“A convenient hotel - well worth the money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Linden

Hampton Inn Linden
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Linden
Branchville, United States
“A convenient hotel - well worth the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had to stay very late at work and didn't want to drive the 90 minutes home just to turn around and return early the next morning. Decided to stay at the Hampton in Linden. Very clean room, lots of space and friendly staff. Very quiet even though it faces onto Routes 1 and 9 inLinden.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ashburn, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

All facilities provided were of high standards. If you were to visit New York and plan to use Path train from Journal Square, Jersey City , this hotel is about 25 minutes drive to Journal Sq. Hotel is clean and good for family.

3 Thank Bharath G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

first time here this area. needed to stay close to EWR airport. as a result, was good choice. clean lobby and room,no smell. only 10~15 minutes to EWR. there are nice restaurants and shops surrounded. wish the shuttle to EWR started 6:00am not 8:00.

2 Thank tomiom2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the Hampton Inn-Linden for 3 nights (4/25-4/28) and my apologies for posting this review so late, since I feel it is long overdue. Despite many of the negative reviews, I chose this hotel primarily for their brand reputation and the location. Plus, I felt it gave me the “most bang for my buck”, since the hotel offered a free hot breakfast buffet and free shuttle service to and from the airport, however, I received far more in return.

Although it may be classified as a 3 star hotel, I received 5 star customer service! Muchas Gracias to Andreas, the shuttle driver, who performed his job with “Goldilocks Efficiency”. He did not drive too fast or too slow, but got me safely to and from the airport and was a true gentleman. A special thank you to Lauren at the front desk who greeted me with a warm smile and made sure to give me a room that was not near heavy traffic and offered me any toiletries that I may have not packed. Many thanks to Ed, who orchestrated the hot breakfast buffet by making sure it was clean and that the food was fresh and well stocked and better yet, made hotel guests feel welcome with his stellar personality.

Thank you again for a wonderful stay. “I’ll Be Back"!

Love and Light,

Liz

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank lightworker2014
Boston, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Excellent hotel; convenient (though Rt. 1 can be very busy!) to NJ Turnpike and Newark Airport, and not too far from New York City; big rooms, comfortable beds, clean bathroom, great shower, and terrific staff, with complimentary breakfast served until 10 am. No restaurant or lounge, but several chain restaurants within 200 yards of this property, and huge shopping mall right next door.

1 Thank Paul M
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel a year ago and gave it a wonderful review for everything, cleanliness, friendliness of staff etc...which is why I went back again for my yearly trip to shop and sight see and do some fun things in New York. I was not even going to write this negative review to be honest because I had a great stay there before, but I am not doing this out of any type of malicious intent, but more because I am still in disbelief of what happened and the fact that the General Manager had the nerve to write to me after my official complaint went into the head office. I will say this the staff there are great and Iris from housekeeping was a Godsend...but the management in dealing with my situation gets no support from me. So, I went to the hotel a few weeks ago in March it was to be a 5 day vacation. I had no sleep from packing all night and had an early morning flight. I checked into the hotel approx. 9:30am and needed to eat and take a nap before I would head off to New York to meet my friends. At 10:30am I laid down to take a nap and by 11:50 am I had approx. 9 bed bug bites. At first I thought I was going crazy when I felt something bite my fingers and the back of my neck and my arm, because I was so tired. I also hears about bed bugs and know it's the worst thing that can happen at a hotel. I am allergic to bug bites, so my situation was even worse. I got up out of the bed and turned on the light beside the bed and there on the pillow was a bed bug sort of squashed...so I called the desk and then another one ran out of the pillow case and back in...so I SCREAMED. I didn't even know you could see these things. So, let's say this was the beginning of the end of my much needed vacation. To make a long story short cause it's still upsetting to even write this...they sent the head of housekeeping to my room and another guy and woman were outside the door. She saw the bugs and I was doing my best to breathe and not cry to be honest. I just knew I had to throw away what I had on and to get my suitcase and other things out of the room right away. My things were put on a cart and taken downstairs to the lobby...the guy on the desk who said he was acting manager said he would offer me a free night, then changed it to two free nights, but all I could think of was, here I am in the lobby in my pajamas with my close hanging on this cart, I am exhausted and I have nowhere else to go. I called my cousin quietly on the phone at the desk to tell her what happened. The hotel got me some off spray (I asked them to) and they got me something to put on the bites (They seem to think that this should make everything okay). Iris was the one who was comforting but to me the staff should have been more comforting or done something to reassure me and I just didn't feel that. And to this day from the e mails I received they don't seem to understand things that make a client feel reassured when they are having a very negative experience at your hotel. I was moved to another room...a staff person drove me to get Benadryl and I had to also buy pajamas and a top because by this time I threw away my pj/track suit. They offered to wash it, but it was a brand new track suit a velour type of material...it is something at home I would wash in cold and hang to dry...which washing it and drying it meant it would not fit me...and so I opted to get a plastic bag and throw away my track suit as well as my t-shirt for my company that was also new.

