“Completely satisfied.”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Upstate New York
“Completely satisfied.”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Used this hotel for a short one night stayover between a one-day excursion into the City followed by a day visiting friends in New Jersey. The hotel completely satisfied our needs. Easy access to all relevant north Jersey highways. The hotel is brand new and very comfortable. Was given a very large suite which was much more space and furniture than needed. The staff was extraordinarily friendly at check-in qand check-out. My only complaint was that the breakfast fruit selection and coffee were lousy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Nishant_Patel, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to share your experience here with our Trip Advisor friends. Thank you for pointing out the breakfast items that were not to your satisfaction. We are very sorry for this and have now made sure that our breakfast will meet your expectations when we get to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

this is a very cool hotel, very tastefully decorated.all the colors were coordinated..actually very different from any hotel I have ever stayed in.
our checkin started out with a problem; we booked on priceline and were put into a king size room. the girl at the front desk kept telling me how she can NOT switch the room to a double bed because the rate will change and I will have to pay the difference. I looked at her in disbelief and was actually about to lose my cool but didnt. i asked for a manager and she said there wasnt any available so I told her" call one" or call priceline to straighten out this issue. I usually book hotels through priceline and never did I have a problem with the room type. anyway she finally got a manager on the phone and the issue was sorted out in less than 2 minutes. I asked her why she was so flustered,confused and overwhelmed and she told me she was still kind of new at the hotel.
Room: bed was kinda soft at the corners when you sit down it felt like a hammock. the linen was clean and many pillows were on each bed. many lamps around the room,on walls, desk, nighttable and even a corner lamp Tv was nice and big...flat screen but every few minutes it blurred out a bit (prob connection issues) the room was clean and decor was very nice and matching. big plus: a refrigerator and microwave
there is also a closet with a half door with hinges which made loud noise every time it was opened but it made the room look homely.
Bathroom: was very clean, loads of towels, nice vanity and sink with pantene shampoo and conditioner, soap (which i actually liked a lot because it wasnt perfumey like in most hotels) the only weird thing was that the coffeemaker was in the bathroom (i find it quite odd) bathtub was kinda small but the shower head was awesome (i didnt want to get out...LOL) massaged every muscle and those I never even knew existed. no mold or mildew,frayed towels or hair...it was great!!
Lobby: lots of couches in all different shapes with assorted pillows, nice fireplace with some decorative pieces
Business Center: frosted divider for privacy and great big computers with large screens and a built in webcam
Pool: A little disappointing..looked very old and very shallow only 4' 2 at deepest. also has some prickly stuff at the bottom of the pool in certain areas (seems like a no slip feature) the temperature in the pool room was 100 degrees because there is a whirlpool as well (did not use it) 2 employees actually came to check out the situation and opened all doors so it should cool off a bit and it helped. I asked about music and the guy (from housekeeping) said he would check with the front desk, he came back and said they didnt have any sound system in the pool area but offered to bring a CD player if we had CDs (which was a nice gesture)
Fitness Center: Did not use it but they do have very state of the art treadmills with Tvs, not too much equipment but enough for a short stay.
Breakfast: bread,frozen bagels,english muffins, apple coffee muffins (which were insanely delicious) yogurt,single serve cartons of milk, del monte grapefruit and pear with acai berry fruit cups, jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches (hhhhmmmmm) orange juice, apple juice, 4 different cereals, butter, margarine,cream cheese, green apples (first time I ever saw it being offered at a hotel) 4 freckled bananas, waffle maker and 1 1/2 hard boiled eggs.... LOLOLOL (this was on saturday) when I asked the woman if there were any eggs she said in a kind of rude voice: NO!!
at 8 AM how is it possible there arent any eggs left when breakfast starts at 7-7.30? the hotel was far from even halfway occupied and there was maybe 2 people in the dining area. it also took her a long time to replenish the cereal and bread..for about 1/2 hour there wasnt a single bagel to be found. Day 2 was even better...no bananas and not even 1/2 an egg also around 8.30 AM.
the staff I interacted with was very helpful (although I tried not to bother them too much) there was just one annoying young guy ( dark complexion) everytime he saw anyone he would ask if they are ok...LOL the lovely blonde at the front desk (that I had the issue with upon check in ) even told him to leave her alone STRANGE!!!
coffee station: looked like it had been sitting for hours, I wanted hot chocolate and the hot water came out light brown (to match...LOL)

