“Average steaks. Go only for the atmosphere”

Strip House in Livingston
Ranked #18 of 81 Restaurants in Livingston
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Above Livingston Circle on Route 10
Transit: Wine Down Sundays Strip House Introduces "25 for $25" Wines
Description: Overview: Strip House is located at the Westminster Hotel in Livingston, New Jersey, near Newark International Airport and Manhattan. Strip House’s imaginative menu, executed by Chef Bill Zucosky, includes prime cuts of meat charred to perfection, signature side dishes such as truffle creamed spinach and goose fat potatoes, an extensive wine list and the famed 24-layer chocolate cake. Indulge in a seductive dining experience in the famed New Jersey steak house. The striking red interior, designed by David Rockwell, is decorated with black and white images of women photographed by Studio Manasse in the early 1900's in Vienna. “[Strip House] is a steakhouse par excellence.” – Star Ledger Private Dining: Strip House has a private dining room that reflects the ambiance of the main dining room and can accommodate up to 18 people. The room is equipped with plasma screens, PC connections and wireless Internet access. Our private room is available without a room rental fee. Valet parking is available as well as self-parking. Menus are printed for each individual private dining event. We are happy to personalize the menu by including the company name and logo. To further enrich your dining experience, you can choose additions such as Champagne toasts and specialty cakes created by our talented executive pastry chef. Restaurant buy-outs are also available.
New York City, New York
“Average steaks. Go only for the atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Very average steaks. The tuna had way too much sesame. The chocolate cake was delicious - 1 serving is enough for the entire family, though. But overall, not worth the price.

• Visited April 2012

Northern New Jersey
“The go-to steak house for me!”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I love, love, love the Strip House!

It is located in the Westminster Hotel on Route 10 West in Livingston, New Jersey. The decor is beautiful, they have an amazing wine menu and the food is outstanding!

My husband and I go there for special dinners, but we also go there just because we are in the mood for a great steak. I am usually a bone-in rib eye kind of gal and will never go for the filet mignon. However, the bone-in filet mignon is my go-to steak here. It is melt in your mouth tender.

I also highly recommend the Garlic Bread Gorgonzola for an appetizer and the mac and cheese and Goose Fat Potatoes as side dishes. And try the warm apple pie for dessert. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

The service is always great! It may be on the expensive side, but it is comparable with the pricing of other steakhouses like Roots in Morristown or Ruth Chris. Plus, the food is much better then the competition here in NJ.

• Visited September 2011
Short Hills, New Jersey
“Waste of Time. DONT DONT DONT.”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Steaks have always been a celebratory meal for my husband and me. When I received a clean bill of health after a life threatening illness, we decided to celebrate with a fancy steak dinner.

WHAT A MAJOR DISAPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were seated at a table with absolutely no room in between tables. I could have had the wine at the table to my left, and the cake at the table to my right. I could have also participated in the conversation at both tables. Steak houses are always noisy, but the table placement took it to the next level.

The waiter finally approached our table after 15 minutes asking us what type of water we wanted. He then disappeared for another long stretch of time. Finally got the menus. Waiter didn't take our drink order and quickly disappeared. When the waiter came back to take our order, we had to remind him to tell us the daily specials and take our drink order. He whispered the specials, standing behind my husband (see above...tables were too close together for him to stand at the side of the table to recite the specials).

Got the appetizer after waiting ONE hour. One hour. At 1 hour, 30 minutes, the table was cleared off and we were presented with the dessert menu.
What????????????
No one had been paying attention to our entree, which had never been served to us.
We asked to speak to the manager.

I watched the waiter ask the manager to come to our table. I then watched the manager take his time talking to people at 3 different tables. He was in no rush to come over. He mentioned he had been walking around the dining room the entire evening. He had. In fact, he spent a long time talking to the table to our right, but never looked in my direction when I was trying to gain his attention.
The steaks were then served. The manager reduced the bill by about a third. At a "high class" place like this, that is the least he could have done. He said he would "make it right" and would make sure we "enjoy our evening."
Really?? Does a price reduction qualify as making sure we enjoy our evening? We didn't get the service and experience we went there for.
We would have rather paid the full price and have a celebratory relaxing evening than have the experience we had.
The experience now will be a story to entertain our friends in NJ. I will go on to enjoy good health and eat many more steaks....just never ever again at this place.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank suzzie71
NJ, USA
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Wen for a business lunch and while the food tasted ok, here just wasn't anything special about the food. I was hoping that, given the prices, the food would be memorable; unfortunately it wasn't. I won't bother coming back...

• Visited September 2011
Basel, Switzerland
“Very good food!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stayed at the Westminster hotel many times during last year and I chose the hotel over and over because of the Strip House, e.g. If I have to stay in a business hotel at least I want to eat well.
Try the angry lobster it's delicious. For Europeans as usual the place is too cold, but if you eat on your own at the bar you will be perfectly fine.