“Nice Place accommodating”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
teaneck
“Nice Place accommodating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is a nice place and the owner is very accommodating of any special needs. It is a reasonable distance to walk to the beach. My one complaint is that sometimes charm seems to outweigh function. We stayed 2 nights. The first night was very nice. The second night the thin walls became a problem for about an hour. I understand from a previous response as to why the sound problem exists but it can be a problem. The other problem we had was that the wifi did not reach our room (#6). In fairness to the owner, we never told her so perhaps that was something easily fixed, perhaps not.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Islandhoppinggal, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for spending your weekend with us. I do apologize if you were disturbed by your neighbors for a short time on Saturday. I know sometimes the joy of members a wedding party spills over to try to encompass everyone around them and that can be loud. I apologize if they woke you.
I wish you had mentioned the problem with the wifi; sometimes a simple reboot is all that is needed.
I am happy that you enjoyed your weekend and hope to have the opportunity of seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Highland Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My girlfriends and I stayed overnight. The rooms were spacious and clean and the entire ambiance and environmant invited relaxation. OUr breakfast had a lot of options and the coffe was strong! Hope to go return soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

my husand and i checked into cedars and beeches during the heat wave in july for a one night stay. our room wasnt ready as we had arrived early. we were informed we had been upgraded to a larger room. we spent the day on the beach and arrived back at the inn at 6pm. when we were shown to our room it was 100+ degrees and we couldnt open any windows as they were sealed shut. the person who escorted us told us the ac wasnt working at all and he would call the owner, esther. we showered told the young man on duty we would call from dinner as they were trying to get an a/c tech .we were not prepared to stay in a hot room in the middle of a heat wave without air...fresh or artificial. we called from dinner and were told the a/c was being worked on. at 9pm we were told it was starting to "cool down". at that point we decided we couldnt sleep in a hot room while waiting for it to cool down and advised the owner. we then had to scramble at 9 30 at night to find an available hotel room. i was shocked to find 4 weeks later my charge card had been billed for half the price of the room. This is very disappointing considering they should have checked the rooms prior to arrival to ensure they were in good working order. we booked the room in good faith and did not get what we booked and therefore feel the charge was morally wrong on behalf of the owner. BAD BUSINESS.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cigi52
Islandhoppinggal, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
You and your husband have been guests at the inn before and as such, I did upgrade you to a king room, which, as you state was not ready when you arrived early in the morning. In fact the room was still occupied and would be cleaned after check out. At that point the air conditioning was working perfectly and had been all through the 8 day heat wave.

We pay an HVAC company an annual fee, not only to keep our equipment running and clean, but more importantly, to respond in case of emergency.

When you arrived at 6 p.m. and the air was not working we immediately called the company and they advised me the tech was in the next town and would be over immediately thereafter. He arrived at 7 p.m. and within 45 minutes the air conditoner was working perfectly and the rooms quickly dropped in temperature. AT 9 p.m. when you called the temperature was already 74 degrees.

You pre-determined you were not staying even after using the room, showering etc.. Had this not been yet another time when you have cancelled late, I would not have charged you. but each other time you have done so, based on what I thought was a relationship, I waived the cancellation fee. One time it was raining and you cancelled that afternoon, saying you did not want to come in the rain.

Your room was ready and cool when you finished dinner. I am sorry you chose not to stay but considering that I was able to deliver a perfect room to you and that you used it earlier, a late cancellation fee was assessed.

