“Best Fish & Chips in NJ”
Review of Thistle Restaurant

Thistle Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 77 Restaurants in Lyndhurst
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

I don't go often, but when I want a really good fish & chips fix, this is where I head. I have never had a bad meal here, the fish is fresh and thick and cooked perfectly. Even the pot of tea I got afterwards was spot-on.

1  Thank Mark B

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

The menu is always great, simple and executed to perfection. The owners and staff don't just treat you like customers - they treat you like family.

Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

Whenever my family returned to NJ for a family visit, we'd make a trek to the Thistle when it was in Kearny. My uncles and aunts and grandparents ate here. My pops would meet old Kearny buddies here. I remember, as a boy looking up at these men as if they were royalty. Now we make the trip to Lyndhurst to the Thistle. Some great fish & chips. My pops and his brother have now passed on and we continue to return to the Thistle to honor them, but also for excellent food. This summer we will return to Jersey from Michigan once again and the Thistle is already on the bucket list.

1  Thank 3rdCoastHighlander
Reviewed 30 January 2016

Many people still observe Friday as fish day. For a really good fish dinner, Thistle Restaurant is a great place. You can get both take out and dine in service. It is also a BYOB restaurant. The food is exceptional and the serve staff is attentive and personable. The dining room is small accommodating about 40. The food is prepared for you so it takes a little longer to get served, but it is well worth it. Fish & chips are their premier dish, but the specials are great. Soups (clam chowder, French onion), appetizers like fried clam strips and desserts fill the bill for great food.

3  Thank STANLEY W
Reviewed 17 August 2015

If you like Scottish style fish & Chips then this is for you! Formerly located in Kearny, NJ they relocated a few years ago to this new spot. It's a bring your own restaurant and besides the fish & chips they have an extensive sea food menu and great chowder, both New England & Manhattan!

1  Thank fheagle