“A reason to go to Mahwah”

Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is one of the nicest Hampton Inns we have ever stayed at. The front desk was warm, welcoming and helpful. We had a great room with a fridge and microwave and a swiveling TV to be able to watch in the sitting area or the bed. I only wish they had movies for rent on the TV, and I would have moved in! The room was clean, bright and very well appointed. Breakfast the next morning was awesome as usual with something for everyone: cold cereal, hot waffles, eggs, sausage, yogurt, etc. Overall, a great value and a great experience!

Room Tip: If you are a Hilton Honors member, ask for a sitting room -- it makes the room so much more inviting...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights while attending a family event. At check in, our room had cans of paint in it and the front desk immediately put us in a larger room with their apologies. That actually worked out well as we now had a sitting area. The room was clean for the most part and very comfortable and had a fridge and microwave. The hotel was pretty empty and we were one of the only ones at breakfast.

We had a near-perfect stay until we went to take the kids swimming one evening around 5 pm. We get to the pool and it's packed - nowhere to sit and a bunch of people in the pool. We were a little surprised since the hotel was pretty empty but thought nothing more of it. It turns out, the hotel rents out the pool every weekday from 4-8 pm to a swimming school. Once my kids were in the pool, the instructor proceeded to divide the already pretty small pool in half. She then actually asked me if I could put my kids on the other side of the divider - away from the steps leading into the pool. I told her my kids need access to the stairs and she pointed to a portable ladder she had stuck in the pool as what they can use. My kids are 6 and 3 and there was no way my 3 year old would be able to use that on her own. As I continued to look at her dumbfounded she had the bright idea to move the classes to the other side of the pool instead. We did have to wait 10 minutes or so until one session was over to actually get chairs since all the parents waiting for their kids took the chairs. Plus, they kept coming and going through the door that leads directly outside (yes, the one that specifically states no re-entry) and every time the door opened, there was an icy blast. Not comfortable when you're wet and in a bathing suit. And the kids all used the showers and bathroom to change after their session. There was no mention of this on the hotel site and I did mention that to the staff - they agreed it should be noted. I can honestly say I wouldn't have stayed here if that tidbit was posted. When travelling with our kids there are two main things we need in a hotel that makes life easier: breakfast and a pool. To the credit of the hotel staff, they definitely made right of the situation. At the end of the day, it's not the fault of the swimming school or the staff for what happened, rather the fault of management/ownership.

No hotel is perfect and I think what separates the good (or bad) hotels from the great ones is what is done once a mistake or issue comes up. In this case, this was clearly a great hotel. Rachel was very nice, as was the first morning breakfast guy. But there was one particular staff member - Anthony - who was truly amazing. From printing out pictures for my kids to color to offering to personally pick up anything they would want for breakfast on his way in (he did breakfast the second morning), he was always happy and nice and they clearly had fun and enjoyed working there and it was for that alone that I gave five stars.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank charliedds
Jessica T, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear charliedds,

Thank you for taking time to highlight the wonderful service you received at our hotel. It is so nice to hear that the front desk staff was able to accommodate your needs especially for your family. I am sorry that you had a negative experience with the pool facilities. We have a unique opportunity to provide a space for a growing local business. It gives us great pleasure that we are able to be a part of their success and give back to the local community. It is never our intention for any of our guests to feel alienated by this and I apologize if that is how you felt. I am glad that you left praising our hotel and particular staff members and hope that we have the opportunity to host you again. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff members you mentioned as they will be happy to hear their efforts do not go unnoticed. Thank you again!

Jessica Thompson

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Overall a fine stay,Clean comfortable room for the money. No refrigerator in the room, disappointing!! Swim lessons were being giving at the pool, little room for hotel guests. The free breakfast was not very good and there was no help in the area, but you get what you pay or and it was free.

1  Thank Douglas J
Celeste J, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Douglas J,

Thank you for taking the time to express your experience at our property. I have taken time to note your concerns and will address them to see about some upgraded changes we may be able to do with the property in the near future. This great feedback is critical for our continued success.
If there is anything else you would like to share with us, please let us know.
Thank you kindly for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, NJ.

Celeste Johnson

Reviewed 18 February 2014

was a good place to stop on the FLA trip as traffic was terrible. rate was good, room was in great shape. Breakfast was good. Trip was in the snow storms of February. They recommended a good restaurant for supper. Billing was correct. Parking lot a disaster from all the snow storms

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Ron J,

We are SO thankful for making us one of your stops on your trip this time around. I apologize for our parking lot not being as clear as possible. It has been a crazy winter and we will be sure to make sure we are more on top of our game so that we may be able to help our guests be even more comfortable.

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah.

Celeste Johnson

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed for one night in mid February. Staff was friendly and helpful. Weather was cold and snowy but room was very warm and confortable like two years earlier.

Noise from highway was little bit disturbing, but we still got good rest after 8 hours flight. Rooms was very clean which creates very good image of Hampton Inn Mahwah.

We were the first at the breakfast and selection was very good and nicely presented. Can really recommend this hotel for over night stay on your way.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Jessica T, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Mikko T,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the hotel and our staff. I am so glad to see we were able to provide you with great service and a comfortable stay. I apologize that the highway noise disturbed you, however I am so glad to see that you were still able to receive a good nights rest! We hope to see you again the next time you travel to Mahwah, NJ.

Jessica Thompson

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Hotel Staff was over the top friendly, and helpful. The night of my stay we had about 10-12 inches of snow and the plows were behind. The hotel staff was shoveling out guests parking spots and walk ways to attempt to make it easy for us to go on our way. I was very impressed.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Big desk in the room is very nice for working on. CFL bulbs in bed and desk lamps are exposed to view due to small shades and are glaring, though. Different lamps or softer bulbs needed. Television had a very fuzzy picture, definitely not HD. Clean rooms and attentive staff, definitely nice for the area. Notice that the coverlet is washed for each guest is nice...most hotels do no do that.