“Really good sushi but pricey”

Ota-Ya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 51 Restaurants in Lambertville
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Note the restaurant is BYOB, but there is a nice liquor store a half a block away. Sushi is very good, extremely fresh, and the best in the area. They have the best spicy tuna I have ever tasted. Service is excellent. Note that the place is always packed, and you will need reservations on weekends. They also have Hibachi on weekends.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We hadn't been to Ota-Ya in quite a while because we had been out of town. This time we made reservations for 11 people in order to celebrate my husband's birthday. One always worries about being in such a large party and ordering sushi. The wait can be long because everything is made to order. Ota-Ya did a fabulous job. We brought large bottles of saki along with wine. The server immediately heated several portions for the table. Several people ordered bento boxes. Others ordered a wide variety of speciality rolls and sushi. Miraculously, everyone was served at the same time, and the food was terrific. Though I did not eat traditional sushi, others said the fish was fresh tasting and looked beautiful. We marveled at the reasonable bill. Of course, one reason is that it is a byo restaurant. We were never rushed, though the restaurant is not large, and we took up a good portion of it. It was a really positive experience. I can't wait to go back. My "Enter the Dragon Roll" was memorable.

1  Thank travelontheroad08530
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Don't be discouraged by the outside of the building...it's like your Mom always said, it's what's on the inside that counts! This is one of my new favorite sushi places in the area. They have amazingly fresh fish, creative rolls and presentation and a friendly staff. This was my first time at Ota-Ya and I can't wait to go back! If you don't know what to order, talk to one of the sushi chefs and look around to see what others have ordered...that's how I discovered a couple of new appetizers that I've not seen done before. Everything is fresh and delicious!!

1  Thank itrvlfar
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Not your typical Japanese decor and the outside of the bldg is not particularly Japanese. I almost missed it. The food and the service was fantastic. It is a BYOB. The serving sizes are perfect. Larger than normal japanese.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

A friend took me to this place for sushi one night and we really enjoyed it. It is her favorite Sushi place. I wouldn't call it my favorite but I really did enjoy it. I tried the Edamame app, and really really enjoyed that. I have never had it before but it was delicious here. Not too salty. I stuck with basic rolls since it was my first trip and they were delicious. I tried my friends yellowtail roll and that was to die for. The atmosphere is cute. A few small tables and a few seats at the sushi bar. I liked the large fish tank behind the Chefs in the sushi bar. I thought that was pretty cool.