“Overnight Stay, Not A Minute Longer” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Marmora
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
“Overnight Stay, Not A Minute Longer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I needed a hotel for one night for a wedding in Ocean City, NJ. After much research, I decided on the Econo Lodge in Marmora because of the proximity to the venue (5 miles) and because it was July at the Jersey Shore, which meant high hotel prices.

For $148 for one night (incl. taxes), we got a room that smelled like a Pine Sol bomb went off - but you could still smell the musty odor underneath it.

Pros:
the linens were very clean
flat screen tv with many channels
hot shower
nice staff
families were enjoying the pool

Cons:
musty room
overpowering Pine Sol smell
shabby decor
rust on light fixtures in bathroom
needed a paint job
depressing
run-down

When we checked in, I asked to use the bathroom. The clerk pointed me to a door that led through work space to a bathroom between the work space and the laundry room, so I locked both doors. I felt bad I was blocking off cool air to the worker in the laundry room, if even for a few minutes. There were no paper towels in the staff bathroom, which is why I would not eat the the breakfast offered in the morning.

I try to be kind in my reviews, but I'd never stay here again. It's pretty bad when you take a shower and keep saying to yourself, "I lived in Russia for two years, so I can spend a night here."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heedybeedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Springfield Gardens, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The front desk clerk was very nice and my room had a flat screen television, clean, fresh bedding on a nice bed. The carpet was nice and clean and newer. The bathroom was updated and clean with plenty of towels, and soap the water was hot. My only issue - the hotel made no effort to provide a decent 'continental breakfast'. There was some coffee and a few stale frozen waffles - literally. I was embarrassed for them. But I slept well, felt safe and for $50 plus tax - I can't complain. But this is below the brand standard with regard to the breakfast.

Room Tip: Let the front desk, no beforehand that you are a Trip Advisor reviewer and plan to submit a review o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

BEDBUGS!!! Clear and simple! Rm 118 Parents in bed for about 10min. I finish watching my movie and right there on the pillow was one bedbug. Flip over the pillow and there was a WHOLE Family of BEDBUGS coming out to feed. We found them before any of us got bitten. We got of there ASAP! Management saw them too. Have pix to prove! GROSS! Management voided our transaction without problem and were apologetic. At 1:30am they could've AT LEAST helped get us a room elsewhere but didn't.
Without bedbugs this place was old. Mildew rings in tubs and sink. Toilet was hard to flush. Rust.
Wanting to avoid anymore Bedbug advances, mom got out of the bed that had lost its support and springiness. She hit her head on the chair arm and landed on the floor. She's got a big bump to show for it!

Honorable mention to staff at THE CROSSINGS in Ocean City, NJ. - after wandering in at 2:30AM to look for another room, we were told that they were full to capacity. The young man at the desk helped us call a number of other places where we could stay for the night. THIS is what Econo Lodge should have done for us!
Econo Lodge follow their example of customer service!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank rysngstr

Travellers are raving about these Marmora hotels

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

I have read a lot of reviews trashing this place and it was not so bad. First I must say when I got on vacation I need a room to sleep in and maybe some wifi. I tend to spend most of the time in the place I am visiting and not in the room. I am not going to study the room like a lot of people on this site did. Yes I have to say for the price this place is average. The room I was in was kinda outdated and the rug not so clean. Sheets seemed clean and overall the room was not bad. The tv was messed up but I could see what little I watched on it. Wfif is very strong so Netflix/amazon worked great. There is a pool but I did not go in. One thing I will say is the hotel in an out of the way place. You need a car to go to and from the place. There is a shop rite right down the road and a few places to eat at. Overall I would say for what you are paying (around $60 a night) what exactly could you expect?? Some people expect a 5 star experience at a 1 star price. Be forewarned you get what you are paying for. Do not expect what you would expect at a 5 star hotel. Sheets where fine towels fine room outdated but you can work with it. I would say if you are going with your family this is not the hotel for you. If you are going alone or with some friends go for it.

Room Tip: I only put terrible for the restaurant/room service because they do not have any. Go to the shop rit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

The last time I was at this hotel in 2006 I gave it 2 stars, but I did say I would be back. Well, I was back there this week with my 2 young daughters and it will be our last. I checked in on Tuesday night, the employee gave me the card key and off I went to our room. I got to the door to find the card swiper was taken off the door and only silver duck tape was there covering the hole. I went back to the office and he said he forgot that the swiper was broken, and handed me a key. I asked him if he thought it was safe, being that there is a big hole in the door and nothing but duck tape over it. He assured it was ok. I didn't feel great about it, but figured it's just for one night so it's fine.

When we opened the door, I checked the beds and all around for bugs. I didn't find any bugs, but one of the mattresses had a big pee stain on it and black stuff on the side of the mattress - it looked like mold, but I have no idea what it was. The 2nd bed also had black stuff on the side of the mattress. So back to the office I went. The owner came with me to check out my concerns. He really didn't know what to say. There were no other rooms available so I asked him to call the Somers Point EconoLodge to see if they had a room. They did, he refunded me what I had paid for the room and off I went to the other EconoLodge.

I'm happy that the owner didn't give me a difficult time about refunding my money and helped me get a room at the other motel, but the condition of the room and beds were terrible. I will never go back!

The EconoLodge in Somers Point was fine. Typical of what I expect of a Econolodge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathryn102
Sunbury
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Although the location was good, I would NOT recommend this place. Room smelled smokey, leftover bar of soap in the shower, general wear and tear, and breakfast left a lot to be desired. All sweets and carbs, and I'm no health freak. I think they try to keep the place nice, it's old and rundown. No signs of any bugs in our room...and I even checked for bed bugs by pulling the covers off. Hope I'm safe!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Let's do a list of pro's and con's:

CONS:
- when we got there the room wasn't ready and they put us in a dirty room to get ready for the event we were attending (we couldn't use a clean one?!?!)

- the cleaning lady cleaned while we were there. She threw the comforter on the floor to change the sheets - she did not change the bed liner which looked skeevy too. She also did not vaccuum OR clean the bathroom, and she left the previous tenant's garbage!

- left the AC on icy cold and when we got back to the room it was an ice box that stunk like hell from the old unit... yuck!

- there was PLASTIC on the mattresses. Yes, plastic! Everytime you moved it was loud crunching underneath your sheet. I was woken up constantly from the noise, worst sleep ever!

- bathroom was filthy! Towel bar was broken and the broken pieces were still stuck to the wall. Tiles were falling off the walls. Mirror was dirty. Sink was dirty. Toilet paper was not replenished. Towels felt hard and were tiny. Tub was gross (mildew all over!). Bath faucet leaked a lot and we heard the "drip drip drip" all night. Ughhhh I didn't even want to use the bathroom I preferred the supermarket down the street!

- the continental breakfast was nothing but sweet stuff. Danishes, donuts, waffles, some rotten fruit, and plain bagels. Not my personal preference.

- there were scary people walking the grounds near our room. One of them even cat called my friend. So uncomfortable!!

- the staff barely spoke english! And the lobby stunk too.

- the pool was disgusting and milky-colored... ewww!

PROS:

- easy to find and right near the parkway.

- right next to a TD Bank, a Wawa, Dunkin Donuts, and Shoprite.

- it was near an amazing restaurant called the Tuckahoe Inn. If you are unfortunate enough to be stuck at this horrific hotel that really needs to be demolished, at least eat there. Soooo delicious, holy moly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank c3c2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marmora
Sonesta ES Suites Somers Point
#1 of 2 in Marmora
Passport Inn
Passport Inn
#3 of 7 in Somers Point

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!