By the way, our windows all open.
north bergn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We drove by the place and i thought the place looks a big shabby and should have follow my instinct. the common areas and rooms were clean. the linens were a bit old and dull. we did not feel welcomed or catered to at all. the breakfast was the same every day and felt rushed at the table by the wait staff. for the prce they charge for night...could have spent a night in NYC.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Islandhoppinggal, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Although you reserved the room almost 2 months in advance and certainly would have had the opportunity to view our website, our pictures as well as others posted by other guests multiple times over, it did seem that you and your group were uncomfortable in the environment of a grand Victorian mansion. as we are certainly not shabby though we are of the period and therefore by definition, old.
Most of our guests enjoy our high thread count sheets, which are both new yet soft. Some people do prefer the slicker feel of a percale and perhaps that is your preference.
Again, it is possible that the bed & breakfast experience is not for you. In fact our menu, for a bed and breakfast is extensive as most bed & breakfasts offer only 1 or 2 choices and that is usually served buffet style. We serve at individual tables and your choices included, eggs (any style), cereals, French toast, pancakes, Dutch baby pancakes, and more so to say the breakfast was the same each day, is inaccurate. In fact at your table alone, your group ordered at least 3 of the different specials each day and in fact we had a lengthy conversation about the eggs on a cloud and how it is made.
If you felt uncomfortable because my staff came out to interrupt your loud argument on the stairs, you have to understand that in a mansion like this where the grand staircase is in the center of the building, sounds carry and your argument was disturbing others. If you also felt uncomfortable that we found it necessary to ask you to return the television to its normal location after you moved it to top of the armoire where it could have fallen on our cleaning staff, you should understand that could be dangerous to them. I did ask you politely to return it to its normal location.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience here but based on your commentary, you may be more comfortable in accommodations less personal than a bed and breakfast.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I think that going into booking this property, especially during the peak summer months you need to manage your expectations. We found them to be very warm and welcoming and child-friendly. Yes, it cost $300+ a night, but that will be anywhere in a beach community during peak season. The rooms weren't luxurious (old box TV and could use a bit of updating) but the place was clean and well cared for -- and the common areas very pretty. I also liked that we were able to book just one night for a quick getaway and did not have to deal with a 2 or 3 night minimum.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank abc713
Passaic, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The inn itself is very nice, clean and well maintained. Staff was helpful and also very nice. My only complaint is that it while it offers kosher and cholov israel products if you ask in advance (which we did) I don't think getting string cheese and a yogurt is nice enough when everyone else who doesn't have a special diet got what looked like a very nice breakfast. We understand they can not cook for us but could have done more to make our food better if they are going to offer it as an option (which is exciting since most times we have to bring our own food with us on a vacation!). The basket of food seemed to have been sitting out, so the dairy was warm. The cereals didn't have a proper hechsher so no one keeping actual kashrus would have eaten them, which we didn't. There was no cholov Israel milk anyway even if we wanted to eat the cereals. Challah rolls and kedem tea biscuits were about the only highlight and that is a little sad. Would stay here again but bring my own food or go out for breakfast- but that was sort of the draw of staying in a B&B so it was disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Islandhoppinggal, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
I am sorry you did not find the Kosher offering to be sufficient. The breakfast offered is actually posted on our website. What we offer is a cold breakfast as we of course cannot cook for you. A package of 6 Challah rolls, a package of gourmet cookies as well as the Kedem tea cookies, oranges, bananas, individual cereals all marked, individual oatmeal packages, Special yogurt (others were served Chobani) and string cheese. Yes we do give you the string cheese because it is individually wrapped and packaged as is everything else in the basket so that you know it is untouched by others' hands.
I also must apologize that I had in fact bought you a quart of milk-Pride of the Farm-but I gather my server did not understand that that milk belonged to you and did not offer it.
We have tried to accommodate and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations
North Branford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

I wish the rooms had control of the heat, as it was very cold despite being the last weekend in May. Rooms were very nice, but sound carries throughout the Inn.
Breakfasts were good, but basics needed to be asked for (like jam for the toast).
Expensive for what you get.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank slapshot33
Islandhoppinggal, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you for your comments. Everything is a matter of choices. For example, when I renovated this building, turning it into a bed & breakfast from a rooming house, I chose natural gas forced air heating in order to be able to also provide air conditioning. The only way I could accomplish this without cutting into the walls and destroying the look of an 1890's Victorian mansion, was through centralizing the heating/air conditioning by floor. My choice was that I thought having air conditioning and heating units hanging inside/outside throughout the building would be ugly. The heat was on this weekend due to the damp, coldness of the rain. If it wasn't enough for you, I wish you had mentioned it.

You are right. Occasionally, people are either not cognizant of the noise a wooden staircase makes or not courteous in realizing that other people may not have their same time schedule. Again as a choice, the grandness and beauty of the highly polished wooden floors throughout the building are preferential and cleanlier, at least to me, than carpeting.

Finally, jams and jelly. We used to have individual small glass bottles of jams on each table. Maybe due to renewed interest in preserving the enviroment, we are no long able to purchase our jams that way. The only option for individual servings to be on your table is to use the small plastic containers of jelly often found in roadside diners. As a choice, I find these to be cheap looking. So we serve our jams and jellies in a silver service tray with 3 choices. We do not leave it on the table as it does take a good deal of space and frankly, not everyone uses it, although it is on the menu as a request item. With the basket of freshly baked muffins and the ability to order a breakfast from our many choices on the menu, I can only hope that one can overlook the lack of individual portions of jelly and enjoy the breakfast we offer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
3.0 of 5 bubbles 2,087 reviews
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Cedars & Beeches? Share your experiences!