“The Stay at the Not-So-Quality Inn”

Quality Inn Meadowlands
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Hamilton, Canada
“The Stay at the Not-So-Quality Inn”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Let's just start off with the name "Quality Inn" ? I question it.. I think they should change it to "Not so Quality Inn" The name of the hotel itself is just false advertising. When we first got to the hotel, we had to wait 30 minutes to be checked in. Even though we've had the reservations booked for a while. This was just the beginning.

When getting the keys to our room, the hallway was very hot. Going into the room was even worse!! The AC didn't even work! It lasted a whole 5 minutes before shutting itself off continuously. We called the front desk to ask someone to see what was wrong, so a maintenance worker came in to fix it. During the night the room was still very hot. When waking up we realized the AC had turned off! We called the front desk that evening and the incompetent front desk worker didn't know how to resolve the issue so he had to call the manager at her home. When speaking to the manager she blatantly called one of my family members rude for being a bit aggravated at the poor service quality.

After speaking to the manager they said we could switch rooms. But they would not compensate with us because we didn't report the issue.... we had called the front desk about the issue but apparently the reporting of the issue is some high tech procedure that they didn't notify us of.
The new rooms were not much better. I could not sleep all night because the bed was very uncomfortable. At least the AC worked. My other family friend also complained about there being ants in the room. Yuck!! The "Free Breakfast" if you could even call it that , consisted of some bread, some cereal and a wide selection of 4 different kind of drinks! I can see why it's free.

To add up on the staff problem, we also had an issue before the complaint about the AC. We had asked the front desk woman for directions to a Restaurant she claimed to have gone to frequently and highly praised it. When we followed the directions, it led us to a completely other location! The staff in general was just not looking for your best interest and didn't seem to care if you had a nice stay as long as we put money into their pockets. The gym wasn't available during our stay, and the pool isn't very sanitary. Seeing as how the water was green.

Honestly you get what you pay for (or even less) I had a good trip but again the Hotel could have been way better. The prices were mediocre at best and in the future to myself and others who have stayed here, I suggest the Courtyard? Across the street. The price is a bit more but why not pay more for a better nice stay and improve your stay in the city. Overall besides the service, the technical problems, the hotel condition, it was mediocre.

Signed - Angry Visitor(s)

Room Tip: Just don't go here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank AngryUser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed here with our 3 and 5 year old kids here about 2 weeks ago. It was only for one night but let me tell you it was the worst experience ever. We have stayed in hotels all over the US and Europe but this one takes the cake. The room could have been cleaner, very run down.
We got to the room about 11pm and just wanted to hit the bed. As soon as we fell asleep we gotton woken up by some heavy banging noise which startled me half to death. It was like metal pipes banging over my head, it was coming from the air condition exhaust. I tried to sleep through it but every 30 minutes it kept repeating. Finally decided to call front dest and of couse no answer. So my husband went down to the front dest at 2am and waited down there for 10 min. and of course no one was at the front desk. I tried calling the front dest every 10 min for one hour and finally got someone to answer. Long story short we had to change rooms at 3:30am in the middle of the night with the two little kids and woke up with a headache and not very well rested. When we tried to tell the front desk in the morning, there was no apology. Later on when I tried to reach the manager Denise Murray several times I kept being put through her voicemail.
On my 4th call I finally decided to leave a message for the manager to call me back, which I still have not heard back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank betsy s

Travellers are raving about these Lyndhurst hotels

Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Nothing to say except it is old and needs some cleaning. The pool and the A/C were welcome on that hot day. Price is good if you use the coupons you will find at the various welcome centers - reduction of $30 when we went there in June. Good thing; the price doesn't rise for the 4th of July.

Breakfast...bof...nothing fantastik but a reasonable choice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank criquet
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Interesting Place and I love to go when the Curvesbbw dances are going on.. Love the pool and the worlds largest pickle bar at the Hotel Restaurant called Harold's!! The place can get confusing but you just have to remember your way around and look for landmarks around the place!! Also like that you can see your car from the window!

Room Tip: Room 112 has the fridge and microwave!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DD1776
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I will start with the only good things we can say about the place, the restaurant/deli is awesome the food at dinner was great and the portions were huge and the overall quality of the food was very good. The pool was good though the turf around it really needs some major cleaning now onto all the bad. When I arrived we found out that the hotel is not truly handicap friendly when entering the entrances double doors the first door opens automatically but the second door does not. We arrived on June 29th at 2:35 for my 2pm check in I was told the room would not be ready for 15min I then began to question why since I had called in at 10am hoping to check in early and if my requirements were met in other room (needed a fridge) and I was informed the party staying the night before was staying over and before she could truly make full explanation a women from back room SCREAMED out quite rudely that yes all was the same and that the room would be ready soon. I then went out to get my husband from car, as we waited in lobby he asked that since our room was not ready could we have a little later check out the next day the same women from back came storming out and basically said that we had only been waiting 8 min (she did not seem to get it that first the customer is always right and two the room was to ready at for check in at 2pm weather we were there or not) after her tirade we basically sat and waited for our room after another while we were told our room was ready and given some very ambiguous directions go down this hall follow wall around keep pool to your right..... well after going right for two hallways and only seeing even numbers we then went left for two halls also only even numbers so we had to call front desk and they had to come FIND us and take us to room we finally got into the room about 3:15 after hobbling around (OH YEAH ME AND THE HUSBAND ARE BOTH HANDICAPPED AND WERE USING CANES)... BED was horrible it was very hard / AC would not go below 66 even though it was to 61 and it took until 2am to get to 66 (I get hot flashes so 66 was not cool enough at all) / BATHROOM just way too small, toilet ran all night had to hold down handle for very long time to get it to go down and the toilet seat was a joke all chipped and flaked and just plain nasty / Continental breakfast what a joke all the pastries and bagels croissants muffins tasted of the fridge and some were stale coffee was bitter. Our final annoyance came as we were leaving (oh yeah we were out of there by 8:30 did not even want to stay till 12) we noticed that there was actually a door not 20 feet from our room to which the front desk should have directed us especially after seeing us both with canes on final not signage needs improvement so does the directions because had we been told to follow even numbers around and then we would see odd numbers it would have helped and the when leaving we say signs with room numbers but they are way too high and we were not informed to look out for them… will be look for a new place…

Room Tip: Not for the handicapped
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marilyn C
Niedernhausen, Germany
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel, because it was very good located for visiting new york. hotels in this price range in new york had no free parking and always a shared bath. I wanted to avoid that.

the bus stop is just as few feet from the hotel. it took us about 20 minutes to go there. One way was 4,25 Dollars.
parking in front of the hotel was free, so it was quite a good deal for us.
the last bus back was about 11 p.m.

the hotel itself was ok. not spectacular, but absolutely ok . staff was nice, our room clean.
I could sleep very well there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank apiaWiesbaden
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The hotel reminds me of the movie, "Joy Ride". The hotel reminded me of the hotel in the movie. It was scary. But I eventually got used to it. The bed was somewhat hard. But it was ok. I only could stay one night. I couldn't stay longer than one day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford
Hilton Meadowlands
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands

Been to Quality Inn Meadowlands? Share your experiences!