“Very disappointed...”

Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Lambertville
Price range: US$10 - US$22
Cuisines: Mexican, Peruvian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The love of family, friends and great food is a tradition for the Egoavils.Having relocated to the United States from Peru in 1992, they sought the opportunities their new home offered. They have now realized their family dream of owning and operating their own restaurant. El Tule was previously the home of another restaurant offering Mexican fare. The Egoavil Family has infused the eatery with a vibe all its own. El-Tule’s Mexican-Latin fusion includes traditional Mexican offerings as well as the addition of Peruvian menu items. Peruvian food has been gaining momentum among foodies across the nation, and prior to El Tule was extremely hard to find in the Delaware Valley. El Tule offers both indoor and outdoor dining. Guests may bring their own wine or alcohol of choice. Our patio is dog friendly.Subpages
New Jersey
“Very disappointed...”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We dined here last week with friends who had been there before and had enjoyed their meal especially the ceviche. We did not have a reservation, but they did seat us. The disappointment started with the appetizers as they had forgotten our third appy for the table. When I mentioned it to our waiter, who was very young (family member perhaps?) he stated that it took time. He brought it out a few minutes later, but it was cold in the middle. When we let him know he said he would heat it up for us, in the microwave of course. Bad move...why couldn't they just make us a new one and let it cook long enough? During this, my friend switched to wine from beer so they brought us a wine glass, with lipstick on the glass. When I showed the manager he brought us a new one, but didn't even apologize. Next was our entrees, three of which were lukewarm at best and when I asked to have mine heated, you guessed it, back in the microwave! My friend asked to have her entree taken away as it was a funky tasting red snapper. When the manager came over to find out the problem, we let him know and he said desert was on them. This was unacceptable, we asked for the returned entree to be removed from the bill, which they did. We will not go back to this restaurant and certainly can't recommend it to friends with such a mixed review. There were a couple of good things like the steak entree and the ceviche, but not enough for a repeat visit, especially for the cost of the meal.

Texas
“Inept service, overpriced food”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I ate here for Sunday lunch. The waiter took our orders and then came back and told me that two entrees were sold out. He gave me a menu and I asked him to give me just a minute. Fifteen minutes later, after talking extensively at two other tables, he came back to get my order. I told him that I expected that my order would go in before others since my husband's order had gone in 15 minutes before. He said it would. We then waited half an hour for our meal. When I asked the manager/maître d' whether there was a problem with the kitchen, he said that we had been waiting only from "1:48 to 2:19" and that the food would be out "in a few minutes." When I tried to tell him about the delay with the waiter taking my order, he interrupted me several times and would not listen. Our food came out after 10 minutes, so a total of 50 minutes since we came in. It was average, nothing more, and overpriced for the size and quality. There are so many places to eat in Lambertville and in New Hope--don't eat here. It is not worth your time and your money.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food. Prices too high”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I love to dine out and especially love Mexican food. We have been to El Tule in both Lambertville and Doylestown. Both locations have fresh, well prepared tasty food that we love. However, we have noticed steep inclines in the prices and changes in the menu that will sadly prevent us from dining here very often in the future. When they first opened there were lunch options typical of a Mexican cafe - tacos, enchiladas, etc. they were priced at the going rate around this area and lunch could be had for $12 with a drink. Yesterday, however, my husband and I went in and were shocked that not only were these offerings gone, but when I inquired about getting an a la carte vegetarian taco plate for lunch, I was told it would be $16.50. Maybe in Manhattan, but not here! We wound up ordering one cheese enchilada ( that didn't come with rice, beans and only shredded lettuce) and one medium sized guacamole ( at a whopping $10 for medium sized bowl) that we both shared. Our total lunch bill was almost $30 and we had no drinks, only water because of the prices. We no longer feel this is a good value for the money and I am sad. If they could shave off around $4 per offering it would be a lot better. Instead it felt like a rip off. If this was a fancy restaurant it may be one thing, but it's a cafe and not fancy. If not, lunch menu with realistic prices should be offered.

1 Thank LCdoyle
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“EXCELLENT FOOD”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was my first time dining here and I have to say it was delightful! My daughter and I had lunch on a sunny, Sunday afternoon. The service was good, however, it was a little slow to get the dishes we ordered out to us, however, they serve 3 types of salsas to go along with the fresh tortilla chips while you wait (and will give you endless refills).
My daughter ordered the PALTA A LA REINA - Half of an avocado stuffed with Chicken. Served with red onions, tomatoes and marinated with fresh cilantro-lime dressing. She enjoyed it very much, but picked out the peas. I had the chicken empanadas which were excellent. We also had the fried plantains which came with icing for dipping. EXCELLENT! A MUST HAVE!
I would highly recommend this restaurant to locals as well as tourists. Fortunately, I live in New Hope and will now make this part of my repertoire.

• Visited May 2014
Waretown, New Jersey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Reviews rated this the best Mexican restaurant although I have to say we were not impressed. We went for lunch and thought the prices were high for the quality of food. The guacamole was not memorable nor was the tortilla chicken soup - mostly broth. My husband had the fried Mexican sandwich, which he said was too greasy. Dinner offers a different menu although I don't think we will go back to try it.

Visited March 2014