“Terrible service”

Anna's Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Anna's Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 52 Restaurants in Middletown
Price range: US$25 - US$38
Cuisines: Italian
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Terrible service”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We just had a Valentine's Day dinner at Anna's. I'm truly disappointed. We had an early seating, and even though the restaurant was empty, we sat for 20 minutes before anyone came to our table and gave us water, let alone opened our BYOB wine. More than 1/2 hour had passed before we got menus. The essence of SLOW SERVICE. We ordered only salads and entrees, yet were there 2 1/2 hours. We asked for our check rather than wait for coffee & desert! I ordered a $41 filet with a sauce & side of pasta, and it obviously had sat under a heat lamb for at least 10-20 mins. Not overlooked, but even the pasta was dry (crunchy, even!). Everything was tasty, but as if it had been sitting for a while. They seemed to have only 1 or 2 waitresses and 2 busboys - far too few for a busy night!
You would think that experienced restauranteurs would know better.
It's been a while since I've been to Anna's, and it'll not be going back - it's too expensive for poor service.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Vincef69
Anna P, Owner at Anna's Italian Kitchen, responded to this review, 12 July 2017
We are sorry to hear about your experience with us. We would like to invite you to join us again for a chance at redeeming our good name. Our menu has changed since your last visit and hopefully you will enjoy our new menu items

Atlantic Highlands, NJ
“Radical downhill slide”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The first time we tried this place a few years back, we had a good meal. Both of us had pasta dishes and were satisfied with them. We came back, and this time, I had fish and my husband had meat. We were disappointed but figured we caught them on a bad night. The next time we went back, it was to celebrate a birthday with a group. What a mistake. Their prices had increased radically, and, as I saw things, they had done nothing to merit it. My husband ordered a veal chop, and that's what he got--$40 for a chop that was grilled and slapped on the plate, no sauces, nothing to make it special, barely seasoned. It was terrible. Nobody liked their meal that night. We also had friends who went at our recommendation from our first visit, and they were irritated with us for it--same complaint--very expensive and nothing special. I am surprised this place is still open.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Mary Jo M
Anna P, Owner at Anna's Italian Kitchen, responded to this review, 12 July 2017
We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to invite you to try us again, we have changed our menu since your last visit as well as most of the staff. We hope to hear from you soon
Wilmington, Delaware
“New Years Eve @ Anna"s”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

A great atmosphere for our New Year festivity. Good food, friendly staff, moderate cost and BYOB. We had an early 7:30PM reservation so that we could be finished prior to the restaurant's 9:00PM GALA as we prefer to celebarte at home with our friends after dinner. Our table was ready when we arrived at 7:20PM. The bread was to die for. All the food was prepared fresh and had that "homemade" look and taste. We would recommend Anna's anytime and often.

• Visited December 2013
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Absolutely the best meal ever!!!!”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband and I set out for this local BYOB on Saturday night as we had read a piece in the paper about this restaurant.This place is located in a unique strip mall with a health club, martial arts studio and the like. Why we never saw it is beyond me... I guess because it sits a little bit back off of the highway. Who knows where we've been for the last ten years!!! First of all, the decor is true authentic Italian, with the large painted dishes from Tuscany on the walls. The owner/head chef is also the imported real deal. Let's start with the Italian bread - it brought me back to my childhood and I have been looking for a reasonable facsimalie ever since. The bottled water was among the best. We split the appetizer special which was a beefsteak tomato with a pate containing shrimp, pignoli nuts, and other delicious ingredients.Then we had our entrees. I had probably the best tender veal that I have had in years, accompanied with great tasting spinach and tasty potatoes. My husband had a bolognese that contained sirloin and other meats. He is still raving about it. We split an order of fantastic broccoli rabe that didn't have those tough end stalks like it usually does whenever we order it from other places. Each piece was so tender and the flavor was great. The service was also top notch. At the end of the meal, the owner came out to personally ask how everything was. And she was very gracious!!! We highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion or personal dining experience. It seems like reservations would be mandatory on weekends.

• Visited September 2013
Anna P, Owner at Anna's Italian Kitchen, responded to this review, 12 July 2017
Thank you for your kind words, we hope to have you join us again for a fantastic meal