“Dry ribs”

Henri's Hotts Barbecue
Ranked #2 of 80 Restaurants in Mays Landing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was my first time at Henri's. A few friends said to try it because the ribs were good. Well I tired the ribs and they were dry. The sauce was wet. The collard greens were without flavor and they were dry. The Mac and cheese was cooked. That is all I can say about that. The meat did not fall off the bone, in fact the meat held on for dear life. I have eaten at Uncle Dewey's and the ribs are moist and the meat falls the bone. The wait staff is friendly at Henri's but the place needs to put A/C in. Very hot to eat inside the place.

1  Thank Anthony L
There are newer reviews for Henri's Hotts Barbecue

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stopped by last Sunday on the advice of a friend. Very impressed with the food and service. A small place with a small staff but BIG taste. The best BBQ beef brisket I've ever tasted.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Great BBQ, best around here. I think it's better than Uncle Deweys. Probably the best in Jersey.
Sunday buffet for $13 The best meatloaf I've ever had anywhere. No kidding. Super nice people. Red Velvet cake. GOD, was it good!

Reviewed 24 January 2011

JUs loved it.Thye smell was amazing an i knew it was worth thr ride.Thank you

Reviewed 20 June 2010

I drove by this place on my way to an appointment and I just had to stop by the next free chance I had!

Driving 55 mph on Rt. 322 I quickly came up upon a huge wood pile and then the smell of smoke from the smoker! My first instinct was to pull over to find out where he got his wood (I am a BBQ enthusiast and that seems to be the hardest thing for me, finding somewhere to get good smoking wood up here in S. Jersey). Then again, I know how hard good BBQ can be, so if a pitmaster is going to slave over the smoker for hours, the least I can do is to give his BBQ a shot.

So since nobody in my family really likes BBQ, I pulled the "Fathers Day Card" and said that this is where we are going! My twin boys are only 4 yrs old, so they have no say and are picky to begin with. The wife went along for the ride, but I know BBQ isn't her first choice of grub.

You can tell that this is a nice, family run joint. The dad is outside being the pitmaster, and the family is inside running the kitchen, waiting tables, etc...The girls waiting the tables were nice and friendly. Even when my twin boys were kinda being messy, they let us know it wasn't a big deal and they would take care of it (my son was on the floor cleaning the crumbs he made from his dinner roll...)

I had my heart set on a slab of ribs (Full Rack $18) all day long.....However once we got there, we realized they had a buffet of Sunday. The buffet was $12 per person, but there were no ribs on it...Decisions, decisions, decisions....

I took a look at the buffet and the offerings were: dinner rolls, fried chicken, rice, string beans, mashed potatoes, BBQ Beans, steak of some kind, BBQ Chicken, Pulled (actually chopped) Pork, and Meatloaf.

I decided on the buffet for $12, as the the entire family (kids were 1/2 price). One strange thing was once we told them we wanted the buffet, the plates they brought us were styrofoam take out containers. This was strange because when 4 people are sitting at the table, with 4 containers like this, it was just awkward. Pair this with twin boys who don't sit still, and it was a juggling act trying to make sure their drinks don't spill, etc....The nice part was when the one busboy came out to clean the table, he asked if we wanted a container to take some home. The flip side of that was that since those were the plates we were using, they were filled with the bones from the chicken and stuff that we were eating? It was a nice gesture, because usually buffets don't let ya take anything home, but this being a small family run joint makes it ok! It's reasons like this we like trying places like this rather than the Famous Dave's or the Fat Jacks BBQ joints around where we live...

So the food....The fried chicken was OUTSTANDING!

I'll say it again, the fried chicken made the buffet worth it, it was that good. Other than KFC (still my favorite) this was extremely good. The mashed potatoes were very good as well. The dinner rolls were not fresh (might have been sitting out for a while, as they were a little hard), the BBQ beans were average, the rice was plain white rice, I didn't have any string beans.

Lets get to the heart of why I wrote this review...the two BBQ items on the buffet (actually, it is really the pork I want to write about, I'll say BBQ chicken is a BBQ item but it's not something the pitmaster gets up at 4am to begin smoking for me!)

I was a little let down from the pork. The meat was cooked well, as it was not dry and had a good texture. My issue is (and BBQ is definitely a subjective type of thing) is that there was no infusion of smoke into the pork at all? I ate several pieces, actually taking the time to eat it slowly to try to taste and savor the smoke flavoring, and it just wasn't there. It's cool, because my wife hates the smoke flavor, but to me...it's why you have that fancy smoker out front. Also, there was not much sauce on the meat, and since it was lacking smoke flavoring, I thought it just needed something. I didn't taste much in the way of spice rub, and with the lack of smoke....If BBQ Sauce was on the table I would've definitely used it....however it wasn't, and I was not going to ask for more. If I would've, it would've definitely improved the pork (in my opinion). I have learned that I prefer my pork a little saucier than others (whether it be the N. Carolina Vinegar based BBQ or the S. Carolina tomato based style). Just put it on the table and let me decide I say!

The BBQ chicken was dry...Very dry. My wife and I thought maybe it was because the chicken was sitting out on the buffet for a short while, but I don't think so. Chicken is tricky on the grill (don't want it undercooked with salmonella, overcooking makes it dry). It's all good, 'cause the fried chicken was good enough to more than enough make up for it.

I did not eat the steak on the buffet.

I will definitely be back to try a rack of the ribs before I make a more definitive judgment of the place.