“Don't eat here !!!!!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Don't eat here !!!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I went to mangos looking forward to a good meal. It ended up being the worst experience at any restaurant I have ever had. I ordered the empanadas and not only are they 3 dollars a piece with barley any chicken in it, they completely fell apart on me. I then recieved my entree which was the BBQ .... My entire meal was burnt to a crisp, i could barley eat it. I had found out after I got there that it is under new management. This could be why the food was terrible. So if anyone out there was looking to eat at mangos in margate I would Definatly rethink your dinner plans.

2 Thank Nautica738

Montreal, Canada
“The secret is out......this one is a winner !!!!!!!”
Reviewed 20 August 2011

While vacationing in Ocean City, NJ my husband and I were looking for restaurants where we could bring our own wine for dinner. We are foodies from Montreal, so we’re looking for something good to eat; and certainly NOT fried seafood!!. We're looking for something special and boy did we find it! This restaurant just opened in June as it had replaced the previous one. Our entire experience was excellent, from the moment we walked in the door. The hostess guided us to a nice table in a pretty dining room. The decor is cute but nothing special. However the waitress who served us was exceptional. She was just chatty enough to be interesting, and white glove enough to know when to disappear. She described each dish so we were able to make informed choices according to our likes. Once our food arrived and we started eating, we knew we had found a little jewel in hiding. After our sumptuous diner, while we polished off our wine, the chef-owner Sam came over and sat at our table for about 15 minutes, and gave us a bit of history about his career and the restaurant. Our dinner at the restaurant was the best and most pleasant evening during the time we were in that area. This is the type of place that you want to keep secret, because everything was just SO PERFECT that you want to go back a repeat the experience numerous times. I wish the best of luck to the restaurant. Keep up the good work! WE WILL BE BACK!!!!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank diane-montreal-450
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“Right in the Latin Neighborhood”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Here's a neighborhood restaurant that's different. It's Latino cuisine in a Margate neighborhood which is not Latin. Don't expect fancy and don't expect comfort. The restaurant is very small and tables are almost on top of each other. Air conditioning is on at full blast, so bring your winter coat.

The main attraction is the food, which is about average. The King has had authentic Cuban food in the past and this is not quite up to the real thing, but in Margate its close enough. I ordered the chicken jerkey - very spicy but good. More rice and plantine than chicken, but I was looking to top it off afterwards any at the Dairy Bar so it was good that I had room for desert.

My wife had the grouper and she offered me up a small sample, which was about average. That small sample was about half of her entire platter, but she was looking beyond that too for the trip to the Dairy Bar.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank KingAtlanticCity
New Jerey
“Terrific Cusine, Informal Atmosphere, Friendly Attentative Staff”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

On a recent trip to Margate, we stumbled upon this restaurant. In discussion with our waitress, we were informed the restaurant recently opened in June, 2011. By the appearances of the folks in the restaurant, it appeared to be a restaurant that was frequented more by locals than by vacationers.
The restaurant is in a small storefront next to an ice cream parlor. The atmosphere is quite informal and it is a BYO (bring your own drinks/wine). However, the food is "out of this world", extremely reasonable, and served by a staff that could not be more accommodative. This was the best South American food I have had in a while. For me this was a five star dining experience, though should one be looking for elaborate surroundings, as often found at beach restaurants, then the rating could fall back to four stars. However, for me, it was a five star experience.
We had started out the evening at one of the known seafood restaurants overlooking the bay. However, it had rained, reducing their outside seating availability, requiring a significant wait to get in. Moreover the staff at this initial restaurant was not overly pleasant. So we headed over to Ventnor, where we had noticed Mangos on a previous ice cream excursion evening. So we stopped in. The lady handling the lobby area was extremely courteous and indicated that she would accommodate us in about 15-20 minutes, allowing us some time to walk down the street to pick up a good bottle of wine.
From the appetizers through the main course, it was a meal to remember. My main course was salmon with South American spices and vegetables. It was a large portion and quite fresh. My wife had a crusted mahi dish that was fantastic. For my appetizer, I ordered the South American bruschetta. Be sure to try this. Of course there were freshly made warm chips and condiments to go along with the meal.
If you are looking for an informal and comfortable evening, a staff that makes you feel at home, and a little different fare than the conventional seashore menu, try to stop by. Also, the meals are reasonably priced, especially given the BYO option.

• Visited July 2011