“Would Stay Again”

Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton
CT
“Would Stay Again”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our family stayed here as part of the Sesame Place Packages that we purchased. We have no complaints. The breakfast had a nice variety and complimentary light dinner Monday through Thursday was a bonus to hold over until dinner was figured out. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. It's 30 minutes from Sesame Place and minutes from Malls in the area. Everything is right there no need to travel far for dinner. There were some take out restaurants who had issues with Delivery. The address doesn't read in some GPS navigation systems. So if you are ordering Delivery be sure to be clear of the location.

We had a queen suite it had a full kitchen with dishwasher and full sized fridge. Pull out sofa bed and queen sized bed. No dresser space, but plenty of closet space fit a family of four comfortably

If we had planned better, they have a very nice patio area with Grill and fire pit for guests to use. One guest was using the grill regularly and enjoyed it very much. If we stay here again we will bring dinner to cook at night.

One complaint I did have, the dishwasher after I ran it; it wouldn't reset to run another time. I had to call someone to come and run it for me. And even after it ran that time the same thing happened. Also, we left no sign on our door to be sure we received maid service and we didn't receive maid service. I looked at all the documentation to see if there were particular days that they came to the room to give fresh towels and just tidy up. I couldn't find it; I had to call for fresh towels and got them with in 20 minutes.

Glad that sesame has this on their list of hotel recommendations and will use them again if they remain on the list.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper level if you can, our friends stayed on a bottom level floor and had com...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Norwich, CT
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and Children (7 & 2 y/o) stayed at this property in August 2014 fir three nights while visiting Sesame Place. Check-in was seamless, and the hotel staff is very courteous and eager to please. There were many maintenance personnel throughout the property, which made me feel like any problem we encountered would be dealt with immediately. Thankfully, there were no issues that needed attention!

The common areas of the property are very nice. The lobby, pool, and outside seating area (fire pit/BBQ) are all well kept. There is also an onsite laundry facility that charge $2 per wash and 2$ per dry. The front desk will give you free Tide detergent upon request.

The room was smaller than I had anticipated, but was still adequate. There was limited room to extend the pull out couch for my son, so we just left it closed. They offered a pack and play for my 2 y/o at no charge! The room was very clean, with all amenities in working order. It was nice to have a full kitchen with all the necessary items.

Complaints I have regarding the room are as follows: we were on the first floor near the exterior entrance and the constant slamming of the exterior door, and the feet stomping above us were an annoyance. The bolt latch on the exterior door didn't line up properly making it difficult to close. The interior doors to the closets and mechanical room were worn and didn't match the exterior door. The bi-fold closet door's track was damaged which caused it to come off the track often. There is not a door between the shower/toilet area and the sink/mirror area. Lastly, the full-length mirror is mounted in an unusual location directly opposite from the toilet. One does not need to bare witness to themselves while doing certain things.

The breakfast was very good, with an adequate seating area. However, there is limited seating for families as the majority of the tables were small round tables. There were only two square tables capable of seating 4 or more people, along with a raised counter seating area in the back.

Overall, I felt that this was a good hotel but I am not sure the cost was justified. I would stay there again, but not before looking for something less expensive.

Room Tip: It may be better to opt for a second floor room to avoid noise from exterior doors and noise from ab...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a great place. The Staff are friendly and ready to help. This was really a good experience and I swear I didn't expect to have Breakfast and Dinner here. But, I tell you, it's great. We stayed about 2 weeks and never had an issue. Rooms were clean, TV worked, Oven worked, everything just....worked. If you have a business trip or even a family trip and time outside is just bogging you down. Go to the Residence Inn on US Highway 1. Sit down in the lobby, have a coke, maybe even a bowl of Chili and just relax. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Edward Q
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I live residence inn but this was worst than a roadside motel. Breakfast was terrible. Juices were watered down, eggs did not look like eggs. Room was large but really looked depressing. I just cant get over that it was residence inn.

• Stayed July 2014
Thomas R, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you Ghazala K for your feedback from your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the experience you had with breakfast. We are thankful for the opportunity to hear your feedback as it will help us improve our guest service overall for our future guest and review our training with our staff. Thank you again for your feedback and staying with us on your recent trip to the Princeton area

Travellers are raving about these Monmouth Junction hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

First of all we picked this hotel because we planned on bringing our kids to Six Flags Great Adventure for the weekend. It was about 6 different families totaling 31 people including children. It only made sense to stay in a room that could accommodate each family comfortably.

