“You must eat here!”
Review of SOFIA Restaurant

SOFIA Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
SOFIA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 46 Restaurants in Margate City
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Sofia of Margate offers a fabulous selection of eclectic and traditional Mediterranean, Greek, Continental. Celebrate life... embrace our hospitality… enjoy our diverse flavors…. experience cuisine that is good for your heart, body and soul – Experience Sofia Restaurant in Margate.
Reviewed 11 October 2010

After our 3d visit to Sofia, I had to write a review after seeing some of the less than stellar reviews on here. Angela and her staff are the best! When we first went, it was on a “let’s stop in here” to see while looking for a place for our rehearsal dinner for our wedding. We made our decision on the spot. We HAD to have our event here! Angela was a gracious host and the restaurant itself was gorgeous. From designing a gluten free menu for us to accommodating our every whim, she made it happen with a smile and a way that made us feel like her number one customers. The next time, we did our tasting dinner to make sure it was all up to par and the food and service blew us away!

Our latest visit was this last weekend for our anniversary. As usual, the food was top notch (have the lamp chops!), service was incredible and the atmosphere was great. Angela even found time to stop even though she had a rehearsal dinner upstairs.

Put simply if you are looking for a quiet, romantic spot for a great dinner or a place that can host your next event, you shouldn’t look anywhere else!

Reviewed 3 April 2010

I just left Sophias...literally 20 min ago. and I am compelled to write my review.
First off I have no complaints about the food actually it is really good. My husband
& I met the newest chef @ Thanksgiving when he came out to introduce himself
..and tonight (5mo later) his food was fabulous,Branzini ...great, my first sauted Soft shells
of the season.... great and the best brussel sprouts and mushrooms...too die for!!!
The hostess was great saved us a table as far away from the bar...as requested,
and our waiter David, as fate has it, we've had him every time we have been there.
He is also great, remembers us, good service, friendly....attentive, everything you
need is no problem with him!!!
Here is my problem and I gave you a hint when we called for a reservation
and asked for a table away from the bar.................WHY......because this beautiful
Mediterraeen setting of arches,chandeliers, wrought iron and murals is totally (in my opinion) destroyed by the blaring light of the 5 or 6 TVs around the bar and to top it
off, tonight ,country music and rock and roll seemed to be the music of choice when
the "folk singer" wasn't playing. This atmosphere begs for world music, soft greek music,
spanish guitar...anything mellow in this very romantic setting.
So as the title of my review states, Sophia is trying to be too many things...
are they a romantic restaurant or a sports bar?? The energy from the bar and the
mellow character of the restaurant.sadly for me doesn't work.
I will come back to Sophias, because of the food and good service, but it wil be
awhile.....and when I do go back....in the back of my mind, I will hope not to see the
TVs or listen to music that doesn't suit the setting.
Its all just my opinion... such a pretty place, that could be a great dining experience
....just has too much going on.

1  Thank stelladoc
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Awesome bar!!

Reviewed 4 January 2009

Last night my wife and I had a fantastic dining experience at Sofia.

From the time we arrived until the time we left we were treated like guests. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, particularly with giving great recommendations for food and wine. The upscale atmosphere has a distinct Mediterranean appearance, charm and friendliness. The service was efficient, but not rushed in the least. Sofia herself came over to the table and wanted to make sure everything was to our liking.

As for the food--simply unbelievable. Everything was extremely flavorful. We started with a signature appetizer, the Scallops Sofia and they were fabulous. My wife had the lamb chops and I had fillet tips topped with lump crabmeat. Both dishes were prepared perfectly. Portion size was generous and the taste was superb. We had great wine to go along with dinner. Desserts were very tasty and not too heavy. There are many other wonderful selections on the menu so we’ll just have to make it a point to return.

Reviewed 22 November 2008

Last Saturday, we were visiting friends of ours down at the shore and decided to have dinner at Sofia, a restaurant which we heard much about during the past summer. With Margate being a shore resort, it was always packed during the summer months. Anyway, last Saturday, we finally made it over to Sofia and it was such a fantastic dining experience!!!

When we were greeted at the door, we knew that it was going to be a great evening. The hostess was charming and she seated us in the Atrium area---a lovely area with a breathtaking view of the entire restaurant. The restaurant looks like a castle...high ceilings, regal chairs and tables, royal colors..the place is gorgeous. Our waiter was David and he was absolutely great. Very cordial, very accommodating and he gave us very honest opinions of what to order. Everything on the menu looked great---but, David told us what we should order. We shared a few appetizers and salads, and then, we all ordered the lamb chops, which were out of this world. There was still room for home made Flan and Baklava that were simply luscious! All in all, it was a magnificent evening!! We recommend it.....100%!!