“Very poor accommodations”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Maple Shade
New York City, New York
“Very poor accommodations”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We booked 3 nights here due to good price and being a chain property. First off, the only redeeming quality was the warm, smiling and friendly front desk staff. Otherwise, our room was a pure dump and generally dirty worn out furnishings.
We booked a double room. The double bed was marginally larger than a single bed. Only two emancipated adults could fit in this bed or perhaps two kids. The bed was cheap quality and offered no support. Room lighting wad dismal and depressing. The curtains were filthy. The heating unit did not keep consistent temperature and was unable to heat the bathroom. The bathroom was like an icebox.
The room offered a kitchenette but only offered 1 chair and small table. I guess they expect the other guest to eat on the bed. Though, the room was the size of a shoebox, so no space for a second chair. Also, no dish detergent provided to wash dishes? Seriously?
Overall, don't be fooled by the nice photos on the website or the outside appearence. Also, don't expect to request a late check out. You will be firmly denied and told you will be charged if you stay 1 minute past 11am. I've NEVER in my life encountered a property that wouldn't offer a courtesy 1 or 2 hour late checkout; and I've stayed at hundreds of hotels in my lifetime. The owners are greedy, cheap and and shouldn't be in the hospitality business. What a disgrace to charge for such a rat's nest room and have boot camp policies on top of it.
Avoid this property like the plague.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paulguyinnj
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Philadelphia - Maple Shade, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Paul - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. In response to your feedback, I am working with the staff to improve our services so that future guests are not affected by the same issues.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at pms@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2014

No pillows, no tv remote, a lot of hair underneith the comforter, the refrigerator smelled terrible and was warm, the night stands were sticky, the bathroom had mold and hair on the ceiling, we had no hot water the morning of day two, the first morning there was men working on the stairs outside of our room at 6 am hammering, laughing and talking loudly, when our room was moved the night of day 2 we were placed in a cleaner room however , we were below a woman who played loud musc, talked loudly and stomped her feet all night long. We make sure to copy and paste this complaint onto every blog site so people do not stay at this location. We were offered a free nights stay the next time we are into an but there is no way in hell we will ever return. Our stay should have been refunded after our experience.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sallamand

Travellers are raving about these Maple Shade hotels

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I would NOT recommend you to stay here! Don't be fooled by the nice pictures!! The outside of this place is nice looking, but the room itself.. The pits!!! First off, the room smelled as if someone had smoked cigarettes minutes before I got there!! I couldn't use the stove even if I wanted to because it had no freaking knobs!! The bed made so much noise when I sat on it, I thought I was on an old creaking floor! The covers, sheets, etc. smelled like someone blew smoke directly on them! I decided to call down to see if I could get moved to a non smoking room (which I asked for when I made the reservation), with a working stove and was told that they could not accommodate me because I booked through a third party (booking.com)!! Everything of mine smelled, no reeked of smoke and I don't even smoke!! I recommend booking.com take this place off their list of deals because this place is not even worth it.. I promise you!!

• Stayed August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Philadelphia - Maple Shade, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for your condition of your room. In response to your feedback, I am working with our staff to inspect our rooms thoroughly to ensure guest satisfaction before check-in. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.

I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at pms@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time your in the area.
Martins Ferry, Ohio
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel from January until June while I worked a local contract. While at the hotel a $50 Kershaw Black Leek knife came up missing from my room. Just like the last time I stayed at a property run by Extended Stay, the end result was very minimal. I had requested (based on my past experience at the Extended Stay America in Allentown, PA) that no staff enter my room when I was not present. What I was told was I could not ask that. I was told that If I didn't want the cleaning staff in the room, that was fine but if maintenance needed to get in the room , they were going in the room. The issue I have with this is pretty simple: this company has demonstrated that they will do nothing when guest's items turn up missing so I do not think it is fair that they also force guests to allow staff in the room without restriction. The manager did do an "investigation" but to my knowledge nothing came of it. I suppose it is feasible I accidently threw the knife out, but I don't think this is likely. I work in health care so the knife would not have left the room with me ( I can't carry a knife at work) and so there is little chance it was lost. I have spent the majority of the last 6 years of my career doing travel contracts and staying in hotels and I have only had items disappear twice, both times at an Extended Stay property. Probably the most upsetting thing was hearing one of the guests talk about how Brenda (one of the front desk staff" really did not appreciate when I came in and got "all preachy" and told her what I expected. Well, that's unfortunate she did not like that but when I am staying somewhere for 6 months straight and paying to do so, it becomes my home and I expect a measure of security in my own home. I should not have had to go spend $300 on cameras for inside the room, just so I could feel safe. The only reason I stayed here was I wanted to work this contract and this place was the only reasonably priced housing in the area. Next time I will pass on the work and I will be sure to tell the client exactly why I am passing. I strongly suggest this company educate their staff regarding the meaning of customer service.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jason D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Philadelphia - Maple Shade, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear that your knife was missing from your room during your stay. While you were here, we did take the opportunity to read the lock on your door. After conducting the investigation, we did not find any other entries other than your room key during the time frame that you reported. Please accept my sincerest apology.

In response to your feedback, I have met with my staff to ensure that we keep anything pertaining to a guest stay confidential. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at pms@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This place is cheaper than everything else in the area and better quality. The room comes complete with refrigerator, microwave, and stove. I don't know any other place that comes with a stove and kitchen ware. Everything is pretty clean here and there's no surprises. Amani and Brenda ensure a fast and pleasant check in experience and are always happy to help if you need anything. Overall my favorite hotel/inn in the area!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Dougletron
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Not bad, has a kitchenette, makes you feel at home that you can cook meals. A little smaller than I thought it was going to be, but otherwise a good stay because it has everything you need. I stayed two times, the second time was a little bit better room wise because it was on the other side of the second floor. I like the updated rooms much much better. It looks cleaner, makes you feel more at home and just puts me to ease.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are updated so make sure you ask for those
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Consider paying a little more to get good average accommodations. Everything about my stay was bad. You get what you pay for! If your standards are low, this is the place for you! I'm all about value but this is one one place to reconsider paying a little more!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Consumer234
Manager-TOH, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Philadelphia - Maple Shade, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am truly sorry to hear you were disappointed with our Crossland Hotel in Maple Shade. I truly appreciate your feedback. We strive to improve by reading and addressing all of our guest concerns. I hope that you will contact me directly at agonzalez@extendedstay.com should you wish to discuss your concerns further. We hope that you would give us another opportunity to make it right!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maple Shade
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#25 of 28 in Mount Laurel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia/Mt. Laurel

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Philadelphia - Maple Shade? Share your experiences!