“Seriously unclean....pending renovations are lobby only & rooms need it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Mahwah

Courtyard Mahwah
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
NC
“Seriously unclean....pending renovations are lobby only & rooms need it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

This Courtyard is just unfortunately in very sad condition. They are renovating the lobby, which is nice and all, but I don't have to SLEEP in the lobby......! The rooms are in extremely poor condition, with years of un-cleaned grime, dust, and cobwebs in all kinds of places.

My room had a plethera of grime-soaked cobwebs near the window, I was hesitant to pull the drapes for fear it might rain the mighty things down upon me. As I check dilligently for "critters" (thankfully no sign) I was graced with a disgusting display of grime, dust, and all kinds of YUK behing the nightstand and near the headboard (incuding a pair of eyeglasses with a good 1yr+ of dust coating them). Folks - this is just a mere 2-ish feet from where my head lays at night, I almost checked out but arrived at almost 2am for an 8am meeting.....I looked past the dissapointments to save myself sleep deprivation.

The walls have 'sprays' of all mannor of grooming products in the bathroom area, and I just did not want to look near the toilet-wall area. For the mere 5-ish hours I was here I touched as little as possible and tried to just get my much needed sleep! I will not return to this property until a FULL HOTEL make-over is completed. I just cannot bear paying the $120+ rate for a less-than-1-star hotel - there is another chain less than half a mile down the road that is brand new for less $$$.

The staff I encountered was polite and helpful. But honestly it matters little when cleanliness is sacrificed in such an extreme mannor. Yes, I do like to feel respected and welcomed, but I care less for pleasantries when I check-in, sleep, and check-out.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank hodels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Pomona, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Quite a nice surprise staying at this hotel. I got it on priceline.com for about $70 a night and booked two nights. Wasn't thrilled that it was non smoking but I stayed in a courtyard room and went out and hung with the ducks.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. Most of all I loved the workspace provided in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor courtyward room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Enfield, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I visited here after a long drive from NC. went to an event in Suffern. The room was ok, only average, with just your basics. No WIFI just a wired connection to my laptop.

The worst part I think was the location....my room was right on a busy highway, and it was quite noisy. Lots of big trucks that literally shook the room. that is the main reason I give this two stars instead of three.

If I return to this area again, I will pick another location.

Also, I asked on Saturday morning where to find a Walmart or Target...and was told the closest was about 9 miles away. I thought I lived in the boonies.

I ate breakfast on Saturday morning but was not impressed with the staff there...seemed unfriendly or unresponsive, although a maintenance person was most helpful answering my questions about the area. Food was pretty good.

Anyway,, live and learn. Nothing to brag about.

Room Tip: Request an inside room away from road.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

Our room was adequately sized with a comfortable bed. The front desk staff was extremely professional. Check in and out was very efficient. Parking was plentiful. The exercise room was somewhat cramped but otherwise adequate. This hotel faces a busy four lane highway with lots of truck traffic. Request an interior corridor room facing away from the highway to ensure minimal traffic noise.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel because I went to high school in this town. But after I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott, I was reminded of why I left Mahwah. Aside from your rooms (which are very nice), do not expect anything here to work or the staff to care. It starts with the lobby coffee, which is somehow colder than room temperature and probably was brewed that morning and forgotten. A staff person actually watched me try to drink that junk. When I tried to use the pool area on a Friday afternoon, a staff member noticed what I was about to do and immediately taped it up for "maintenance." Maintenance? On the busiest day of Marriott's week? The front desk was no help, understand that these are the same people who brew the 'welcome' coffee. There's fewer staff on Friday night and guests using the hotel services just get in the way of a smooth shift. Maybe Marriott Courtyard's amenities are open on weekdays when nobody is here, but forget about the weekend. The closest you'll get is the brochure. Next time I won't chance getting suckered again. The Sheraton is across the street, has the same amenities, and it's the same price as this mirage.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

I usually stay at a nearby main-hotel chain location. I chose this one as the other had a report for critters recently (only one) and I wanted to give them time to correct the issue (I know they will, and I'll go back there).

The rooms were adequate, average cost for the area (I paid $118) and OK accommodations. I feel like Courtyard locations are nearing an old-age status, and they have not always been well-maintained. This one was just the norm.....again, adequately clean, but nothing I would feel compelled to return to.

The WiFi seemed to have extremely low strength, which was frustrating, especially since I was not far from the lobby.

Staff was all very nice, no issues there.

I think Courtyards need to start offering the breakfast for free, to be competitive, or at least continental style for free & optional extras for a menu price. The eating area did not seem as clean as I would like to see, tables looked like they needed to be wiped, and corners of chairs had me cringing (literally sitting on the edge of my seat to stay away from the nasties in the crevices).

All in all, just OK.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
missjz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Awesome staff, clean place, nice to just get away. We were going to a wedding nearby

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Courtyard Mahwah? Share your experiences!