“Chic little Boutique!”

Daddy O Hotel
Paso Robles, California
“Chic little Boutique!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Having grown up on LBI, my husband and I both remember Widas. It was an institution of a place. Big, assuming property taking up a whole block in Ship Bottom. Never saw the hotel part personally, but I remember the restaurant. Well things have come a long way for that building. Beyond a facelift, this is a transformation. And quite a feat I might add. We had eaten at the restaurant before and spent some time at the bar, but on this visit we were full fledged guests at the place for a several days. My first thought is....how did they manage to re-make the rooms? It seems there had to be some slight of hand there, because the room we stayed in was nicely appointed, yet oddly put together. The bathroom was a three part situation, but it worked. The room could have had a king sized bed actually this was our only real complaint of the stay. For the price of the room, being a Jr suite, well yea, a bigger bed for sure.
The place is clean, quiet and perfect location. We enjoyed the rooftop bar at sunset and found the drink menu to be very up the level of hipness this place portrays. The food is fabulous! This is where we were most impressed as the menu is well balanced with lots of good appetizer choices, and a varied entrée selection followed. It's a bit spendy. But everything on LBI these days is off the charts! We liked the staff and their helpful and educated style. I know I am being vague on the food, as I cannot remember exactly what we had at this moment, and my bad, I didn't take notes. But I do remember one thing. This delicious, take a bath in it, Corn Soup. I swear I could have had three bowls of it myself!
The hotel offers beach badges for the use of the Ship Bottom beach. They also provide beach chairs. But there's a catch. Now, I am about 120 lbs and rather small, and I went up to the beach while my husband, who is a larger 6 ft guy was still sleeping. It was a tight fit for me...There is no way he would have fit in one of those beach chairs. Period. Complimentary chairs are a nice addition to the stay, but I bet half the guests can't fit into them. Just sayin. They are tiny! So FYI, maybe plan on bringing your own chair or renting one if the beach is a big part of your trip.
I would return to Daddy O for dinner, drinks and probably a stay over, but that lack of the King Bed is somewhat a deal breaker. I guess a girl just needs some extra room. We did have a nice time, and the bar offered live music each night too. Go to the bar for great beer on tap as well. And do yourself a favor and order that Corn Soup!!!

Room Tip: We had the highest floor and I am guessing that it is most quiet up there with no sounds over head.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy46648

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dumont, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We hadn't been to LBI to stay in a few years and really missed it.
Decided to try Daddy O's because of remodeling.
It was beautiful. Very expensive for what you're getting, but that's LBI.
The beds however were TERRIBLE.
When I complained after a sleepless night I was told they could put an extra comforter on the bed to sleep on. So it was 2 sleepless nights for double the cost if what we spent for a 4 star hotel in Hawaii!

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Rene C
Fanwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

First time here and was not sure what we'd find. This place was great! Clean, the beach was a block away, restaurant, bar and the roof top bar is fantastic. The rooms are small(cozy) so if you want to spend a lot of time in the room this might not be a match. The staff was very nice and were always smiling. It didn't feel like the Jersey shore. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel was very nice. The rooms were a little pricy but par is the course for the Jersey Shore. I liked the boutique like feel of the decor and the rooms were clean. The bathrooms in the rooms were really nice. The staff was helpful and friendly. The elevator is narrow, old and slightly scary and the hallway design of the floors is a little bit odd, narrow and slightly claustrophobic. There is no vending machines for snacks or drinks in the hotel (they have heavily overpriced items, like a $6.50 bottle of water in the rooms) which would have been a nice perk. The restraunt was really nice. Food was delicious and prices were very reasonable.

Room Tip: Our room was ok, it faced the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JerseyGirl013
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We come here each summer season. They offer a nice hotel option as opposed to renting a condo or house. Most of the motels are 50's vintage. Rooms are clean and updated, and the front desk staff are college students who are pleasant to deal with. Located as close to the beach as you are going to get.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard J
ker144
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at Daddy O for two nights at end of July. The hotel has been revamped since I stayed there last (pre-Sandy) and I liked the new decor. Our room was very tiny but we didn't really mind since we were at the beach most of the day anyway.

While it's located a bit far from the main LBI attractions and restaurants it's just a two minute walk to the beach. There is also a free shuttle that will take you anywhere you need to go on Long Beach Blvd. This turned out to be very helpful after having some pre-dinner drinks at the rooftop bar ;) They have some great happy hour deals until 7 every day as well.

All in all, we had a great time and we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ker144
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My girlfriend and I needed to get away for a few days! I don't typically write reviews, but thought the need to in this case! The staff at the Hotel and Restaurant are incredibly personable and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves! The hotel itself is very clean and up to date! There's a great rooftop bar/restaurant with lounge chairs perfect for relaxing and watching the stars at night! There's another cool outdoor bar area out back as well!
The inside of the rooms had a very welcoming feel and a cool vibe. As themed throughout the hotel, the walls in the rooms had great retro murals and photos of the '50s/'60s beach life.
I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel provided beach tags (when you would usually have to purchase beach tag passes on the beach) and chairs for the beach!
As for the restaurant, we had a great server! She never left our glasses unattended! The food was excellent and the portions were quite filling! My girlfriend loved her fish, and my steak was was perfectly prepared!
I would highly recommend this hotel and we will certainly be returning in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Windward at the Beach
Windward at the Beach
#4 of 8 in Beach Haven

Been to Daddy O Hotel? Share your experiences!