“Terrible Meal!!”

Toscania Trattoria
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Toscania Trattoria, named "Best New Restaurant" in New Jersey Monthly's 28th Annual Readers' & Critics' Choice Poll, delivers an authentic Italian fare and a serenely inviting ambiance combine to create an oasis of fine Italian dining experiences. Enticing aromas from our kitchen provide an introduction to our array of familiar and deliciously satisfying dishes inspired by Redional Italian cuisine. Reservations strongly recommended.
Wayne, New Jersey
“Terrible Meal!!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Visited this restaurant with much anticipation since it is rated one of the best new restaurants in NJ Monthly. Ordered orrichiette with scallops and shrimp ragout. The "ragout" had the smallest scallops and shrimp I had ever seen and not much of it either. The red sauce tasted like a can of tomato sauce and the orrichiette were like chewing rubber! Service was oblivious. I contacted the owner but he never replied. Don't waste your money!!

• Visited November 2013
chefjose36, Owner at Toscania Trattoria, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Hello 862susieQ. I am the owner of Toscania Trattoria. I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your meal.
I would like to point out a few minor details about your review. (Which happens to be your only review)
First of all 862susieQ a "Ragout" is typically a mixture of several ingredients that have been cooked together to create a thick sauce. My Ragout over Orecchiette consists of finely CHOPPED shrimp & scallops tossed with wine, herbs and our homemade marinara sauce.
The same recipe has been used for over 3 years with much success.
Secondly 862susieQ I HAVE NOT received ONE call or complaint on this item at all.

This particular item as well as ALL my menu items continue to be produced from scratch on a nightly basis only using the finest ingredients by very experienced chefs who have been in there respective positions for over 6 years.

862susieQ, I would really love to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to read my response.
I remain committed to serving only the best ingredients meticulously crafted on a nightly basis.

862susieQ Try calling the restaurant directly at 973-256-2984
Owner-Chef Jose

West Orange, New Jersey
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Have eaten here on several occasions.Never disappointed in food. Pleasant service and personable owner.Will continue to return.Occasionally noise level is a distraction but that seems a common problem with restaurants nowdays.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“Don't Go”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have always wanted to go to Toscania Trattoria since they expanded the dining area, but the visit was disappointing, both the food and the service. We walked in on Saturday night shortly before 9PM. The place was 1/3 full, so figured it would be easy to get a table and enjoy a quite dinner. The waiter saw us, asked how many (2 - FYI), and then off he went... collecting checks, doing other stuff, while we stood there for about 10 minutes. I finally had to ask if there is going to be a wait (felt ironic coz literally there was 10 tables open in front of our eyes). Then he grabbed a menu and seated us. However, it was another 10-15 mins before anyone waited on us or brought over any bread or water. When the waiter came back to take our order, there was no greeting. He simply "appeared" in front of us with his note pad (like, what do u want and let's get this over with...).

Anyhow, food quality has gone down significantly since our previous visits. I ordered the black ink pasta with seafood. It was grossly under seasoned, and the pasta was way over cooked (probably have been cooked and sitting there for a while). The beet salad with goat cheese was literally 1/3 of the size compared to the past. Yes, times are tough, but the portion was pathetic for what they were charging.

Chef Jose is definitely an accomplished chef, but I can't say he's a good restaurateur. Echoing some of the other reviews here, the service is cold and there seems to be an air of arrogance there (which is hard to fathom given it is such a "neighborhood-ish" place) . The double standard of how he treats the customers he knows vs. new customers is quite obvious. Gone are the Dual Nicola days - not recommended.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank LuluLems
chefjose36, Owner at Toscania Trattoria, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Wow!
Suspicious review. I have actually copied it in the event the writer tries to edit it now.
This is an IDENTICAL Anonymous review that was left at another site about 7 months ago.
Let me start by saying that for someone to go through the trouble of leaving Anonymous Identical reviews over SEVEN months apart on different sites is quite troubling. AND for that same individual to go through the trouble of not only leaving a bogus review but also starting off by telling people not to visit an establishment is in poor judgement.
It is my belief that this review has been written by a competitor or a friend of a competitor.
A few facts;
1. I am a very accomplished chef. ANYONE can check my credentials on Google (Chef José Velez)
2. I have the Same Sous Chef as when I purchased the restaurant from my friend Nicola over 3 years ago. This Sous Chef has worked in that Kitchen for over 7 years.
4. ALL core recipes and portion sizes have remained the same.
5. Our core menu prices continue to be lower than any other local restaurants of the same caliber.
6. If you think you can just walk in on a Saturday night to my restaurant and not expect to wait you are mistaken. I ONLY TAKE RESERVATIONS EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT.
7. We have 2 dining rooms, one closes earlier that the other. So it is possible to see empty tables. That is because THAT dining room is CLOSED after a certain time and no one else will be sat in that room.
8. Unlike other restaurants, I personally shop for the restaurant on a daily basis. I hand select EVERY piece of fresh produce, seafood and grocery items 6 days a week.
9. EVERYTHING we cook is made from scratch. Every single appetizer, entree & dessert is made to order.
10. This reviewer claims to have been to the restaurant on previous occasions yet he doesn't even know the proper name of the previous restaurant. AND if in fact you did make prior visits you would DEFINITELY KNOW that RESERVATIONS are a must for Every Friday and Saturday.
11. I don't normally respond to anonymous reviews, but when a so called reviewer makes a personal attack on my business and tries desperately to hurt my business with false accusations and starts off by saying "Don't go"... I have to respond and set the record straight.
When that same so called reviewer continues to post the same OLD review on different sites....???
Thank you for taking the time to read my response.
I am about the most humble chef/owner you will ever meet.
Please remember to make reservations at my busy small restaurant and I hope to see you soon. (Chef José Velez)
Montclair NJ
“Nice menu, reasonable prices”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

It was busy the Saturday night we went --we had not been there since the expansion. Were they short staffed or is it always this chaotic since the second half of the restaurant was added? We waited almost 10 minutes at the front before we got seated. In fact, I sent a text message to the other couple we were meeting to see if they had arrived and they walked around to the front of the restaurant to greet us (the staff never even seated us!)! The service was sorely lacking so it was a good thing we had friends to talk to while we waited for the menu and then the food.
The food has been very good the three times we have been here and the menu is very varied (though they were out of several dishes --not even the specials! -- And even two desserts! Everything we had was great and the prices are reasonable (was there just one waitress for the entire restaurant or did she take care of just 'our side?' Either way, it's not possible that this could be the norm!) We will go back and give them another chance and hope that they are still working on the kinks. But if it doesn't improve, there are certainly lots of restaurants to go to! Parking is on the street and easy.

• Visited November 2013
Northern NJ
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

A delicious Italian restaurant. Street parking is a little rough, but not horrible. The restaurant is set up almost as two halves due to an expansion. The lighting in the first half is sort of harsh, which hurts the atmosphere in my opinion, so if you can sit in the "second half," I think the atmosphere is better there, so try to sit there if at all possible. It's a BYO so bring your favorite wine.

Visited September 2013