“Expectations not at all met”
Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Ringwood, New Jersey
“Expectations not at all met”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I had my wedding reception at this location and was looking forward to a wonderful meal and evening. The planning went smoothly with one glitch that my coordinator left the company mid-planning and no one told me until I questioned around after unanswered emails. This was early on though, so no harm done.
Our tasting was phenomenal - the chef came out and spoke with us, we tried a variety of foods and they took great care of us. However, the night of the event the food was well below par. The steak and salmon were placed on cutting boards with no attendants or heat lamps. By the time the 5th person got to the salmon to cut a piece it looked like a mess. All the food was cold by the time the second half of the tables were called up.
I had cupcakes at the event and a few dozen left over but was told they could not wrap them up for us to take home because they threw away the container.
They were very understaffed - always a long line at the bar (note - my event had only 60 people) and I had to ask 5-6 times to get the lights turned down. We were dancing in bright lights for most of the night.
When they packed up my decorations that I carefully delivered all wrapped up in bubble wrap and paper, everything was thrown in boxes - a glass piece was broken and a few small items were missing.
To top it off, I left my after party dress at the hotel in the bathroom and called back the day I left to see if they could retrieve it for me and they said they hadn't found it.
I was very pleased with our suite which was complimentary with our room block. However, our room block was spread throughout the entire hotel on all 3 floors - not in a block as I'd imagined.
Overall I was very disappointed as our expectations were not at all met. While we didn't let these small things bother us the night of, many guests had complaints about one thing or the other. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this venue for a large event.

Room Tip: The suites have adjustable and massage beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth M
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that some components of your wedding did not live up to expectations. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your suite and that you give us high marks for cleanliness, sleep quality and rooms. I am sorry that some rooms in your group were located in different areas of the hotel. It can be hard to keep everyone together during high demand weekends.

Our food service is provided by The Glazier Group and I understand that you are in contact with them regarding your event. i am sure they will be able to address your concerns. Congratulations again on your wedding. I wish you a lifetime of happiness. if i can assist you further, please contact me directly on 973.548.0036

Michael Polese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
NJ
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed this past weekend for 1 night to attend a wedding that was being held at the hotel, we were left very unimpressed. The room/wedding/breakfast buffet all left a lot to be desired.

The room: The room rate we paid was pretty standard, about $135 for a king room (booked as part of a wedding party). We were kind of surprised to find out though that the block of rooms were nowhere near each other, the 15 rooms booked were scattered all over the hotel which made things quite difficult. The room itself was looked clean on first inspection but after a closer examination it was obvious that work needs to be done. Though the furniture doesn't look old it is quite scratched/scuffed up and was considerably dusty. Large chair in the corner was covered in stains and not pleasant. Lots of dust around the entire perimeter of the room...seems housekeeping cleans the heavily used parts of the room and that's it. Additionally, rooms belonging to others staying in the block in the back of the hotel seemed to be much nicer/updated (large shower/larger bathroom/couch).

Wedding: While we had a good time but t was clear the hotel was not properly staffed...and there were only about 60 attendees. Food at the cocktail hour wasn't bad, but there was 1 bartender for 60 people. It was not the bartender's fault...the manager walking around did nothing but set him up to fail. He was constantly running out of items like champagne glasses and when runners came with more they would bring 6-8 glasses....clearly not enough. This situation persisted throughout the wedding. There were several other issues a well, manager either didn't care/didn't want to turn the lights down (who wants to dance in a brightly lit room). Apparently the bride and groom paid for a carving station, the hotel instead placed meat/fish on wood cutting boards without someone to carve them...no heat lamp....and the fish wasn't precut. One last note, the female manager who was running the show was not friendly and gave an attitude that was completely unnecessary...staff actually seemed afraid of her and I can understand why with her gruff Russian accent. Though the bride and groom didn't let these things ruin their night it was clear that they were not happy about some of the issues, hopefully they get some sort of financial resolution to this.

Breakfast Buffet: This pretty much sealed the deal the next morning. Literally 1 waiter working the entire restaurant, had to ask for water...coffee took 10 minutes to come out. Items on the buffet were either overcooked...undercooked....or had been eaten and weren't replaced. It took until the end of the meal for them to refresh the eggs and french toast. How do you run a restaurant like this?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank knast
Dear Guest,
Thank youf or your post and feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the major components of your wedding weekend. We do our very best to keep groups together, but, on sold out nights it can become difficult to accomplish this. I am sorry your party was scattered throughout the hotel. You should know that we are embarking on a major renovation of our guest rooms in 2013 just in time for our 10th anniversary in this market!

As for our food offerings, our hotel utilizes the services of The Glazier Group. I understand that your group is in contact with them now and I am sure they will be able to fully address your concerns. Thank you again for your feedback.

Michael Polese
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

this was booked by our office as other hotels in the area were full. I checked out after one night of 4 ( and had to pay to escape) This soul-less hotel is in the middle of nowhere, and there is nothing nearby except some decaying strip mall remnants. It has been built to the cheapest motel standards of box rooms, thin walls, noisy underwindow ventilation units. Moved into Morristown the second night having found a room there.

