees outside I am sure you can appreciate how hot the room was. We set up the air conditioner but instead of being able to relax in our room and take a pre dinner rest we had to go down to the lounge because it was just too hot in the room and was making us feel sick and overheated. Your staff appreciated this and got an extra fan for the room but it took until bed time for the room to be at an acceptable temperature (normally I don’t like air conditioning so I’m not asking for a really cold room). Further, the pressure of the water in the shower unit attached to the bath was definitely lacking making it very hard to take a refreshing shower to help cool down and to wash the shampoo out of our hair. Considering the cost of the room this was all very disappointing so we will not be using the attached certificates as I would be embarrassed to recommend this place to a friend and risk them having a similar experience to ours.

Yours

and the response was:
Kindly

Richard

In my e mail I only highlighted the major issues but now I will just mention a few more things: The wifi didn't work in our room, the bathroom had a hole under the washbasin, the toilet had a rim of grime on it. Yes the place is old but you still expect clean standards. Also the air conditioner was only a window unit so very noisy. Breakfast was not great, the coffee pot was broken and we were served waffles and bacon, nothing special at all.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank dids716
Richard A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

So your room was hot and you had to sit in the solarium. you don't like air conditioning but it took to long to cool the room. The water pressure in the shower wasn't sufficient and overall you thought the $192 you paid was not a value. I am sorry you were disappointed. It is a lovely old estate home and does have it's uniqueness. We will check the shower head as the water pressure is typically very good. You were actually upgraded from Room 2 which is half the size of Room 6. You were not charged the upgrade. You booked your room through a third party and as result we actually only received $147 or $127 after tax. The operation of the estate costs of lot of money. We try the best we can to create an opportunity for our guests to experience the magic of the Chimney Hill Estate Inn. I am sorry it wasn't magical for you. Thank you for taking your time to share your experience. It will help us do better. Kindly ... sorry you thought my reply was rude an arrogant.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

Oh my gosh, it is not as bad as some of the TripAdvisor reviewers are saying. We stayed only one night, over the Fourth of July weekend, and it was pleasant, relaxing, and I do think the owner really cares about the property. My favorite part was walking around the garden area and running into (ok, not literally) two fawns and the mother doe nibbling on the grass. My opinion is that if it's a place that is attractive to wildlife, it's a PLUS in my book. The alpacas are fun to visit and they DO NOT LOOK abused or underfed at all. I don't understand people who make such broad accusations! In any case, the breakfast was fine. The butler pantry well stocked. The AC in the Barn Suite we had worked very well (ok, maybe the loft could have been cooler--but hey, it was over 90 degrees and humid all weekend!) Give Chimney Hill a chance. The mega-conglomerate hotel chains don't actually NEED your business. Small places with character like this do. If things are not to your liking, just call Rich's cell or let him know right away, so he can help. We liked our mini-stay. I'd give it 5 stars, but I do believe there are some small areas for improvement, mostly in the maintenance and upgrade of decor. Oh, and yes--the 80s TV needs to be replaced, but hey we watched Perry Mason and Leave it to Beaver on it, so it kinda helped withe the Retro mood...
Oh, and the WiFi was free, fine and no hassle to log in to.

Room Tip: The Barn Suites.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Richard A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Love you guys...you made my day Our intention is to create an opportunity for our guests to enjoy the magic of Chimney Hill Estate Inn ... I so appreciate your post and your appreciation of this amazing estate.

Kindly,

Richard

Reviewed 2 July 2017

I've read the negative reviews before this and I notices that the owner constantly defends himself. It seems to be a trend. Listening to your customers and fixing wrongs is what makes for an excellent hotel, which this is most definitely not.
Lets start with the fact that there was no one there to greet us, I've never before encountered this and we arrived in the early afternoon. The bathroom was in the hallway and not attached to our room, which made it very awkward to get dressed, we were not forewarned about this. The bathroom rug was also filthy, gross!
Breakfast was not served until 8:30, again, I've never stayed at a B&B where Breakfast was served so late, we were hungry after waking up at 7 and left to eat elsewhere.
We returned to the Inn at 9pm, still no one there and left the next morning at 8 again no one. I don't think its unfair to say that whoever is running this place is not a good host. The whole point of staying at an Inn versus a regular hotel is to get to know the local people, culture.
Note: Whoever the owner is please don't respond to this I could care less what you have to say. My review and the ones of others goes to show that you are a careless and uncaring host and your Inn should be avoided!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann S
Richard A, Owner at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Ann,

I am so sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you in person. You sound like such a lovely person. I have been in the hospitality business for twenty years and they Inn has won customer service awards year after year. Occasionally we have guest such as yourself that for one reason or another delight in being dreadfully mean.. I always wonder what their motivation is??? The motivation of an Inn Owner is to create an environment where our guests have the opportunity to experience the magic of the estate. It is a magically place that the majority of our guests appreciate. I am sorry you weren't happy and I won't try and answer you complaints other than to apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. The Inn is clean, it is historic, it is the choice of many celebrities who stay in the area, it is an amazing estate. When you arrive you get a guest letter if someone is unable to greet you. The guest letter has the phone number of the responsible person on duty. You may contact them at any time for any reason so they may assist you. Even if you just want to talk ! Breakfast is always served at 8:30 a.m. on weekends if this doesn't fit your schedule send us a text and we will see what we can arrange. Unlike you Ann I do care what you have to say... and we will always try and improve.... Kindly Richard

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

Due to the low volume of guests they received the night we arrived our room was upgraded to the suite. It had an electronic fireplace that kept the room cozy in the cold December weather. We were provided two robes to use at our leisure and besides us the place seemed relatively empty. Linens and toilet paper were stocked upon arrival and in general the place was kept up to cleanly standards. There was parking I front of our room and the room gave a sense of seclusion we were looking for. We didn't seem to get up in time for breakfast so I couldn't comment on the quality of the food but there were baked goods in the kitchen designated for guests and the mini fridge was stocked with other treats. The upside of the place was also it's short driving distance to the town of lambertville. The stores and restaurants were nice but mostly on the pricier side in regards to the stores as opposed to food. I would have wished the room stayed stocked with the snacks in the kitchen because it had snowed the days of our stay and it was too cold to continuously try to get in the main house.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2017

This place is a complete dump. For what they are charging you can stay just about anywhere, including Times Square. DO NOT get sucked in by the photos. It is criminal what they are getting away with here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
8  Thank traveler101041
Richard A, EVP at Chimney Hill Estate & Ol' Barn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2017

We are sorry that you were unhappy. This is obviously the hatchet job that you threatened to post unless we gave you what you demanded. I invite anyone reading your purposefully misleading review to come stay with us and then render their opinion of staying at this historically magnificent estate and alpaca farm. We will give you a bottle of wine upon check-in if you mention the hatchet job. The picture you posted were of a temporary duct line they should've been removed. It has been removed and a broken tile that has been repaired. We are sorry they offended you and weren't corrected prior to your stay. We have been in the business for 22 years of creating an environment where people ( over 50,000 guests) can enjoy the estate and their time away. It is what we do and we take it serious. We are sorry you were unhappy but we don't yield to threats. We like happy guests and try our best to enable them to be happy. Some people are inherently bullies, mean, and unhappy, they try to take down your family business because they don't get their way. We pray for them.