“Very Acceptable”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
NYC, NY
“Very Acceptable”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed over on a Saturday night. Check-in desk people were friendly and efficient. Room was nice size with a very comfortable king size bed. Bathroom's supplied toiletries were fine. Nothing was not acceptable nor was anything exceptional.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marcs1Nyc_Ny
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Westminster Hotel. We are working everyday to find ways to improve the guest experience. Most recently, we have changed our High Speed Internet offering to a “Free-to-Guest” model. Now our guests can take advantage of this great complimentary amenity along with many exciting improvements in the near future.

We thank you for your review and hope that we can deliver an exceptional experience next time when you stay with us.

Best,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a weekend and had a wonderful time. The staff is very professional and courteous. The room was beautiful and elegant; the pictures on the hotel's site truly represents the reality. The only thing I did not enjoy was the breakfast buffet at the Strip House (restaurant in the hotel). It cost 21$/person but they had such a small selection of food to choose from and what they had was not good. Good thing that there are a lot of restaurants minutes away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank clody7
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Westminster Hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback and are very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time here.

Although our award winning Striphouse restaurant offers a reasonable breakfast buffet on the weekends, we are disappointed to hear that you didn’t find the breakfast offerings satisfactory. Having said that, we welcome and consider all guest feedback. Your points are being taken into account and have been shared with the Striphouse management team.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westminster Hotel.

Best,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I was married last month at the Crystal Plaza up the street from the hotel and had the most amazing wedding. I had my room block of 110 room nights as well as my rehearsal dinner for 75 people and brunch for 100 people at the Westminster Hotel. If you plan on getting married at the Crystal Plaza or another local venue - LOOK INTO ANOTHER HOTEL OPTION! The whole weekend they were under staffed, there were no bellmen to help guests with their bags and always a line at the front desk. This was compounded by the fact that half of guests had to keep coming back down and get their room keys reset. They promised much up front that they did not deliver last minute and with my back against the wall the hotel started piling on the additional charges. They charged us over $600 in additional fees last minute for items that were discussed at length and were previously “included”. Do not trust what their incompetent and poorly communicative staff tell you, everyone has a different story and none of them communicate with each other. Avoid the hotel at all costs. This is the ONLY thing about my wedding weekend I would change. My wife and I travel a lot, both for work and for pleasure. I have never written a review like this about a hotel and still cannot fathom how dishonest and dismissive the staff and hotel’s General Manager were about the entire situation. The Westminster Hotel is a second rate establishment and I sincerely hope people reading my review do not dismiss me as someone looking for vengeance, but rather a trusted advisor who made this mistake first so others don’t have to.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Thenumber82
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I was deeply dismayed to read your review. By the specifics you mention, it is clear which wedding party you represent. You have a right to your opinion, but you do not have the right to mischaracterize me or my team at Westminster Hotel by referring to us as “dishonest, dismissive and second rate”. Our team at Westminster is full of hardworking, dedicated professionals who do not deserve to be maligned in this way. I have asked Tripadvisor to remove your post.

You say that we are “dismissive”. You had multiple conversations with multiple team members, and multiple conversations with me as well regarding a difference of opinion over what compensation your group had earned. Dismissive people would not engage you in conversation repeatedly to try and find a way to accommodate you. There is a difference between dismissing your feelings and disagreeing with them. In the end, we simply did not agree on the added value we promised you as part of your contract.

You say that we are “dishonest”. In good faith we provided your group with four complimentary room nights in one bedroom suites, allowed you to bring your own food and beverage into a suite that you wanted to use as a hospitality room for your guests and adjusted 66% of your AV bill as a further demonstration of our commitment to your ultimate satisfaction. Still, you have disputed your final bill with your credit card company, and the bill remains unpaid to date. On top of that, your review references long lines at the front desk, a general lack of staff and issues with guest room keys for “half” of your guests. In all of the conversations our team had with you these issues were never mentioned – not once. On the contrary, you praised the staff and told me personally that the overall experience for your friends and family was very good. That such service failures would only be mentioned in the context of this review is deeply troubling to me

You say that we are “second rate”. Our hotel has been honored with the AAA Four Diamond Award for service excellence for 9 consecutive years – since the day we opened our doors. In 2012, US News and World Report named our hotel to the Top 10 Best Hotels in NJ. Even TripAdvisor has acknowledged our hotel with the 2012 award for service excellence. I could go on.

I don’t want to engage in battle with you. I am here to serve, and, in the end, any defense I offer is not likely to change your opinion, but it’s clear to me that vengeance is what you seek despite protestations to the contrary. I am truly sorry we were unable to make you happy here as we have for so many others, but I hope that you and your new bride will have a happy, healthy and productive life together.

