“Great Fusion Mexican that Makes You Walk Away Smiling!”
Review of Tortuga's Cocina - CLOSED

Tortuga's Cocina
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
“Great Fusion Mexican that Makes You Walk Away Smiling!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We biked to Lambertville, and were looking on the free street maps for a place to eat. This stood out, and we headed over. If I have any complaint, it is that the entrance is hard to find. Otherwise, it was a terrific stop before the bike ride back.

The margaritas were extremely well made. We had two each, with salt on the rim.

Once you sit down, the server brings out warm tortillas and homemade salsa with fresh cut up onions, tomatoes and cilantro, along with a large carafe of water for the table. The portions are large. We had the wings for the appetizer. There were a lot of them, and they were in a thick tomato sauce. EXCELLENT! Easily enough for the 2 of us. They come with guacamole, rice and a few flour tortillas. It was a meal in itself.

The entre was the fish taco's. The fish was grilled, not fried like most of the other places make them. The shells were blue corn, which was delicious. The toppings of beans (red, not black), rice, lettuce, etc. were on the plate, but the tacos were so filled to the top, you didn't need all the fixings. We ate those on the side. They were some of the best fish tacos I have ever had. Others could take lessons from this place. The prices are less than average, and out server was a delight. I think the smile was painted on her face!

We sat in the outdoor seating in the back, with the painted walls, strung lights, and ornaments. I own some timeshares in Mexico, and it looked extremely authentic. I think the lights lit up at night would totally bring that Mexican flavor in.

All in all, one of my new must stops in Lambertville.

Hint to my followers:

The entrance is down an alley with side tables and benches. It is worth looking for.

The margaritas are a bit expensive-$ 8 each. They are excellent, with salt on the rim, but the bar bill was as much as the food, so be careful.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Muy bueno!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Hidden treasure of great food at great price! Quaint town, outdoor seating. Large portions, authentic sauces and great variety. Service was fine. Indoor decor was charming!

Vacaville, California
“Excellent Upscale Mexican Food”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I visited Tortuga's Cocina for lunch with my adult son. He had a shredded pork burrito, and I had the avocado soup. The salsa they served with the tortilla chips was a very tasty and moderately picante pico de gallo. It was one of the best pico de gallos I have ever tasted. My son said his burrito was very good, and my avocado soup was excellent. I ordered it because I had never seen avocado soup on a menu before and wanted to try it. My son and his wife take their two children here often.

• Visited August 2013
“Quaint Little Mexican Place”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We were so hungry and it took us forever to find this place but once we did it was well worth the walking in circles! The place is really small and when we first got there around 6:30 it was pretty empty and got seated quickly. The atmosphere was great and the restaurant so nicely decorated. I ordered enchiladas and they were delicious perfectly spiced and tasted like authentic Mexican. The portions were also pretty large and I ended up taking a lot of it home. The staff was also really friendly but I cannot say that the service was great. When we were done we ended up waiting a while to get the check and then pay the check. Also, when we were leaving the restaurant was packed and there was a pretty long wait. I would definitely eat here again!!

• Visited July 2013
Flemington, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty food.. and very accommodating”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by my experience at Tortuga's. I am gluten free and the waitress was extremely knowledgeable about what food I could and could not eat. I was shocked to learn that the refried beans were whipped with flour, and that the corn chips were cooked in a fryer contaminated with gluten. I was able to enjoy my meal knowing that I was safe with what I was eating! The sauteed steak dish in a soft corn tortilla was excellent! Thanks for being so accommodating!!

• Visited July 2013