I booked a bi-level loft suite, which was perfect for us as it offered a room with a full kitchen, a Murphy bed and sleep sofa, full bathroom with two TV's on the main level and on the loft level had a queen bed with a TV as well and bathroom. It was a really very nice suite. Price wise it was $180 per night with my AAA discount which was not bad at all. It included buffet breakfast daily for everyone so it is actually a steal with free parking as well.

The reason for my title is there were little things service wise that could have been better and it's only because I work for a boutique hotel brand that boasts 53 plus properties in our collection and close to 40 more in the pipeline as well as 3 additional brands and one iconic brand getting ready to launch, that I am very particular when it comes to service. We have no hotels in NJ at the moment so choosing this property was my option at the moment.

Again it is a very nice property with a lot to offer. Just a few tweaks on service would make such a remarkable difference. We checked in on Friday night at about 10:30pm after a 4 hour drive full of traffic with 3 exhausted children. By the time we got to the front desk, we were met by Valerie (I think) and I gave her my credit card and said can we pay for everything right now, to which she responded I wish you would have told me that ahead of check in so I could have done it but it's checked in already so we will hold the total plus the amount and charge at check out. So I said OK that's fine. Although in my head I thought lightening fast hands, who checks in someone that quickly. Anyway we make it up to our room and start to get the kids settled when we noticed that the sofabed was not made up so we needed sheets. I looked and looked for extra sheets in the room and nothing. I called down and Valerie mentioned that they are in the closest in a bag. I looked again and saw nothing. I called bag telling her unfortunately I didn't find anything. She said "OK (sounding exasperated) I will send the houseman". We waited a good 30 minutes and then called back and she said "He didn't come yet?" I said no, maam. She said "OK I will call him again". Then I waited another 20 minutes still nothing. I called again to which I got another lady, who unfortunately, got my not so nice tone this time around and she put me on hold and I could hear her asking Valerie, if I called 3 times, to which Valerie said well he left already. The lady came back and said I apologize but the Houseman left without telling anyone. I said OK thanks. Then 5 minutes later I hear a knock on the door and it was the very nice over night lady who I just spoke to bringing the sheets and I could tell she ran to our room because she was out of breath. She was very great and apologetic. I regret not getting her name but she was of Indian decent. I think Valerie could learn and thing or two from her on service.

As far as the next morning, breakfast was as expected for a free service, long lines, not enough food and quality lacking as it was about quantity. No complaints there, because it's free so you can certainly go purchase breakfast and be happy. Which is what we did the following day.

Overall, I would stay there again with my kids because of the room size and it was definitely a Residence Inn. Take that however you may. It's about a quick turn around versus luxury. You wouldn't book for luxury anyway.

Room Tip: Bi Level loft suites are the way to go for families.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thomas R, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you janelleandjamescash for your feedback from your recent stay with us. It's great to hear our spacious rooms could meet the needs for your trip and I would like to apologize for the experience you had with requesting items during your stay. Giving us an opportunity hear your feedback will allow us to coach our staff and review procedures to ensure any issues our addressed. We will also acknowledge the associate who did demonstrate great customer service by delivering you the items you did request. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we hope to host you again on your next trip to the Princeton area.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived at this hotel after staying in 2 other Marriot Residence Inns. We booked a two bedroom suite - it is not that at all. One of the beds comes out of the wall and neither space has a door.
We arrived in our two bedroom "suite" and had 1x 30oz saucepan, and barely a dining set for 4. Despite 3 visits to reception it took 10 days to get a set of cookware.
The internet connection was terrible, unreliable and slow (which we expected as the other Marriotts were terrible as well) - our phones were faster and more reliable. Whilst here the wi-fi system was changed to hi-speed - for $5 EXTRA A DAY!!!
That was ludicrous so we kept the free option, only to find we were limited to 3 connected devices! Of course, disconnecting one of them did not allow a fourth.

