“Excellent but not perfect”

Comfort Inn Middletown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had read reviews before making my reservation and I must admit the price had me worried. This is, in my opinion, the only hotel in Middletown, NJ. I tried to put the reviews out of my head. Anybody who knows the area, knows traffic on Rt 35 can be bad. What is nice about this hotel's location is it has a side exit that accesses a side road to a traffic light.
When I walked in, my first impression was the lobby felt small and crowded. There were many papers and flyers promoting local events and activities. The front desk person, Lois, was very pleasant. In fact I later found all of the staff were friendly and professional.
The room was clean and nice. A little warm for my taste, but not enough to complain about. The balcony was clean. Usually there is dirt and/or cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling. I was impressed.
Breakfast had a good variety. The breakfast nook is a bit of a sun room. As the morning progressed the temperature in the room rose into the 80's. (I was told the AC hadn't been turned on yet and it was being addressed. I think an awning would also help the issue)
For those not familiar with the area, this hotel is in reasonable proximity to many venues the Jersey Shore has to offer. I was there to attend my High School Alumni BBQ.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jvan82064
CIGSMGR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Jvan82064,
Thank you for recently staying with us at Comfort Inn Middletown! You are very gracious to highlight so many great things about staying at our hotel, but most especially for highlighting one of our team members by name! Many thanks to you. We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Thanks so much,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Wanted to stay over one night in the Red Bank/Middletown/Atlantic Highlands area. The 3 star Courtyard was all booked so I opted for the Comfort Inn. The overall experience was good. I checked in without any issues. The front desk staff was nice and informative. The front area offers free coffee, tea and some newspapers. There is a little doored off dining area for the complimentary breakfast buffet. Though I did not wake up early enough to take part (6:30 - 9:30AM), the dining area looked clean and well kept. The hotel is only two floors. Parking lot circles around the hotel, which makes it easier for you to get to the rooms as there are about 4 different points of entrance. There was a nice sized pool that seemed clean, but we did not have a chance to use it. I also saw a smaller kiddie pool near the regular sized pool, which I thought was a nice idea. There is a small gym ( about three machines) and a small arcade/game room which has about 4-5 games, but they are very old and outdated. Im not sure if the investment is worth it, but an updating to the game room would be nice. The rooms themselves were good. We got the one king bed room. The room was neat and clean. No funny odors or anything. TV was fine with a lot of channels to choose from. Lot of things that I wouldnt expect in a two star hotel such as iron with board, closet, electronic safe, microwave and fridge. There is actually an Outback Steakhouse that shares the parking lot with this hotel and a shopping center in the adjacent lot. All this made it convenient if you needed to get anything. Overall I was satisfied. The hotel, staff and amenities exceeded my expectations for a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jemlnlx

Dear Jeminix,
Thank you for sharing such a detailed experience of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear we exceeded your expections! I hope you have the opportunity to revisit us and enjoy some of the hotel amenities you were unable to use during your last visit.
Thanks again,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great one-night stay after a local wedding. Saved money by staying here instead of fancy inn in Rumson. Awesome folks at check-in; got us in early so we could prepare for 2:00 wedding. Even called room to make sure we had everything we needed.
Room was clean, modern, spacious. King bed was comfortable. Lots of pillows of varying firmness. Bathroom spotless. Mini-Fridge for convenience. Flat screen TV with lots of channels.
We only stayed the night, but it was convenient, clean, inexpensive, and most of all...friendly. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CTFireman

Dear CTFireman,
We are so pleased to read your awesome review about our hotel and staff! Our team, at the Comfort Inn Middletown, is always working hard to make sure we show our best at all times. Thanks for sharing your experience and we hope you will come back to Jersey and stay with us again!
Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Everyone was pleasant, friendly and helpful. The first room given to us as a non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes. I called the front desk and was immediately shown another room that was great. The rooms were clean. The beds were comfortable and each had two soft pillows and 2 firm pillows - make your choice! I would not hesitate to stay at other Comfort Inn locations after this experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma C

Dear Emma C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Comfort Inn Middletown, NJ! We are pleased to hear your stay turned out fantastic. We welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again.
Thanks again!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale, FL area (actually Deerfield Beach) and I am visiting family in NJ. I stayed here 2 years ago and because of the positive experience, I am back. Nothing has changed and I mean that in a POSITIVE way. If you are visiting the Red Bank, NJ area and want to stay in a better than average motel, stay here. Great staff, clean rooms and grounds make for a better than average bang for you buck. And a decent FREE breakfast. Did you ever go to a motel and smell something funky that you cannot put your finger on, well this place smells CLEAN. I can't explain that but you'll be happy staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Raymond S
CIGSMGR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Hi Raymond S.,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Comfort Inn Middletown! We are so happy to see we did a great job during your stay. Your encouraging words are accepted with gratitude and we truly look forward to another opportunity to have you stay with us. Thanks again for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This hotel has a great location and staff, the rooms are very well appointed and WARM!!!! due to the fact we keep getting a Polar Vortex and snow storms, thankfully warming up slightly to 38 degrees now.

The rooms have a microwave and refrigerator. Wide Screen TV with a good channel choice.

The breakfast is very basic but still good all the same. An older hotel with upgrades.
The Outback Steakhouse is right next door no need to drive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank edodowd
CIGSMGR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Edodowd,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience at the Comfort Inn Middletown, NJ. We are so thankful for your kind words and for taking the time to write about us. We look forward to your future trips to our hotel. Thank you again for telling the world about the Comfort Inn Middletown on tripadvisor.com!

See you soon,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had an excellent 2 night stay here. The room had a very fresh smell when we entered. The bed and pillows put us in a sound and restful sleep. I woke very rested and had a good breakfast in the breakfast area. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elmer T
CIGSMGR, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Elmer T,
Thank you for recently staying with us at the Comfort Inn Middletown. Your kind words really encourage us to continue giving our best to each guest who walks through our doors. We look forward to another opportunity to be your home away from home. Thank you for taking the time to express your experience at Comfort Inn Middletown on Tripadvisor.com!
Thanks again,
Tracy Wolf

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Extended Stay America - Red Bank - Middletown
Blue Bay Inn
Blue Bay Inn
#1 of 1 in Atlantic Highlands
Homewood Suites by Hilton Eatontown

Been to Comfort Inn Middletown? Share your experiences!