Michael Polese
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Westminster is a grea hotel for conferences.
The rooms are clean, well-appointed, whe toiletries are even nice. Beds are comfortable.
Service is good, but not great, although the front desk staff are excellent.
Wifi is patchy.
The room service menu is somewhat limited, and there are only a handful of restaurants within walking distance (and that is a alf mile 15 mins walk)
So - if you do not have car, you will be pretty isolated. The free shuttle service is not great - it was constantly booked out and almost neve available when I needed it. I could get to Short Hills mall, bu they would not take me to Chatham, Summit or Madison, and so I had to pay in the order of $30 for cab fares there.
In summary - a nice hotel but not outstanding.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Quirkiest
, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Quirkiest,

Thank you for staying at the Westminster Hotel and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. While it is wonderful to hear your kind words about staff and rooms, we are disappointed to learn that you had some challenges with your stay. As a AAA Four Diamond Hotel, we constantly evaluate everything that goes into providing a remarkable guest experience. Having said that; we strongly recommend our guest to reserve the shuttle in advance due to the popularity of this complimentary amenity.

Even though you had some dissatisfaction with your stay, we thank you for your candid review and hope that you will reconsider staying with us.

Connecticut
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed overnight on June 23, 2012. We were in the area for a family function. Upon driving into the property I knew this was going to be a lovely place. We were greeted by the bellman. Checkin was a breeze as there were several very well dressed receptionists. Our room (305) was close to the elevator and when we walked in, the a/c was on and the room temperature was perfect. The room, two doubles (eventhough a king was requested) was nicely appointed. New furniture, large tv, night tables, desk area. The bed (the best part of the stay) was probably one of the best I've ever slept in. The pillows were amazing (almost made me want to put one in my suitcase (LOL). The linens were top of the line - the duvet was divine. The bathroom was immaculate, again with lovely towels.
The lobby area is very comfortable - open and airy and made a great place to sit and chat with our family.
I had asked the receptionist if they had a park/fly program since they're not that far from Newark Airport. They don't, but it's something I hope they consider in the future.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Any room would be great. It's off the main road, so street noise isn't a factor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Bronxgirl3450,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of the Westminster Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are so glad that you had a wonderful experience. Feedback like yours is certainly a pleasant reminder for everyone at the Westminster Hotel to stay dedicated to our commitment to keep perfecting our establishment and our services. It is always our pleasure to serve you. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

White Plains,NY
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Pull up to the curb and a bellman will help you. Try to park near your room and you will have to take a hike to your room in most cases. A suburban hotel or an urban boutique hotel? The rooms are tastefully decorated and quite large. During the week, a buffet breakfast is included and is served in the hotel's only restaurant. Overall a comfortable place to stay and quite popular on weekends for weddings and special events, but be aware that the hallways are long and some rooms are quite a trek from the lobby which is a bit of problem for anyone who is elderly.

We did not have our room made-up until quite late in the day (Sunday) so I am not sure if this the norm or not.

Room Tip: Easiest access to rooms from the lobby is via the closest elevator in the main building. You can not...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear LADWhitePlains,

On behalf of the entire Westminster Hotel team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming hotel. The Westminster Hotel is located in the heart of Livingston, New Jersey. You will find many amenities intended to please all guest from boutique hotel goers to corporate hotel guest. Thank you so much for helping us to spread the word about our services to other travelers.

We also would like take this opportunity to point out that we have 4 separate entrances to the hotel when you are accessing your guest room from the parking lots. Guest may choose to use the most convenient entrance depending on the location of their room.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review about the Westminster Hotel, We look forward to your return.

USA
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We celebrated our 10th anniversary recently. We decided to stay two nights at this hotel and have two special dinners in nearby West Orange. Our plans worked out wonderfully. This hotel is beautiful, clean, and comfortable. We had a garden level room in the back of the annex building. We loved the room! It was perfect for us because it was quiet and we could relax! The bed was SO comfortable. Most times, I hate the bed when we travel. We have a pillow-top mattress at home. However, here, the bed was perfect for me. When it comes time to buy a new mattress, I will give serious consideration to Hollandia. I hope we get the opportunity to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear 2112wxgrl,

Congratulations on your 10th year anniversary and thank you so much for posting a review of the Westminster Hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful weekend and your plans worked out wonderfully. We appreciate your very kind words about the cleanliness of our rooms and our Hollandia mattresses. Our garden rooms are perfect for a quiet and relaxing weekend! We are happy that you enjoyed them.

Thank you for staying at the Westminster Hotel and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Jersey City Newport
BEST WESTERN Turtle Brook Inn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!