Overall my review is go to the Extended Stay across the road.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you Andrew M for your feedback from your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the confusion on the room type and the lack of follow from my staff. We do have Penthouse rooms that have two beds but unfortunately they do not close to two full bedrooms and for that I am sorry for any misunderstanding that may have occurred. They have a loft type set up that remains open on the second floor and one of the room types, does in fact close off to a private bed room but it does not sound like you were in that room type. I will review the follow procedures with my staff to ensure they are following up with request properly, as 10 days in not the proper way to follow up with request by any means. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your feedback.
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Residence Inn is my choice hotel for traveling. My husband travels with his company and the children and I come with him and enjoy museums and local spots. So we need a place big enough for 3 kids and us. There are 3 Res Inn in the local area. This one, Cranbury-South Brunswick, and the one near Carnegie Center. (And I hope Princeton-South Brunswick reads this, because there are a few things I would change)

This isn't the most up to date Residence Inn, this is the could-be-an-apartment type. However, I really like this one, vs my choices for the area. We get the lofts, any time we are in this type of Res. Inn. It benefits us because we are night owls, and the kids have NOT learned to walk quietly, so we keep them on the upper loft area after 10pm. (I find it very interesting that Yelp! gives this place a 2 star and tripadvisor gives it a 3.5-wonder if it's a type of person thing)

If you need food, Trader Joe's is down route 1, as is a lot of dining spots at Marketfair. Also try Halo Pub-it's a must and can get busy at night. (google it, as it is not walking distance-but they do have a small selection in the sundry) Nothing is walking distance, except the berries on the bushes in the summer- and they are slightly tart, but my kids liked them.

What I like about this place, the pool is a nice and relaxing spot; they offer pool noodles for the guests. The layout of the area seems to be so welcoming people begin talking to each other, reminds me of the way people act at a winery; a welcoming outside environment to enjoy the company of others. Outside of the pool area is a nice seating place with gas fireplace in the middle, another welcoming aspect. They offer dinner M-Th, which was actually decent food, and included pecan pie this last time I ate, which gave it an A. Their sundry carries a good selection of food & diapers and the local favorite Halo ice cream, which can also be enjoyed at Halo Pub. (try it! no carageenan!) They also provide fruit infused water at the front desk, which has fast become one of my favorite things! Cool, refreshing, totally awesome! I feel welcome here to wonder the grounds with my kids, the pond nearby had Canadian Geese visiting, frogs, and lots of berry bushes. Feeling welcome, is VERY important to me. (but please don't call my room making sure I don't want room service when I have the don't disturb sign up, I really mean I don't want to be disturbed, that includes a phone call.) The grounds have a lot of plant diversity and are kept up. Their toasters are newer than I have seen at other Res Inns, which is actually important to me ;)

The downsides are that they need new pillows, possibly new beds, but def pillows. If we are in the murphy bed loft, I can feel every toss and turn my husband makes. And this last time one of the sides was a little loose. I like the murphy bed idea though, because it really opens up the room when the kids and I are in the room during the day. The internet did go wonky on us one night, but I think it was my computer having too many Chrome.exe running because once I turned it off and back on it seemed to run OK. It is not super-fast speed, but most hotels aren't. I have definitely stayed at more up to date Res Inns. But the pros outweigh the cons, and I will be here before I ever go back to the Res Inn Cranbury-South Brunswick. In winter, I will probably try to go to the one near Carnegie Center as they have an indoor pool and food close-by. If they update the beds and a little more TLC in the rooms, it will be just an awesome place!

I haven't stayed at the Residence Inn Princeton near Carnegie Center, which I assume people like because it books up fast. And it really is walking distance to a nice selection of food places. So if taxi/ walking that may be the best choice. I will review the alternative for the area on their page Residence Inn Cranbury-South Brunswick. IF you are in the area and are not normally so close to NY, & like cheesecake, do make an hour trip to Brooklyn and try Junior's cheesecake.

Room Tip: Get a loft, I keep hearing the other rooms are noisy from foot traffic. Get upstairs and this isn...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Extended Stay America - Princeton - South Brunswick
Holiday Inn Princeton
Holiday Inn Princeton
#12 of 15 in Princeton

Been to Sonesta ES Suites South Brunswick - Princeton? Share your experiences!