“Good bistro food”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Waverly Place
Transit: Madison Train Station is only one block away.
Description: A French Bistro located in downtown Madison
New Jersey
“Good bistro food”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The bistro experience is what you get, good food prepared with fresh ingredients served with bistro service. Attentive, relaxed but not polished. If the duck foie gras is on the menu, order it. It was prepared great although the accompanying potato salad could have used less horseradish. Daily specials are a great way to enjoy a favorite such as liver and onions on a Sunday. BYOB allows one to pair their wines with potential menu items researched with on-line menu.

• Visited May 2014

Denville, New Jersey
“Very good but a bit overpriced French bistro”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a casual BYOB bistro with a somewhat short yet diverse menu. We found the wait staff to be very knowledgeable about the dishes. The décor is simple and the tables a bit crowded, but generally that's what a bistro is.
My group tried several of the main courses, and the dishes were all well prepared and nicely plated. While some people were more enthusiastic about their meal than others, nobody was disappointed. The food overall was very good to excellent. Pair this with your own wine and finish it with a cup of coffee, and you have a nice dinner.
Unfortunately if you start adding any more items to the meal, the value for what you're getting starts to drop. I found all the starters and desserts to be overpriced for what they were. The main courses are also priced a bit high, but I didn't feel taken advantage of the same way I did for the starters and desserts. $9 for a small cup of chocolate mousse or cup of French onion soup? $12 for 3 small tartines? Even the Grand Cafe costs less than that. The quality was fine, but adding these to the meal really drove up the cost, and left me feeling like I didn't get such a good value for my money. If you visit, you may want to consider that depending on your budget.

• Visited July 2014
Madison, New Jersey
“Top restaurant in town”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Although the more ambitious sister restaurant Resto has closed (RIP), the bistro carries on, offering an excellent bistro experience in an area that desperately needed one--far too many Italian and Asian joints, not enough French and New American. BYO keeps the tab down. Menu has some standbys, other items rotate in seasonally. I've never been disappointed by any of the specials. Try the duck if it's on the menu, and the foie gras is excellent also. Desserts are decent, if not quite as good as the entrees. Service is good, if often a bit slow when the room is full. This is what happens when you have (a) an incredibly tiny kitchen and (b) only one waitress. Finally, I recommend the Sunday brunch, something I rarely do.

• Visited April 2014
Randolph, New Jersey
“Great Food, service & atmosphere lacking”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

It was our first time dining here and only because we had received a $25 gift card. The food was wonderful. The beet salad was delicious. My husband had the steak frites. It was authentic and perfectly cooked. I had the salmon which was equally well prepared and just the perfect portion. However, we were quite disappointed with the atmosphere or lack thereof. The tables are quite cramped making it loud, once the restaurant gets full. It seems they have two seatings: 6:00ish and then, 7:30. We had a 7:30 reservation. Because of how small the restaurant is and the wood floors and tables, the noise carries. By 8:00, all the tables were full except one and it was quite noisy. There isn't décor to speak of except for some paintings hanging on the wall; all of which were for sale. I even commented if all the painting were sold, there would absolutely no decoration. While all the food was delicious, we were disappointed with the service. Although we weren't rushed, we also didn't feel the staff was very attentive. There were 3 servers including the hostess. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who was doing what. As a result, service was quite slow. No one came to ask how our meal was or if we needed anything. No one offered fresh ground pepper, especially since there wasn't any salt or pepper on the table. We would go back for the food, but this is not at all a special occasion kind of place.

• Visited April 2014
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“Great surprise in Madison, NJ”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

When my wife Googled gluten free and Madison, she found Rob's Bistro. Best fois gras (in orange/squash puree), excellent scallops and tender steak and frites. We will return.

• Visited March 2014