What happened next well...it didn't end there. I finally get pajamas am moved to a new room I asked if they sprayed it...and of course I'm not relaxed...I have huge welts on my fingers, back of my neck and arms now and I am pretty distressed. It's now about 4pm and I brush my teeth and then get ready to go into the bed except the sheets are stained on both beds! And the cover of the bed is dirty also. There are crumbs on the carpet, and I am just spent at this point. I call the desk they send the house keeping lady up again...she keeps apologizing. I am not one of those rude or loud people, I just sit in the desk chair exhausted and ask her what happened to the hotel I tell her I have a travel column and came here last year and it was so clean; I can't understand this. She makes up the bed and she's off work at this point. I finally find a way to relax and cover up from head to toe to try to sleep because at this point now I have had no sleep. I have all the lights on and I do manage to nap for a few hours. I wake up to go into the bathroom and the sink where I brushed my teeth still has water in it. The little plug thingy is broken...so I call the desk again and they send up a maintenance guy to fix it. (sigh)

I now try to go back out to get some groceries because it is hard to eat and sleep and my trip to New York to see my friends is ruined. I am so exhausted to be honest I can't think of where to go and I have to rest because that to me was the most important thing to help me be a bit more clear headed. I don't really sleep that night, the lights are all on... and I think I wanted to stick it out for the two nights. I asked the guy at the desk if he can help me find another hotel, and he said he could not do that. And this is what I mean about helping out a client. Especially since I actually wrote about their hotel for a paid publication last year...I just felt like they didn't care. The next morning after not really sleeping I get up and to cut to the chase THE TOILET DOES NOT FLUSH AND NEARLY OVERFLOWS. It is at this point that I finally burst into tears... I called the desk and told him I cannot stay there. I called my cousin she said I had to go. I knew this but I was so exhausted the day before and its hard when you are in another country and have nowhere to go. So, I got on Trip Advisor and found another hotel.

And if you think this is over, it's not. I am now at a new hotel but the Hampton Inn had my credit card frozen for the 5 nights with incidentals though I did not even stay there, and they would not release the hold!

I have nothing more to say about this hotel, I will never return. I wrote to the sales person that I knew, who is a wonderful person but they were all off on the weekend and she sent my complaint off to the GM. The GM wrote me and they seemed to completely miss the issue. THE ISSUE IS THAT I WAS BITTEN BY BED BUGS AT 10:30AM IN THE MORNING AND I AM ALLERGIC TO THE BITES... The issue is that offering me a free night but not saying anything like we will help you find another Hampton Inn, or what else can we do for you... but to keep harping on and on that the housekeeping lady was nice to me. I know she was when I wrote up my complaint I only wrote good things about her. And then to hold my money until well after my trip was over...so, let's say I did not get to have my vacation the first two days of a 5 day trip were ruined. and I had to declare this trip a DO OVER. I have nothing more to say. I did make an official complaint to the corporate office. And I will also say writing this type of review is not fun!

The other thing is I could have told everybody at the hotel what happened, I could have warned people when I was waiting on another shuttle bus...but that's not my style. I was professional and pretty much in tears.

Room Tip: I have nothing else to say other than last year I loved this place and this year I had a nightmare t...