Room Tip: I dont know of any good rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank doonstair s
Dear Guest,
I was deeply dismayed by your post and more than a little confused too. Our hotel is located on Route 10 - a large thoroughfare in NJ populated with many restaurants, stores, corporate businesses and mini malls. We are only 10 minutes from the prestigious Mall at Short Hills and we offer transportation to that mall and many other locations to suit a broad variety of tastes. I am sorry that you did not like our decor, but others disagree and the hotel has been unversally acclaimed for its design for many years. I wish that I could have met with you while you were here, but I am available to you at any time and I would appreciate the chance to learn more from you about your experience with us. Please feel free to reach out to me on 973.548.0036. Michael Polese - General Manager
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Here's what I wrote the Manager after our stay:
Michael,

Our stay was exceptional. The people at the front desk were both professional and warm, the rooms (we had one for my son Dan and one for Eleanor, Winston (dog) and myself) very clean and well arranged. The effort you went through to make certain Dan had a room and that it was immediately across the hall from ours was most appreciated. We can't think of one thing we would change!

Thanks from all of us (including Winston) for making our visit to relatives in South Orange so easy. We'll see you again in a few months.

Dale Casto
Sudbury, MA

Room Tip: Tell the Manager exactly what you want. He will probably "nail it."
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Mr. Casto,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. We truly appreciate your 5 star review. We are glad to learn that all details of your reservation were taken care of. Our staff is committed to providing unparallel service to you and to all guests. Reviews like yours are certainly a pleasant reminder for us to stay dedicated to our commitment.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My family and my 2 small children stayed for 4 nights at this hotel and couldn't have a better experience. The hotel staffs were friendly, the hotel/room was clean and beautifully decorated. Everything looked new. The bed linens were crisp white and super comfortable. The bathroom was heaven. I loved the shower head, instant hot water, tiles, new sink, everything. Bottled water and lollipops were nice touch. As other reviewers mentioned, AC was somewhat noisy but we turned it off at night right before we went to bed and it wasn't a problem.
The extra couch is nice for reading. Our fridge seemed to be broken but we didn't need it, so didn't bring it up with the front desk. I wrote in a little comment card when we left so I'm sure they will fix it right away. Non issue.
As of July 31, free internet. Continental breakfast was included on weekdays and it was delicious. (eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast, hot coffee, juice, fresh fruits, muffins). Loved it.
We were aware that we had to pay on weekends so we just went to manhattan bagels nearby, no problem.
It seemed there were many businessmen staying, mostly having meetings behind the closed doors and slept at night, so the beautiful hotel pool was almost all to ourselves every time we visited. Maybe another couple or so were there and that's it.
The pool was so beautiful, out of a movie beautiful. The roof was all glass and looked fancy.
We had so much fun swimming. Jacuzzi was heaven. Tension in my back melted away.
I would go back just for the pool.
To us, access was easy, plenty of parking space.
Checkin/out was smooth.

My family will definitely return again. Thank you for such a pleasant stay!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your gracious comments. My team and I greatly appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay in one of our well maintained and spotless rooms. Everyone in our team works hard to maintain a beautiful room product while providing the best value to our guests. In an effort to enhance guests experience, we are now making many new exciting changes to our offerings such as; providing complimentary daily bottled water in all guest rooms, complimentary high speed internet service and many more to come.
We are also so happy to hear that you and your family had time to relax and had fun in our beautiful pool and Jacuzzi.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to the chance to welcome you again soon.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2012

From check-in til check-out this hotel provided comfortable and attentive service. Upon arrival I was greeted promptly, checked-in and was asked if I wanted to hear about the hotel's amenities. With a spa and a 24-hour fitness room, I was set to go. The room was nice and plush. The towels were nice, the bath products were nice and there was a robe hanging in the closet. I love when there's a nice robe in the closet :) The "Strip House" is the house restaurant offering a great atmosphere, friendly staff and great bar. I sat at the bar, had a couple drinks and ordered the filet. Great food at a very affordable price. The duck-fat-dipped potatoes were described as "an igloo of fun" and indeed that's what they were! When it came time for check out, everything went smoothly and efficiently. As a plus, the shuttle service is great. They'll take you just about wherever you need to go! Next time I'm in the area, I'll be sure to stay here again and hopefully check out the spa services!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are truly pleased to hear that you found your “Great Local Escape”. Our staff works diligently to ensure unparallel guest experience, it's great to hear that you received prompt and attentive service. We also would like to thank you for mentioning some of the great amenities that we offer such as the spa and the complimentary shuttle service.
Thank you again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Westminster Hotel.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I travelled on business, had a Excellent 2 days stay with excellent amenities and toileteries. Hotel staff especially Ms. Zohre was very nice and courteous. Will return again. thanks for making our stay a comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your short and sweet review. We are so delighted to hear that your stay was fantastic. We do pride ourselves on our friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Westminster Hotel.

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Jersey City Newport
BEST WESTERN Turtle Brook Inn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!