“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Houston
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Yes the hotel is under going renovations, but nonetheless my stay was most disappointing. The place is second-rate and not at all, like I expect from Marriott. I suggest to stay away until renovations are complete.

Mostly the hotel is tired and needs major refreshening. In general, every place in the hotel was warm - my room AC was set on 60°F yet it was still uncomfortable. The fitness area, elevators and temporary breakfast areas were all unpleasantly warm. Room was poorly lit. Shower faucet would not shut fully off. No room cleaning service occurred. In-room refrigerator would not shut. Bed was lumpy and pillows were poor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WDWgoofy
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear WDWgoofy,

We are pleased to hear from you. Proving you with a pleasant stay is our highest priority. I appreciate you taking the time to write to let us know areas that need improvement. We do our very best to ensure that our renovations do not affect the guest experience. We clearly missed the mark; please forgive us. Your comments serve as encouragement for our associates and enhance future stays. We hope you will return to see the results of our improvements.

Bret Esbrandt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was amazing especially during renovation! There were some flaws that I had with my reservation, but I have to say I would stay here again. When I first made my reservation I wanted to call the hotel and find out what is happening with their renovation and what they were currently working on. I spoke with a gentlemen who barely spoke English good and couldn't understand my English, so after saying the same thing over and over he put me on hold. Then it was transferred without a notice of "One moment let me transfer you to ____ who can help you out with your questions better." Come to find out a very polite gentlemen answered and I asked "Are you the manager?" and he said "No, I am not I am the bartender." Now please tell me why in the world was I transferred to the Bartender!?!? He was very polite but this gentlemen that I figured out who it was, Jean, was not professional at all and should have done a better job as a Front Desk Agent. When I booked this and called back 2 more times before arrival I asked for an early check in and a high floor with a view of NYC. When I was 40 minutes away I called the hotel and asked to see if my room was ready to get "No it is not ready." She didn't ask my name, she didn't ask the room type I was in, and she didn't even check the computer because it was 2 seconds after I asked. So how did she know MY room wasn't ready?? When I arrived the same girl who was on the phone with me (wish I got her name but she was white with brownish hair and mid-height) was there at the desk and I asked again and she looked me up (this time) and I was checked in. Wow! She could have handled that phone call better with "I'm sorry I just checked your reservation and we do not have your room ready right now, but you are more than welcome to check when you arrive and we will see if we can get you in." During our stay it was amazing with the hotel room being clean, the breakfast being great, and the employees (especially Kadia, hope I spelled her name right)!! Kadia took the time to talk to us about how our concert went and how our stay was. She was the main reason the staff got a good review. Working in the hotel industry and being in the Marriott brand I know how they are expecting of hospitality and I have to say the one thing I would like to see changed during your renovation is how the staff comes in contact with the guests. When a guest walks in the door no matter if you are busy with a guest look up and greet them. Greeting a guest as a housekeeper when I walk by is a MUST because every employee should be greeting me when I walk by and that didn't happen with the Housekeepers on the 6th floor at the time. Overall yes this hotel is great! But, yes I do work for the Marriott Brand and I know how the expectations are and I have to say some of the staff members are not up to the expectation of Marriott and I hope they change when their mystery guests stay because I could have been one.

Room Tip: 6th Floor room with an even number has an excellent view of NYC :)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan S
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Jonathan S,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for acknowledging our modern & clean hotel despite your disappointment with our service. My sincere apologies you found our associates unfriendly and insincere. Our associates strive to provide sincere hospitality and we clearly missed the mark. Thank you for your honest feedback which we will use to foster improvement; for that reason, we hope to see you on a return trip.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Front desk were very polite and welcoming. Room was very clean, bed was very comfortable, fridge but no microwave. Room was a decent size, king bed, desk, lounge chair and flat screen TV. There is a pool and gym but we did not use either. Hotel not cheap but certainly worth the location and yes as previous reviewer said the air conditioner is a little noisy but not unbearable. You would have to drive if you needed something from the shops the closest is up the hill it is a 7/11 store. What made it worthwhile is that it is a minute to the bus stop into NYC, Catch the bus on the corner of Polito and Rutherford streets bus numbers 191 or 192 if going around 9am as we did it is still very busy and will take about 50 minutes there are no stops on the way and it takes you to Port Authority Bus Station which is on 8th and 42nd street. Coming back we left at 8:30pm from Port Authority Bus Station on bus number 199 and this leaves from gate 234. Very quick coming back 12 minutes, bus drops you off on the opposite corner and is the first stop. Return ticket $9.50 seniors $3.80 sorry cannot remember child cost. There is a timetable at the bus stop but ask at front desk as they have a printed copy. The bus I might add was very clean and air conditioned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dowse1
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review and recommendation! I’m thrilled to know you enjoyed our clean rooms, welcoming associates and nice location. We appreciate you choosing us and we hope to see you on a return visit.