I like to give detailed reviews at least you know what to expect when you get there!!!
the mason jar restaurant has live bands on friday,saturday and sunday so expect to hear loud music which ends around 1 AM no matter what part of the hotel you will be staying in

my opinion of this hotel: I would prob return if priceline sends me there...but it needs alot of help! the hotel is only open a few months and the employees were NOT trained or NOT trained well and honestly I do not think it is there fault, but I believe not everything needs to be spoon fed you need to use your street smarts at times and thats what this hotel is missing....they got all the ingredients but the spices are missing!!

I have never stayed at a Marriott in the past and this stay did not make my opinion very positive....as you expect a Marriott to be a top hotel...and this one doesnt live up to ones expectations although I have no qualms about returning...i am just not going to tell my friends and relatives to run and book a room!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2012

we booked fairfield mahwah based on the good reviews but it was such a mistake. when we made the online reservation, we asked for a quiet room as both my husband and i are light sleepers. during check in, the guy at front desk confirmed that he was giving us a quiet room. when we return to the room after dinner at around 10pm, we noticed that loud music was coming from the restaurant beside the hotel. our room was situated directly facing the restaurant. loud music was still on pass 11:30pm. i called the front desk to ask if they know what time the music would stop. i was told music probably wouldn't stop until pass 1am and there was nothing he can do about it. i told him that i requested for a quiet room. again he said there was nothing he can do about it as no other room was available. that was a lie because we tried to book a room online (just to see if the front desk was lying to us) and it was showing rooms were available.

in addition to the poor customer service, the room was dirty. there were A LOT of hair on the bed sheets and towels.

the bad experience at this hotel has changed my view on all marriott hotels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jcyh13
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I was expecting to find this hotel near all the other chain hotels along the major highway, but, even though it was close to the interchange, it was tucked away, almost in the woods, in a very inviting location. A great surprise.

The hotel is brand new and feels like it. Its decor is warm, not overboard on edginess. The rooms were similarly up to date and also cozy. The business center is much more pleasant than others I've seen, integrated with the lobby.

We had a great dinner at the Mason Jar, right across the parking lot.

We'll definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper and staying on a weekend, ask for a room on the opposite side of the h...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2012

As a Platinum Marriott Rewards member who averages about 100 nights/year at Marriott properties, I've seen the entire spectrum. The reason I'm so loyal to Marriott is because, with few exceptions, you always know what you're going to get. A clean room, comfortable bed, friendly service and a superior rewards program. This property did not disappoint and my experience typifies the quality of accommodations and service to which I have grown accustomed. Specifically, this is a brand new property (~4 months old) and it shows. To say it was clean is an understatement - it was impeccably clean. The common areas are bright and consistent with the new Fairfield Inn design. I was upgraded to a suite which was a nice bonus. The bed was the new type of Marriott bed with a wonderful foam top. The bathroom was spacious and, again, perfectly clean. There was nice tiling all over the bathroom and the counter top was granite. Although I only stayed one night, I will most certainly look to this property when traveling to that area again in the future.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fantastic service of Viviana, who is the Assistant Manager of the property. She was there upon check-in and ensured we felt welcomed and appreciated. I ran into her a few hours after check-in and she remembered me by name, asked how my room was, and inquired if there was anything she could do to be of service. This morning, upon breakfast and check-out, she was there again and was nothing but helpful and friendly. It is experiences like those with Viviana that again reassert my loyalty to the Marriott brand. I'm appreciative of her efforts and I hope she is recognized appropriately.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peak78
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed here for business. Hotel is very new and in great shape. Room and bed were comfortable, refrigerator and microwave in room, good shower. Good dining option within walking distance (literally across parking lot). Very good value, save the $10-$20 per night versus the nearby Courtyard. Only downside was Marketplace food options were limited (almost empty cooler) and front desk staff was a little unorganized and disinterested. Minor detail though, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank robkari
Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

New and nice. Hotel rooms are clean and I love the bed. Staff is friendly. I enjoy the free breakfast, waffles, cereals and microwaveable breakfast sandwiches.
The area seems secluded but is right off the highway.
Restaurants right down road and a food store.

Stayed June 2011