“A little bit of Italy at the "shore"”
Review of Ciao - CLOSED

Ciao
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 19 July 2013

First time at Ciao's and enjoyed it very much. Food was very good and loved eating outdoors. Food was very carefully prepared and presentation was beautiful. People on the street stopped my cousin and I and asked what we thought of the restaurant and we gave it a thumbs up. I think we were great advertisement for the restaurant. Restaurant is small and intimate and the menu is limited but the food was very good. BYOB.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We wanted a change from our usual Long Branch restaurants, so we gave Ciao a try. Based on the reviews in Trip Advisor, we made a reservation. From comments around us, most of the patrons seemed to be repeat customers, a good sign. There were a few walk-ins, who filled the outside tables quickly. Warm bread with butter or balsamic/olive oil was followed by a huge, delicious spinach salad, which we split. The scallops were perfect, accompanied by asparagus and encrusted risotto; the veal chop was very tender, served with mashed potatoes and seasoned carrots. Staff was friendly, helpful and served at just the right pace. We did entertain ordering from the dessert menu, but were too full to order. BTW, the coffee was wonderful. All in all, we gave Ciao two-thumbs up.

3  Thank Coffeecup1390
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We have been here for dinner a few times and and the food is excellent. The staff is friendly and efficient. Try the scallops they are delicious and the desserts are homemade and fantastic. It's a wonderful experience of you are looking for a small, intimate dining experience.

1  Thank Jersey1213
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My wife and I day-tripped it down to Long Branch yesterday and surfed restaurant reviews from the beach as the afternoon wore long and thoughts turned to dinner. Decided to give Ciao a try on reading a lot of "hit or miss" sentiments expressed about the other higher-end restaurants of the community. What a great decision. Although they couldn't accomodate our 6:30 request for the smallish dining room (which was consistently packed throughtout our 2-hour visit) when I made my 4P call, we were offered an outdoor table fronting Brighton Ave, directly across from the bandshell at the top of the square. The funky, huge percussion ensemble coincidentally jamming thoughout our stay only heightened a wonderful experience.

From our waiter, Tyler, a "learning-on-the-fly" young man who more than makes up in personality, earnestness and good humor what he currently lacks in polish, to the owners and their daughter-hostess, everyone was as pleasant and attentive as could be, really making us feel welcome and our patronage truly appreciated.

Then the food started coming. The husband-chef is FCI-trained, and he obvioulsy paid attenton in class. A clams casino appetizer and dual spinach salads were out of this world. The clam sauce DEFINITELY necessitated more bread to sop up every last delicious drop. My wife chose the Scallops Brodo de Pesce from the main menu, while I opted for a pan seared bass special served over a bed of smashed garlic potatoes and cut vegetables drizzled in a light sauce that was truly phenomenal. Cheri and I always play "I win" when we dine out, the winner, of course, being the one who chose the superior entree. Last night, we had a unanimous...tie!

Concluded our meal with cappucinos, a "meh" piece of Oreo cheesecake and an awesome poached pear/ice cream medley (I won dessert!). While I doubt people come from far and wide for Ciao's desserts, they certainly do for everything else that precedes them. This lovely gem will henceforth be our Long Branch go-to.

NB: BYOB!

Ciao!

2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Because of super storm Sandy, our favorite place in the area is gone, so we tried this little place for the first time. We were greeted on arrival by the chef-owner's wife. Since our table wasn't quite ready, she chatted with us and made us feel so welcome. They took over this place in January, and are doing a great job. Service was exceptional, staff was knowledgeable and efficient. The food was fantastic! Every dish that came out of the kitchen looked like a cover picture from Gourmet Magazine. I started with the soup of the day, a delicious potato-leek cream dish, that tasted even better than it looked. Each of us at the table ordered a different entree, and of course we all sampled each other's food. We all agreed, each dish was excellent. We'll definatly be back again and again this season. If you go be sure to byo.

1  Thank LISAnACK