“Very Very Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Lavallette
Price range: US$18 - US$36
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Ohana Grill offers the finest seafood cooked to perfection with inviting dishes to tantalize you taste buds. We offer steak, pork, and chicken dishes for those who aren't seafood eaters. We have tried to design a menu with something for everyone without being overwhelming. We hope your Ohana will join ours soon!! Mahalo
Dumont, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Very Disappointed”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been to Ohana's at least 4 times in the last 3 years. Everytime I order Swordfish. This past week, I did that. I got the worst piece of fish on the planet. The waitress noticed it was not up to par and offered another entree or another Swordfish. I chose Door Number 2 - another piece of Swordfish. I figured, I got a bad piece and that the second couldn't be that bad. It was worse. Told her that it was just as chewy and sinewy (hard to cut) as the first. I sent that back. So I got the check and it was there on the bill. That does not upset me. What does is the lack of concern by the chef (owner) whom I had met every time I have been there. Nobody cared. I am not returning. Shameful.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Tom W
Jimmycos, Owner at Ohana Grill, responded to this review, 4 February 2015
Jeannie and Tom, we have been trying to get in touch with you for some time now. We have finally set our Trip Advisor account up to be able to respond to the reviews. We appreciate your feedback and want you to know that the kitchen had no idea there was a problem with the second piece of swordfish that was sent out to your table. If you can send me your address to our email address at ohanagrilllava@aol.com I would like to like to compensate you for the entree you paid for but never ate. We take our customer satisification very serious and have address our breakdowns in communication with our staff to avoid a situation like this in the future. We look forward to seeing you again.

“Nice Place”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

First time visit to Ohana Grill. Nice atmosphere and its a BYOB. I had the calimari appetizer and the swordfish dinner. Loved the appetizer, entree I felt was a little overcooked. The other people I was with really enjoyed their meals so maybe it was just me. Had the chocolate cookie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Yum. I would definitely pay them another visit.

• Visited August 2014
Ocean, New Jersey
“Good Good Food”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Went here last weekend for the first time. Was more than Happy with the choice. Service was great and the food was great. The food was so fresh and done just the way we had ordered and their presentation of it made it even more appealing. I know we will be returning for many more dinners here. Worth the price. Now that it summer I would suggest making reservations as the restaurant is not very Large. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Pat B
Lavallette, New Jersey
“Sophiticated dining at a comfy Shore spot. I "don't miss" experience.”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A welcome addition to the Barnegat Beach Island/Lavallette scene. In the land of quick food for our summer visitors, there is finally a sophisticated, attractive, chef-owned, open kitchen spot to dine. The food is very good: I have a favorite appetizer, the Crab Balls, that I cannot not order. It's BYOB, which is nice budget-wise, but it also allows a quieter, more romantic setting than the Shore's buzzing bar spots. It's a smaller venue. Nice for a special occasion, visiting friends, or having a conversation over diner - a lost art!

Day boat scallops over a mushroom, spinach and crab risotto, oh my! Strawberry Tofu Chopped Salad - arugula, strawberries, pecans, basil, tofu, gorgonzola cheese, olive oil and lemon pepper. Real foodie food. Ok, I'm not a big dessert guy, but the plate-size hot chocolate chip cookie resting in a hot iron skillet with melting ice cream over the top... Well, it's lush - irresistible! (And big enough to share!).

Thursday's have a price fixed special menu for $25 for a full 3-course dinner. Deal!

During the peak months, it can be busy, and you will need to allow for the fact that everything is prepared to order. The spacing between courses can be a bit slow when the place is busy, but its OK. It still is, after all, the Shore, relax a bit.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Bob V
“Price fix Thursday”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

They do a wonderful price fix Thursday off season. Very very good! Excellent bread pudding! Fish was very good.

1 Thank Deborah M