Hooksett, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, had a reservation for a two night stay. Mid-day on our second day, the husband of the other couple became ill.
We called the hotel to say we were going to have to leave for home as soon as we could get back to the hotel from Manhattan in hopes that we would not be charged for the second night. The staff assured us we would not be charged for the second night even though we would not be able to make it back to the hotel until about 4. We were so grateful for the understanding of the Courtyard during an already very stressful time.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly remodeled room located away from the elevator and ice machine
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Donna K,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. While I'm sorry to hear your stay was interrupted by illness; I’m glad to hear our associates were accommodating during a stressful time. I look forward to sharing your kind comments.

Bret Esbrandt, GM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

under construction NEVER any good for travelers. Airconditioning is VERY noisy had to turn it off to talk on the phone how patetic is that.
Receptacles over the desk are DEAD. Zippo power. Nice when you plug something in assuming its charging.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
I'm so sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you had with the loud air-conditioning and power outlets and would certainly never want to leave you with a poor impression. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay and service you’ve come to expect from us. We value your business and your loyalty to our brand. Please know that your comments are being addressed with our team and additional steps will be taken to ensure we're doing all we can to serve our guests. We hope you'll consider staying with us again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

First I want to commended all the staff at the front desk and Housekeeper (from June 29th through July 2nd). They are very patient with the complaints of the customers. They are VERY friendly and attentive.

Now, I MUST say we had dreadful nights without air conditioning. I do not do well in the heat, I break out and at times I panic. The maintenance rep came to the room immediately, so thank you for your quick response, BUT the solution was horrible. The system wasn't working and his solution was to turn it off for 30-60 min rather than opening the box and taking ALL THE ICE OUT. It was ridiculous! I came here because it's close to the hospital where my mom was having surgery, so to come back to flaming room was the worse. Thank GOD MY husband fixed the problem.

They are doing maintenance and I hope they make their rounds to the bathrooms and bedrooms (especially the bathroom-no ventilation) and all the air conditioning systems.

Please get rid of those bloody, nasty mattresses
(rm 615).

The hotel overall was cleaned, EXCEPT a bloody stain on the sofa bed. Not a little stain-a huge round one. Being Gold members (meaning we stay only with the Marriott when we travel) we expected a lot more from The Marriott chain. They always had fresh naturally flavored water (delish) and a nice and hot coffee stand and sometimes they had snacks like cookies or onion rings which also was delish! So thank you for that.

According to my 3 kids the pool was awesome :-) it was nice and clean.

When we checked out, the representative at the front
desk was pleasant and was extremely helpful in OUR situation. So thank you Ms. Mek!

-Nela

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Nela B
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I apologize that the temperature and cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service. I will be sure to discuss this review with our maintenance staff to heighten our awareness of such issues. I appreciate you recognizing our strengths while providing us some areas of opportunity for improvement. We value you as our guest, and hope to have you stay with us again.

Warm Regards,
Long Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

First I want to compliment the staff. They were courtious and friendly. The hotel lobby and restaurant are in the middle of renovations, not that it disturbed out stay. We arrived and were checked in promptly. Decided to go to the bar for a drink and appetizer. The bar/restaurant is located in a conference room during renovation, however you can go out into a little courtyard if you can get the sliding door to open. The bartender opened and closed it for us the entire time we were there and he assisted me with computer issues. We ordered the spinach artichoke dip, which was absolutely gross and we sent it back. They had complimentary coffee, tea, water, fried mushrooms and cookies in the lobby.

Walk across the street to the Renaissance Hotel and eat at CK Steakhouse its excelllent.

The rooms are old. The mattress was thin and lumpy. Burn marks all over the rug. The toilet tank was under the vanity, which I thought was odd. If you knocked anything off the vanity it would end up in the toilet. Furniture was beat up and the sleeper/sofa was half hanging open and wouldn't close. The air conditioner was noisy, everytime it went on it would wake me up, it also drowned out the sound on the TV. Walls are thin, I woke up to the guest in the next rooms alarm.

This is the first time I ever gave a Courtyard a Poor review.

Room Tip: Don't stay here until the guest rooms are renovated.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your stay with us. It’s great to receive your kind comments about our friendly staff. I appreciate you recognizing our strengths while providing us some areas of opportunity for improvement. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the Meadowlands area.

Bret Esbrandt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel
Hilton Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands

Been to Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands? Share your experiences!