“Marriott Price for Super-8 Amenities”
Review of Courtyard Mahwah

Courtyard Mahwah
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel because I went to high school in this town. But after I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott, I was reminded of why I left Mahwah. Aside from your rooms (which are very nice), do not expect anything here to work or the staff to care. It starts with the lobby coffee, which is somehow colder than room temperature and probably was brewed that morning and forgotten. A staff person actually watched me try to drink that junk. When I tried to use the pool area on a Friday afternoon, a staff member noticed what I was about to do and immediately taped it up for "maintenance." Maintenance? On the busiest day of Marriott's week? The front desk was no help, understand that these are the same people who brew the 'welcome' coffee. There's fewer staff on Friday night and guests using the hotel services just get in the way of a smooth shift. Maybe Marriott Courtyard's amenities are open on weekdays when nobody is here, but forget about the weekend. The closest you'll get is the brochure. Next time I won't chance getting suckered again. The Sheraton is across the street, has the same amenities, and it's the same price as this mirage.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 November 2010

I usually stay at a nearby main-hotel chain location. I chose this one as the other had a report for critters recently (only one) and I wanted to give them time to correct the issue (I know they will, and I'll go back there).

The rooms were adequate, average cost for the area (I paid $118) and OK accommodations. I feel like Courtyard locations are nearing an old-age status, and they have not always been well-maintained. This one was just the norm.....again, adequately clean, but nothing I would feel compelled to return to.

The WiFi seemed to have extremely low strength, which was frustrating, especially since I was not far from the lobby.

Staff was all very nice, no issues there.

I think Courtyards need to start offering the breakfast for free, to be competitive, or at least continental style for free & optional extras for a menu price. The eating area did not seem as clean as I would like to see, tables looked like they needed to be wiped, and corners of chairs had me cringing (literally sitting on the edge of my seat to stay away from the nasties in the crevices).

All in all, just OK.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Awesome staff, clean place, nice to just get away. We were going to a wedding nearby

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I stayed there on business and asked for a quiet room. I was all alone in the worst part of the property right next to the highway. It is very noisy with trucks rolling down the highway all night. Not a great sleep. Staff was ok. Breakfast was average but eggs were cold. No place nearby to have a meal. It is a truck stop. I would not recommend it for solo females. Too isolated.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We left Montreal late in the morning in direction of Cape May (NJ), a 10 hrs roadtrip. We decided to stop in Mahwah for 1 night (friday), special price was 106$ all tax in including breakfast. I was hesitating between the Courtyard and the Sheraton but I can say i got my money's worth. We had a King bed in our room and a crib for the baby. Staff was nice and helpful. Breakfast was fair, kids really enjoyed the waffles !

Cons: we we're waken-up around 2 am when some people just check-in the hotel, they we're VERY loud. I think that the hotel manager should appoint someone for the very late check-in and escort them to their room to make sure they do not shout in the hallways. Also, wanted to go back there on the following monday night, same room was now priced @ 199$ excl. breakfast, hotel was empty ! Did not want to negotiate the price, thus we ended up at another Courtyard close to Newburgh, the we're more flexible.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We were in the area for the Barclays golf tournament and needed a place for the night. This is an older hotel that sits on the southbound lanes of Route 17. The grounds are nicely landscaped for a good first impression when pulling in. I used Priceline and got this room for $60. I couldn't believe regular rates were going for $199. That seemed steep for this hotel. Check-in was a breeze and the staff was helpful.

There was nothing fancy about our king room, but it was clean for the most part. There was a round faded spot on the bedspread, but that seemed to be from wear and tear. The room had an older TV, a closet that looks more like a giant wooden chest, refrigerator and cable internet. There is no wireless in the room, only in the lobby. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. We found the bath towels were a little thin. Sleeping at night was OK, with minimal noise. Only thing we heard were a couple of doors slamming. The comfort of the bed was average.

Breakfast is served in this hotel, but it's a $10.95 buffet. However, there is a complimentary coffee bar. The pool area looked nice, as did the outdoor seating area. The exercise room had several cardio machines and a universal weight station. My one dining tip for the area is Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey. We were told about their famous thin crust pizza and had a fun evening there.

Overall, the Mahwah Courtyard was just fine for a night. As stated earlier, I can't imagine paying $199. I would have no problem staying here again if I went through Priceline.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank relayer
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The hotel is plain, has a pool and contintal breakfast...if you don't bring your confirmation expect to pay!!!! I knew I had it included, but they said I didn't...felt embarrased. When I got my confirmation they had a different tune. Aside from this, the hotel is pretty good.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Courtyard Mahwah? Share your experiences!